Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Recharging Sony PRS-505 "on the road"

I had a rather frightening experience this week when I recharged my Sony PRS-505. I was on travel, and I hadn't brought my charger along.

I first attempted to charge it via USB from my netbook, but succeeded only in draining the battery. I then plugged it into my Tekkeon mobile power unit which I have used to charge devices such as mp3 players, etc. I plugged it in when I went to bed, assuming it would be ready to go when I woke up in the morning.

When I first looked at my reader in the morning, everything seemed OK...until I pushed a button to select a book. Nothing happened! I tried another button...still nothing. The reader was not responding to any button, including the off switch.

I tried to reset it with a bent paper clip, but this didn't work either. I was finally able to shut it off by holding the off switch for several seconds, but the reader still didn't respond to any buttons when I turned it back on. I also noticed the "lightning bolt" near the battery level indicator was on, even though I had long since disconnected it from the Tekkeon.

I wasn't looking forward to a repair bill or deciding on a suitable replacement. Fortunately, after several on/off cycles, everything returned to normal. When I arrived at home, I immediately charged it using the normal charger, and it charged with no problems. Hopefully, there will be no further problems.

Needless to say, I won't try that trick again! When I travel, my GPS unit is the first thing I pack. From now on, my Sony charger will be the second!

Be careful with mobile power units!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sound advice
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
I would charge the reader with a PSP charging cable instead. With mini usb cable the reader has to on which will result in less effective charging. The PSP cable on the other hand can charge the reader when it's completely off.
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Steve,

Since you are a long-time MR member, I'm a little surprised that you were not aware that USB chargers don't work with the Reader - it has to be one of the most discussed topics around here!

As has been said, PSP chargers work just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
USB chargers don't work with the Reader
Harry, I have ALWAYS charged my 505 by connecting to the USB port on my PC and have never had any problem(s).

What might you be referring to in the quoteback?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Usb charging from the computer works fine. Usb charging from the wall socket drains the battery instead of charging it.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry - I am aware that attempting to charge the Sony reader via USB doesn't work, unless you're charging with USB from a computer. But I first attempted to charge the reader using my Netbook (which was plugged in), but it still drained the battery. Perhaps the power supply in a netbook isn't sufficient to run the computer and also charge the reader.

It's when I used the Tekkeon portable power (runs on batteries) that I got into trouble. One of the Tekkeon tips fits the DC input on the Sony, so I used that input rather than the USB input. I've used the Tekkeon to charge other devices, with no problems. But it caused a huge problem with my reader. I was very concerned when my reader would not respond to any button I pushed. Draining a battery is one thing, but I thought I had "bricked" my reader. I'm still not sure why it so adversely affected the reader; my guess is that the Tekkeon wasn't providing the required 5.2 volts to the Sony.

Fortunately, the problem was resolved with no apparent lasting effects. I definitely won't be doing that again, and hopefully my near miss with killing my reader will prevent similar problems for others.

Thanks.
SteveK
Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, Steve, I misunderstood you, and thought that the "Tekkeon" you referred to was some variety of USB charger.

The plug might have fitted the Reader's socket, but was it the correct voltage (5V) and polarity (positive tip)? Always check those things before plugging in a cable, or you could do damage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I bought one of those iGo universal adapters. I have separate tips for my cell phone, Reader (PSP), GPS and iPod. 4 chargers in one small package. The PSP tip charges the Reader well. If you travel a lot, the iGo is a worthwhile investment.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Harry - I am aware that attempting to charge the Sony reader via USB doesn't work, unless you're charging with USB from a computer. But I first attempted to charge the reader using my Netbook (which was plugged in), but it still drained the battery. Perhaps the power supply in a netbook isn't sufficient to run the computer and also charge the reader.
I've had problems charging from a computer when using a 1.0 USB port instead of a 2.0 port; it drains instead of charging. Also, leaving it plugged into a sleeping computer drains instead of charging.

It's possible that some netbooks don't put enough power in the USB ports to charge a device.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
if you install the sony e-book reader programm on your netbook, then you can charge it there via usb.
i did that when i was in lower back rehab for 5 weeks in germany and had no probs with charging.
netbook asus aspire 150 with win xp and sony reader program (old version - the one which did not work with win7)

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
SteveK
Addict

Harry001 - I've now installed the Sony e-book reader on my Netbook, but haven't yet tried to charge it. I'm curious why having the program installed would make it possible to charge the reader on the Netbook when I was unable to do so previously. The only guess I can make is that perhaps it prevents the computer from going into Sleep mode, which can also drain the reader, per Elfwreck.

In any event, I'm going to let my battery run down a bit more before I (try to) recharge it on my Netbook. Thanks for the comment!

SteveK
Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
hey steve,
there is one other thing:
if your netbook is running on win7 or vista there is an other problem:
go to start - (options - in German its einstellungen) - that folder where you can change everything - system - drivers - usb-devices
there you have at least -3- usb-hubs
click on each one of them - preferences - power options and disable the option which take power when going to sleep

sorry my compi in front of me has all in german and is working on xp (we are an old fashion german governement office)

that will stop the computer from taking away the power from the usb-ports while sleeping.

i herad in older postings, that the reader does not charge from usb, if the sony programm was not installed. never tried that - but seems possible.

keep reading - and my be some karma would do me good ...;-)

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
You can charge the Reader via any USB adapter (wall, computer, car/cigarette, etc) if you use a USB cable that plugs into the AC adapter plug in the Reader.

Something like this or this should work.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I keep a wall charger for my smart phone & my 505 in my shaving kit. Whenever I pack to go out of town they're both already packed.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote