Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Look, from my perspective the number of bookeen's developers or how long they have been working on their project is irrelevant
Well, it does. Two devloppers will program faster than one. You can to more stuff in two month than one. That's just the way it is.

Quote:
I'm a customer. I'm interested in the final product and how it compares to other products.
Quitte true.
When chosing the reader, i went looking for the availible options. Looking what fonctions each reader have and all.
Result is, the Cybook does what i exepted it to do. If fonction X is important to me, then i'll make sure it does have it, and it works properly.
I knew that reading pdf's woudn't really works. And decided that well, i could live without it. If not, i would have chosen an other device.

An updates comes to improve pdf support ? All the better. But I woudn't have bought a reader hopping that fonction x i need will comes with a might never comes update.

Quote:
The problem seems to be elsewhere. But all my ranting and complaining and whining has only ONE purpose and that is to help Bookeen improve their product, so that they have more customers and bigger revenue and the best parties
If i were to try a guess : the e-book market is very small. In france, i bought the Cybook in october last year, it was the first reader availible in france. Folowed by the Sony some times later. Small market means not a lots of sales , means not a lot of money.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-18-2009 at 03:54 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I know, I know. I'm being unfair and petty. I'm really sorry for that.
You're absolutely right. I knew what I was getting into with cybook and I was happy at the time and it's still a wonderful device even if there are no more updates.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #18
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
At least it does look the same - the menu looks nice aswell!

Too bad I am not able to read the text
Uhm ... Be careful. The Cybook itself has undergone at least a cycle of development, the first one had 64 Mb RAM, the second one has 512 Mb RAM, and maybe (according to the latest FW version) a 400 MHz processor. I say maybe, as nobody really seem to know exactly. Externally the look exactly the same. True, the FW seems to be the same.
The Pocketbook seems much faster, graphicwise, than my Cybook, which has 512 Mb RAM (I do not the processor, I do not want to open it).
I agree, though, that the menus are mothwatering. One has to look at the reader implementation, though. Anybody from Ukrain can tell us anything ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Quitte true.
When chosing the reader, i went looking for the availible options.
Me too. i looked at what the company said and tried to guess what their approach to openness, respecting the GPL (which they still do not respect) and energy for implementing new features. I feel totally mislead by what the stated before the Cybook relese.

Also very early they promised folder support in the next firmware release and they broke that promise. Instead they release a firmware with a lot of bugs and where the battery time has been been reduced to half of what it was before. That is incompetence.

And yes, I work as a programmer.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #20
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

I found a mention on the-ebook.org indicating that one of the previous iterations of pocket book was indeed EB-100. Doesn't the idea of having this FW on cybook tickle your mind just a bit?
This is a snippet of the version changes translated by google
Quote:

* (301.09), the serial number in the "Information about the device" on the EBR-100 is displayed in a sequence of zeros (more)

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-18-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #21
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
I have to admit that I love my Cybook too much to try out a stunt like installing another developers firmware.
I also doubt it would work - both developers have some kind of software running that is used to do the update, I doubt it would install any software but the one that is ment by the developer.
So - I'm a covert when it comes to trying out stuff nobody else did before.

On the other hand, as soon as anyone managed to successfully do (and undo) it, I'll be the first to check it out - and if only for the gorgeous text-input-idea

Last edited by Pulp; 03-18-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #22
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
I have to admit that I love my Cybook too much to try out a stunt like installing another developers firmware.
I also doubt it would work - both developers have some kind of software running that is used to do the update, I doubt it would install any software but the one that is ment by the developer.
You're right. It doesn't work.
The firmware that is already in place must have som update function that reads the new image from the sd card.
For one thing, pocketbook and cybook use different keys to launch the update sequence. You would have to reflash the device with a complete firmware in some different way for it to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter
If i were to try a guess : the e-book market is very small. In france, i bought the Cybook in october last year, it was the first reader availible in france. Folowed by the Sony some times later. Small market means not a lots of sales , means not a lot of money.
Who says they have to restrict themselves to french market. I'm not french, cybook doesn't even have a distributor in my country. Nowadays the bussiness is carried out on a global scale with internet and all that. I'm sure Bookeen has customers all over the world and the potential market is also global. You just need good arguments to convince would-be customers to order a device from a small company like Bookeen and have it shipped over half the world.

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-18-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #23
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Who says they have to restrict themselves to french market. I'm not french, cybook doesn't even have a distributor in my country. Nowadays the bussiness is carried out on a global scale with internet and all that. I'm sure Bookeen has customers all over the world and the potential market is also global. You just need good arguments to convince would-be customers to order a device from a small company like Bookeen and have it shipped over half the world.
True. But then it make little sence for a company not to sell in thier own contry, where less shipping cost and law nastiness are involved. You could probably order from the bokeen website, but just going to a shop to get the reader, well.

Quote:
Also very early they promised folder support in the next firmware release and they broke that promise.
Did they promised folders ? I woudn't know i wasn't there. And well, folder support is coming. Later than exepted, but coming nonetheless.
And anyway, i woudn't make the decisions to buy or not on "we're going to do that" sentance. Delays hapens, decisions changes.

Quote:
That is incompetence.
Well, even as a programer, I would be wary of saying that unless i have all the facts.
It's just like saying "bokeen is doing a good job". We don't know about it.

Quote:
Instead they release a firmware with a lot of bugs and where the battery time has been been reduced to half of what it was before.
Mmm, what firmware version are you talking about ? Battery seams to have a long life enough for me.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #24
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I'm sure Bookeen has customers all over the world and the potential market is also global. You just need good arguments to convince would-be customers to order a device from a small company like Bookeen and have it shipped over half the world.
I fully agree, I just hope that bookeen is really aware that they could jump to the top of the list of all non-touchscreen-6" devices currently available if they only delivered that long-awaited update in time.

They already have the lightest device with a firmware that beats others in so many ways - if they keep their promises and deliver the updates before somebody else does they have a lot to win.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, even as a programer, I would be wary of saying that unless i have all the facts.
It's just like saying "bokeen is doing a good job". We don't know about it.
Not testing the release with respect to battery time is pretty bad since it is an important parameter. I am pretty sure that the battery time was reduced when they tried to fix another bug (missing of keys pressed) and that the design of the whole system is so bad that solving the key press problem (probably by just increasing the polling) affected the battery time so it was halved.

Quote:
Mmm, what firmware version are you talking about ? Battery seams to have a long life enough for me.
The first firmware had 6-7 days with the Cybook on all the time. The firmware release with the bad time had around 3 days. In later releases they managed to increase it to around 4 days but it is still not as good as in the original release.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #26
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Not testing the release with respect to battery time is pretty bad since it is an important parameter. I am pretty sure that the battery time was reduced when they tried to fix another bug (missing of keys pressed) and that the design of the whole system is so bad that solving the key press problem (probably by just increasing the polling) affected the battery time so it was halved.

The first firmware had 6-7 days with the Cybook on all the time. The firmware release with the bad time had around 3 days. In later releases they managed to increase it to around 4 days but it is still not as good as in the original release.
You seam to be reading a lot, or have a faulty batery, because i can't manage to empty the battery in such a short time.
My Cybook is down at 70%, after 3 day, and I spent some time reading.
I would say it hold 2 weeks, with about 2 hours reading / day.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You seam to be reading a lot, or have a faulty batery, because i can't manage to empty the battery in such a short time.
My Cybook is down at 70%, after 3 day, and I spent some time reading.
I would say it hold 2 weeks, with about 2 hours reading / day.
You can say so but you would be wrong. I have actually done empirical experiment of this and others here have gotten the same result. The battery display is not linear. Notice that this is with the Cybook on all the time.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #28
EowynCarter
Wizard

[QUOTE=tompe;399062]The battery display is not linear[\QUOTE]
Yup, i noticed that.

Quote:
You can say so but you would be wrong.
Two week is about the time that happend between me recharging the Cybook, and the moment i found myself witout battery for forgeting to rechage.

To be more presice, reader came back from support on february 2. I recharged the reader once fully, and once the batery was about half empty. that's quitte a gap between 4 day and that.

Quote:
.Notice that this is with the Cybook on all the time.
Ah, that may be the differance. I do switch it off. Though it's not supposed to use much power, maybe it does.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah, that may be the differance. I do switch it off. Though it's not supposed to use much power, maybe it does.
Well, if you design it for having good battery time (like the Bebook and the txtr reader) you will get it. The time I measured was without using the Cybook, just having it on. For me 30s or more startup time is to much for occasional reading during the day.

I would guess that the battery time the Cyook have is what you get if you do not optimize for battery time at all and just program the device with the applications you need with the most straightforward approach.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #30
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
the first one had 64 Mb RAM, the second one has 512 Mb RAM
As far as I know, that's not RAM, that's internal storage space (think "hard disk").
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote