Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
Equine
Neigh!
Equine began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Smile 'nother newbie.

Hi everyone.

I'll be honest, I've visited this forum ever since I got my first mobile reader (Sony's 505).
I'm also a Calibre user and not touched Sony Connect since I discovered it.

About me;
I'm in the South UK.
I love classic science fiction, with the likes of H.G. Wells as one of my favourite authors, as well as a lot of other genres.
Depends on my mood really.

I hope I can find the time to become very active here and contribute to discussions regularly.

Thank you for reading and if there's anything else you'd like to know, just give me a poke.

Edit: Thought I might also mention that I'm learning to play the Flute.

Last edited by Equine; 10-19-2008 at 05:58 AM. Reason: an afterthought.
Equine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Welcome to MobileRead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Hello and welcome to the forum. Lots of SF fans here it seems, and too few fantasy fans
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Equine and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
mothel
mothel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hello! I'm from Dublin, Ireland. I got a present of a sony Reader but I don't actually have it yet as it's out of stock till next week. I'm an avid reader of contemporaryand classic fiction and my baggage is always over weight allowance going on hols each year because of all the books I needed to take with me which is why my husband thought the SR is the perfect gift for me. Can't wait to get my hands on it and I hope the share my experiences and yours on this forum. as a complete beginner my first stop is going to be the "ebooks" forum to find the best and cheapest way to find books!
mothel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothel View Post
Hello! I'm from Dublin, Ireland.
Welcome. I always love an Irish gal's accent. Carly Smitson was one of my favorites on American Idol (not sure if you watch that.)

Anyway... we love to see you here. And, if you read classics there are 10s of thousands of ebooks you will be able to read without every paying more than your internet connection fee and a few seconds of download time. In additional to the d/l section here check out feedbooks.com and manybooks.net which also have Sony format ebooks.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-19-2008 at 04:18 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I always love an Irish gal's accent. Carly Simon was one of my favorites on American Idol
You probably meant Carly Smithson (aka Carly Hennessy before she got married).
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome to MobileRead. Glad you finally poked your head up to say "hello".

Where in the South UK are you? I've spent quite a bit of time in southern England -- mostly around Winchester and Southampton. I'd really like to make an extended stay (3-6 months) after I retire if I could afford it.

I have a Sony PRS 505 as well -- and like you, I've not used the Sony Connect software at all. I have used Calibre for book conversion, but have not used it to load books onto the Reader. I simply use the operating system facilities to copy the book files onto the device.

Since you like science fiction, you'll be pleased to know that much of the classic SF that is out of copyright is available here at MobileRead. Unfortunately, SF got its big start in the 1940s and most of the body of literature is still under copyright. So, check out the free books at Baen.com and then follow the links to their Webscription site to purchase even more SF. There are a number of contemporary SF writers who have released their books with Creative Commons copyrights, who have given their books away at their web sites, or who sell them directly from their web sites. Some who give away the books have put up a "tip jar" so that readers who enjoy the books may pay for them kind of like the ShareWare concept. Also take a look at what's available at Fictionwise, Books-on-Board, and other online book stores.

Not all the stores sell books in the Sony LRF format. If you find them in the ePub format, your Sony Reader should handle those (assuming that you've got the current software level on it). If you don't find LRF or ePub, many of the Sony users have had a lot of success in removing the encryption (DRM) from either MobiPocket (.prc) or Microsoft Reader (.lit) files and then converting to the Sony LRF format with Calibre. I have converted both MobiPocket and Microsoft Reader files, but I have not worked with a DRM file yet.

As I said, welcome to MobileRead. You'll find a number of folks from the UK who hang out here.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Equine
Neigh!
Equine began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Where in the South UK are you? I've spent quite a bit of time in southern England -- mostly around Winchester and Southampton
I'm in Hampshire where both those towns also are. (not really willing to specify any further yet)

Quote:
check out the free books at Baen.com
My FAVE fantasy book of ALL TIME was published by Baen. 'Dun Lady's Jess' by Doranna Durgin.
That book has so far cost me a small fortune, about £65/$100 just on that single title. (signed copies etc)
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have that and it's two sequels in a digital format but Baen don't seem to be able to supply it.

Can anyone help?
Equine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
You probably meant Carly Smithson (aka Carly Hennessy before she got married).
Yep... DOH!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum. Lots of SF fans here it seems, and too few fantasy fans
I'm a fantasy fan, but mainly of the classics of fantasy.

Check out some of the uploads here that were also, at at earlier point in time, part of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series edited by Lin Carter.

I'm thinking Machen and E.R. Eddison, just to name two.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm a fantasy fan, but mainly of the classics of fantasy.

Check out some of the uploads here that were also, at at earlier point in time, part of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series edited by Lin Carter.

I'm thinking Machen and E.R. Eddison, just to name two.

Don
Will try. I'm now waiting for prs-700 to come out and I'm stockpiling ebooks for it .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equine View Post

Edit: Thought I might also mention that I'm learning to play the Flute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothel View Post
Can't wait to get my hands on it and I hope the share my experiences and yours on this forum. as a complete beginner my first stop is going to be the "ebooks" forum to find the best and cheapest way to find books!

Hello and Welcome to both of you!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote