Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook reader should I get?
Sony PRS-650 53 42.06%
Nook 10 7.94%
Kobo 11 8.73%
Kindle 3 46 36.51%
Other (Please post and let me know which eBook reader) 6 4.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
ruel
ruel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Question I'm going to get an eBook reader for the first time. Which one should I get?

Basically, I just want the eBook reader to read books. I don't care about fancy music players or games. There are other devices for those. First of all, I live in Canada so a few types of eReaders aren't easy to purchase here. I will probably not be getting my books from the stores within the eBook reader. Rather, I will get my books on my computer from various stores or free sources. I think they generally come in the ePub fromat, so compatibility with ePub is important. Additionally, I won't need 3G or even wifi. Decent PDF support would also be nice, but is not mandatory. As long as PDF's that are formatted for a 6'' reader are easily readable, that is all I really need. Furthermore, being able to jump to specific pages in a PDF would be nice. The only other important factor for my decision is price. Hopefully I can get a reader that is $200 CAD or less.

I've done a bit of research so far and this is what I've come up with.

Sony PRS-650 ($230 CAD): It seems to have all the features I want and even has pretty good PDF support, but it's at a price a little too high for my liking.

B&N Nook ($150 US = $154 CAD): This seems like a pretty decent reader and it's cheap. Sadly, it isn't available in Canada so it might be hard to get one.

Kobo ($100 CAD no wifi or $160 CAD wifi): For $100 dollars it seems like a great deal, but I hear that the PDF support is not so good. EDIT: It looks like the $100 dollar Kobo is not going to happen. They have to be picked up locally and there are almost none left.

Kindle 3 ($140 CAD no 3G or $190 CAD 3G): The Kindle 3 is priced well and it seems to be a well reviewed reader. Sadly, though, it doesn't support ePub files and it probably would get very annoying having to convert most of the eBooks I get to a usable format.

So what do you guys think? Should I get one of these four readers or something else entirely?

Last edited by ruel; 11-30-2010 at 06:00 PM.
ruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
If I were going to buy one of these, it would probably be a Kindle. If your main source is going to be free books from the web, most of these sites-- here, Feedbooks, Smashwords, Manybooks, etc. offer books in Kindle format as well as ePub. I had a Sony and liked it. It was well made and I never had a problem with it, and I spent considerably more on mine than $230. So even though it is more expensive, that would be my second choice.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
If price is your primary concern -- Kobo, it will read your books, and since that is your primary concern, it's the best value. As soon as you start looking for more advanced features - other than reading your book, then I'd recommend Sony as my second choice. Since what I was looking for in a reader for myself required a few extra features, and since price was not my primary concern, I ordered a Sony, but for others in my family, I've recommended a Kobo, from what I can see it's a cost effective unit.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
The Kindle is well priced because it is really a Trojan horse for Canadian customers.
Sony eBooks are touchscreen which make them full of glare and low contrast.
I live in Canada, and have the same needs as yours, I m comparing Nook WIFI, Kobo WIFI and Bebook Club.
Kobo is a great machine but not sure if is sturdy enough or not, we have no custom fee to pay as a Canadians,
The Nook WIFI is gorgeous too but a little more expensive plus the custom fee.

Personally I leaning towards Kobo in this moment.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
The Kindle is well priced because is really a Trojan horse for Canadian customers.
I have no idea what that is meant to mean?

Quote:
Not true any more. The 350/650/950 have more than adequately addressed that issue.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
erictoma
Banned

Where did you find KoBo a 100 $ this a really price.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
ruel

Quote:
The Kindle is well priced because it is really a Trojan horse for Canadian customers.
I live in Canada, and have the same needs as yours, I m comparing Nook WIFI, Kobo WIFI and Bebook Club.
Kobo is a great machine but not sure if is sturdy enough or not, we have no custom fee to pay as a Canadians,
The Nook WIFI is gorgeous too but a little more expensive plus the custom fee.

Personally I leaning towards Kobo in this moment.
I heard that the new infrared touchscreen on the Sony PRS-650 reader doesn't cause any glare or low contrast. I thought it was just the older touchscreens in the 600 that had this problem. Am I wrong?

EDIT: Also, the Kobo is $100 in stores only at Chapters, but it has no wifi. You can check if a store near you has one here.

Last edited by ruel; 11-30-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel View Post
I heard that the new infrared touchscreen on the Sony PRS-650 reader doesn't cause any glare or low contrast. I thought it was just the older touchscreens in the 600 that had this problem. Am I wrong?
No, you're right. Erictoma is wrong.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I have no idea what that is meant to mean?
They give you well priced machine but force you to buy only from them !
the real issue is that half of their books are not available for Canadian customers and you cannot buy from other stores but kindle read only its native format.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
erictoma
Banned

Quote:

EDIT: Also, the Kobo is $100 in stores only at Chapters, but it has no wifi.
I'm a newbie lol, but I have read that sonny 650 has less glare ! but is still has this issue.
I hate sonny gadgets by the way
thanks for the info about kobo
Old 11-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
They give you well priced machine but force you to buy only from them !
the real issue is that half of their books are not available for Canadian customers and you cannot buy from other stores but kindle read only its native format.
OK - thanks. I do not own a Kindle, so I can't comment on whether or not that's correct, but I do now understand what you are saying.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
erictoma
Banned

To order this 99 $ Kobo you have to go in person in their office in Toronto before 9 Dec 2010 lol

read this :
OFFER DETAILS

You may purchase as many eReaders as you wish.

The price for these eReaders is 99 dollars plus HST ( 111.87 total.)

Orders sent to Kobo before 3pm on the Thursday of a week will be ready for pick up at our office on the Friday of that same week.

THIS OFFER ENDS ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2010 at 3PM.

Orders may only be picked up and paid for in person at Kobo’s Office:
364 Richmond St W Unit 300
Toronto, ON M5V 1X6
Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
ruel

Quote:
To order this 99 $ Kobo you have to go in person in their office in Toronto before 9 Dec 2010 lol

read this :
OFFER DETAILS

You may purchase as many eReaders as you wish.

The price for these eReaders is 99 dollars plus HST ( 111.87 total.)

Orders sent to Kobo before 3pm on the Thursday of a week will be ready for pick up at our office on the Friday of that same week.

THIS OFFER ENDS ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2010 at 3PM.

Orders may only be picked up and paid for in person at Kobo’s Office:
364 Richmond St W Unit 300
Toronto, ON M5V 1X6
I guess I missed the fine print. Where did you find that info anyways?

EDIT: I just found out where that is from. It's from a different deal for friends/family of Kobo employees. The $99 Kobo is still available, but very few stores have any left.

Last edited by ruel; 11-30-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
I'm a newbie lol, but I have read that sonny 650 has less glare ! but is still has this issue.
Again, not true!

Quote:
I hate sonny gadgets by the way
No shit?!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
I guess I missed the fine print. Where did you find that info anyways?
In you link

Tags
canada, kindle 3, kobo, nook, sony prs-650