Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #46
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Here's my EVO with light usage, 4 days, 3 hours, 46% battery left....
I'm pretty sure there is an issue with HTC phones and Gingerbread. My HTC phone also shows "Dialer" as the second biggest battery drain even if I haven't made a single phone call.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #47
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I'm not sure I get the point of lock screens at all....I understand security ones (maybe face unlock, password unlock, tracing a pattern, etc) but the ones that just slide to unlock? What's the point?

It stops buttons getting randomly pressed if the device gets turned on in your pocket, etc...
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #48
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Here is a video that shows it working much better than it did on stage. Seems fast too...although I probably still won't use it, haha.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/i...ck-demo-video/

I'm not sure I get the point of lock screens at all....I understand security ones (maybe face unlock, password unlock, tracing a pattern, etc) but the ones that just slide to unlock? What's the point?
Just to prevent inadvertent phone calls, etc.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #49
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It stops buttons getting randomly pressed if the device gets turned on in your pocket, etc...
Yeah, I guess that could be but as you said....its got to get turned on in your pocket first. On most of the phones I've had, the wake up button (turn on screen button/power button/whatever) is rather hard to hit accidentally.

I do appreciate Ice Cream Sandwich (and other apps) making the lockscreen more useable though. In ICS, you can unlock directly into different apps such as the camera, screen brightness, etc.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #50
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
or their dead head?
Quote:
MacBeth unlocks MacDuff's phone: The News International phone-hacking scandal continues in gruesome way!
hahahahaha hahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just to prevent inadvertent phone calls, etc.
Did you here the story of the bloke who inadvertently hit redial and phoned his wife while he was having dinner with his mistress. The wife overheard the whole conversation.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Did you here the story of the bloke who inadvertently hit redial and phoned his wife while he was having dinner with his mistress. The wife overheard the whole conversation.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #52
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Perhaps by this time next year there'll be a tablet with this that interests me. Trying to get at least 9-10 months out of my Sony.
Now I have doubt whether to buy iPad 3 or not. I won't if Android 4.0 Tablet releases with HD screen.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #53
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Couldn't you hold up a life size photograph of the owner's face?
Interestingly, it looks like a photo on a smartphone fools it:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-57...ce-based-lock/

Quote:
A video demonstration created by mobile blog SoyaCincau shows that the Face Unlock feature can be fooled by showing it a mere image of the face used to set up the locking mechanism.

Given the video demo, it's unclear why a Googler would have suggested recently that using a photo would not open up a device protected with Face Unlock. Last month, Koushik Dutta, a developer of the Android after-market firmware replacement CyanogenMod, tweeted: "The face recognition unlock thing is really easily hackable. Show it a photo."

In response, Tim Bray, who is on the Android team, tweeted: "Nope. Give us some credit."
But you still need a photo of the owner's face-something that a casual thief probably won't have.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #54
mewmartigan
Guru

It is funny that it worked with a picture of someone's face. However, I really think that face unlock is just a neat convenience feature. I'd be surprised if Google tried to advertise it as a security feature. "slide to unlock" isn't exactly security either and you can see the fingerprint pattern of many "grid unlock" if you angle the phone right.
Passwords will probably be the most secure for a while to come.

The Motorola Atrix had a fingerprint scanner....and the Atrix 2 does not. So I guess either nobody cared or it didn't work well enough.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #55
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
It is funny that it worked with a picture of someone's face. However, I really think that face unlock is just a neat convenience feature. I'd be surprised if Google tried to advertise it as a security feature. "slide to unlock" isn't exactly security either and you can see the fingerprint pattern of many "grid unlock" if you angle the phone right.
Passwords will probably be the most secure for a while to come.

The Motorola Atrix had a fingerprint scanner....and the Atrix 2 does not. So I guess either nobody cared or it didn't work well enough.
I think the idea is pretty cool-it is tedious to type in security codes all the time, just to respond to a text. But phones have so much personal data now, it would be insane to leave them unprotected.

I think the biometric approach is still in its infancy-I hope Google and "Moto-oogle" keep exploring it.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #56
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I have a couple of "real" locks on my front door, and a little twist lock on my bathroom door. The lock on the bathroom door isn't really "secure," but I'm glad it's there, as it does provides some protection for my privacy, even if it provides no protection from a determined burglar.

I think face recognition is like the bathroom lock, and I think that's okay. It would stop random coworkers/family members/etc. from just looking at what's on my phone, while being much more convenient than constantly typing in a 4 digit (or more) code.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #57
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Can't tell how this is cooler than the previous versions, since I don't have any android devices.

But I'm curious: why does all android marketing look like it's aimed at PG13 crowd? It's always sone kind of fighting robot with freaking laser, transformer, or in this case, tron ripoff. I've seen ads that show no human, not even a hand model, opting instead for a robot arm.

I know android phones outsell everything else, so apparently it works. Or the product succeeds despite the marketing.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #58
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Can't tell how this is cooler than the previous versions, since I don't have any android devices.

But I'm curious: why does all android marketing look like it's aimed at PG13 crowd? It's always sone kind of fighting robot with freaking laser, transformer, or in this case, tron ripoff. I've seen ads that show no human, not even a hand model, opting instead for a robot arm.

I know android phones outsell everything else, so apparently it works. Or the product succeeds despite the marketing.
I assumed it's because of the name, Android. You know, droid... I really liked the Droid commercials.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #59
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

The robotic commercial are part of Verizon's DROID campaign. These are Verizon exclusive high end phones. Verizon sells Android phones and their trademarked DROID(tm) phones. Both are Android devices.

HTC, Samsung, etc... do air regular commercials but their spin is on the phone not the platform. They probably just don't catch you eye like the DROID commercials, kind of shows you the marketing genius of Verizon.

The samsung spider commercial is one of my favorite ones, I still laugh every time I see it.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #60
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
(***SPIDER VIDEO***)
The samsung spider commercial is one of my favorite ones, I still laugh every time I see it.
=X=
If someone takes a shoe to my phone like that, I'm going to beat them into unconsciousness with a cactus.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, nexus