Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #166
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
What I don't understand is folks dumping higher quality iPads for the Mini. Guess size and weight matter most.
YMMV, but...

I have never been tempted by any of the standard iPads, up to and including the iPad 4. I acknowledge the beauty of the Retina screen but size and weight were the reason.

On the other hand, I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my iPad Mini Wifi+Cellular, which I ordered immediately pre-orders opened.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #167
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Totally agree. No way I would sell my iPad3 to buy a mini. I could see someone with an iPad1 or iPad2 going that route, but not with an iPad3 as that would be a major downgrade on multiple levels.
The day before I got my mini I would have totally agreed with you. When I got the mini it was to use as an e reader while I still carried my iPad to work and to meetings.

But here's the surprising fact. Since I bought the mini the iPad 3 has sat unused on my desk at home. I boxed it up tonight. It's going to be sold.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #168
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
A couple of questions for those who already have the Mini:

Have you tried using a bluetooth keyboard with it yet?
No. The mini keyboard (with two thumb typing) is fine for the typing I need: replying to forum posts and emails and searches and dashing off lists. I'll use my computer if I need extensive typing for something.

Quote:
I would like to have a subscription to Reader's Digest or possibly other magazines so I could read them on the Mini. Is that possible and how?
You can get subscriptions to magazines via Apple's own Newsstand or the Zinio app or Amazon or Nook and some magazines have their own app. Magazines are one of the things that are better on the larger retina screen of the full sized iPad, but the magazines I've previewed still look pretty good on the mini.

The only magazine I've been using on my mini is The Economist (which I'd already been using on my iPod Touch) and I might ask for a subscription for a Christmas present. I like their free weekly selection of 6 articles and the ability to zoom to increase the text size and I especially like the audio download which can even be listened to offline. They mentioned calibre this week in their "Newspapers versus Google" article.

Last edited by Synamon; 11-13-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: multi-tasking = bad grammar
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #169
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Trying it last night in Best Buy, web browsing was literally lightning fast. Even the rep from Apple was surprised considering the amount of gadgets connected and using that network.

Favoring the Mini over the third gen is about 50/50 now on a Mac forum I have been browsing with the latter indeed being sold.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-15-2012 at 01:40 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #170
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
I own a Nexus 7 and it is only about 1-2 ounces heavier than an iPad Mini, but when I held it, it felt extremely light, much lighter than the Nexus 7. I can literally fan myself with an iPad Mini, arms not get tired, no problem.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #171
jswinden
Nameless Being

Another issue I can see being a problem with me and an iPad mini is the very narrow bevel when held in portrait. In an attempt to keep the mini narrow they have used a bevel so narrow that there is no way I could hold it the way I do a Kindle or even the iPad3. My thumb would constantly interact with the screen. The only solution would be to cup the mini in my hand, which would not be comfortable or very useful. I admit that I thought Amazon had lost their minds when they increased the width of the Fire HD by giving it a wider bevel. But now that I have one I admit it was a smart design change as my thumb never accidentally interacts with the screen like it did on the original Fire. The ipad3 also has a wide bevel which prevents my thumb from accidentally interacting with the screen.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #172
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Palming the Mini with my left hand is what I was doing with the demo unit best buy had but not set up on the kiosk then. Any interaction with the screen was with my right hand, the left thumb always completely under the Mini.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #173
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Palming the Mini with my left hand is what I was doing with the demo unit best buy had but not set up on the kiosk then. Any interaction with the screen was with my right hand, the left thumb always completely under the Mini.
Cool, but I would never hold it like that due to fatigue and lack of one handed operation. I find it extremely fatiguing to hold anything in my palm for very long, but I'm sure others don't necessarily have that issue.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #174
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Another issue I can see being a problem with me and an iPad mini is the very narrow bevel when held in portrait. In an attempt to keep the mini narrow they have used a bevel so narrow that there is no way I could hold it the way I do a Kindle or even the iPad3. My thumb would constantly interact with the screen. The only solution would be to cup the mini in my hand, which would not be comfortable or very useful. I admit that I thought Amazon had lost their minds when they increased the width of the Fire HD by giving it a wider bevel. But now that I have one I admit it was a smart design change as my thumb never accidentally interacts with the screen like it did on the original Fire. The ipad3 also has a wide bevel which prevents my thumb from accidentally interacting with the screen.
Supposedly, Apple has written software for the mini that "knows" when you're just resting your thumb on the edge of the screen and does not register that as an interactive touch. They mentioned this in the keynote. I haven't tried it out so I don't know how it works, though.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #175
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Supposedly, Apple has written software for the mini that "knows" when you're just resting your thumb on the edge of the screen and does not register that as an interactive touch. They mentioned this in the keynote. I haven't tried it out so I don't know how it works, though.
I saw a video demoing this. Apple anticipated the narrow side bevels would present a problem. I forgot to test this the last time I was at an Apple store, but I never had any touch screen reading or tapping problems.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #176
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Holding on to the screen past the bezel doesn't register as a touch. It's actually a bit annoying, since intentional touching near the bezel often won't register either, you have to make a very definite tap with the pad of your finger to get any action at the edges of the mini.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #177
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Holding on to the screen past the bezel doesn't register as a touch. It's actually a bit annoying, since intentional touching near the bezel often won't register either, you have to make a very definite tap with the pad of your finger to get any action at the edges of the mini.
That's unfortunate to hear. I take it you own one? If so, could you give an example of some apps where it caused you problems? I imagine games might be particularly affected. Likewise, turning pages in reading apps.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #178
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
That's unfortunate to hear. I take it you own one? If so, could you give an example of some apps where it caused you problems? I imagine games might be particularly affected. Likewise, turning pages in reading apps.
Tapping or swiping to turn pages in reading apps works fine. A few poorly designed apps have small icons at the corners of the screen that don't always cooperate. I haven't had as much trouble for the past week, so my technique was at least partly responsible.

ETA: Oh sorry, I didn't give an example. Safari is particularly troublesome, the icons are tiny and the back arrow in the left corner doesn't like me.

Last edited by Synamon; 11-20-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #179
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
For those of you who already have the iPod Mini..... have you tried one of the bluetooth keyboards with it? I remember trying the on screen keyboard and it was okay but I sure wouldn't mind a larger, bluetooth type keyboard for it.
I've got a foldable Bluetooth keyboard I use for mine. I can throw it in my handbag to deal with any urgent code fixing
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #180
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Reading Experience on Mini?

Friday there will be a big sale on these, so I urgently need to know if the lower-resolution screen is a problem for reading with the Kindle app. Can someone with experience in reading on the iPad mini please comment on this? I was disappointed with the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kindle Fire HD. I should mention I have older eyes re: lighting.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote