Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #1
wayamauro
Connoisseur
wayamauro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KindleDX
Italics not working on 505

Hi everyone, I have been converting some books to epub and lrf, and while testing them on the computer the italics show up, when transferring them to the device (SOny 505) there are not italics.
What am I doing wrong?
Also, what's up with the page numbers and epub? I mean, it never gets it right, there is always a double page number (1-2, 2-3...etc) How can I fix that?

Thank you for your help in advance.
wayamauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
For italics, you might have to show us a small sample of the input and output files for a good guess. Italics works fine for me in epubs or lrfs I make and in RTF files.

For the page numbers, if you mean the one at the bottom of the display, it's because a "page" in Adobe's epub reading software is determined by number of characters and not by how many words fit on the screen. THis means the page numbers refer to the same block of text across all devices, and across all zoom levels. This has the effect that the page boundary is usually somewhere in the middle of the displayed text instead of at the bery bottom of the display, so you are on two pages at once.

I think this was changed in the latest firmware update so that it chooses whichever page number is lower.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Thank you for your reply Radius.
I think I may have missed the last update on the device, I will go ahead and check.
As for the italics, let me re-check because I don't really know what's going on, I will check with a few more books and see.

Again thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Radius, my firmware is up to date(also the sony software would let me know if it is out of date when the device is connected to it, right?). Do you know what the latest firmware is? I think I am doing it right, yet I am not getting full justification on the epubs. Is that normal? Only LRF gets full justification?

Thanks again

Last edited by wayamauro; 07-23-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Just passing: epubs don't do full justification on the 505 - the software's not up to it.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
Just passing: epubs don't do full justification on the 505 - the software's not up to it.
Thanks for the input...I only use LRF now.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
You can try our firmware www.ebookapplications.com, it does have full justification for ePubs, as well as it might help you to get italics right (Does not read LRFs though, but reads a lot of other eBook formats which are not supported in the original firmware).

It also co-exist with original Sony firmware so you can always load the original if you want. Installs is just copying files to internal memory, so you can delete it as well just by removing the files
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookapps View Post
You can try our firmware www.ebookapplications.com, it does have full justification for ePubs, as well as it might help you to get italics right (Does not read LRFs though, but reads a lot of other eBook formats which are not supported in the original firmware).

It also co-exist with original Sony firmware so you can always load the original if you want. Installs is just copying files to internal memory, so you can delete it as well just by removing the files
Thanks. I tried your firmware 3 weeks ago but i had problems with epubs. Some didn't open, some were not justified or looked very different from the original epub, I had no idea why. I left some messages on your forum after trying it.
I waited a couple of weeks for the release of the new version, then when it came out a couple of days ago, I tried it but still, it seems the epubs don't look like the original, I wonder why. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Truth is I love many of the features of your firmware, including the interface and the fact that it supports a lot of formats(wish it supported .lit, prc or mobi though). All in all, the addition of the dictionary and other features such as PDF support and font types on epubs, etc...makes it a winner for many.

Thanks for your input. Keep up the good work.