Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #166
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
No problems at all.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #167
OpenGG
OpenGG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenGG View Post
Hi, I have used this hack for a day or two, it really helps
But I also met some issues:
1. Can't use ttc fonts and renaming *.ttc to *.ttf doesn't work, converting to .ttf is a must.
2. Can't boot when restarting (menu->setting->menu->restart), the power led just goes off after taping power btn. And I have to connect to pc through usb to help booting.
3. After restarting, it returns to default font, and I have to reconfig, refresh font caching and restart the framework.

Is it just me or everybody running into these issues?
Plus, I'm using wqy-microhei, and my fonthack directory is like this:
wqy-microhei
|wqy-microhei.ttf
|wqy-microhei Regular.ttf
|wqy-microhei Bold.ttf
|wqy-microhei Italic.ttf
|wqy-microhei Bold Italic.ttf

And it comes to 20MB, is it the size that causes these issues?
OpenGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #168
kindleholic
kindleholic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.0
More Fonts.... TESTED on K5 Touch

Here I am dropping some fonts that I tested with ixtab's hack, enjoy reading....
Attached Files
File Type: zip Palatino Linotype.zip (983.2 KB, 1776 views)
File Type: zip Segoe.zip (1.23 MB, 1928 views)
File Type: zip Trebuchet.zip (328.5 KB, 1631 views)
File Type: zip Verdana.zip (410.9 KB, 1808 views)
kindleholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #169
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenGG View Post
Plus, I'm using wqy-microhei, and my fonthack directory is like this:
wqy-microhei
|wqy-microhei.ttf
|wqy-microhei Regular.ttf
|wqy-microhei Bold.ttf
|wqy-microhei Italic.ttf
|wqy-microhei Bold Italic.ttf

And it comes to 20MB, is it the size that causes these issues?
We had that exact discussion a week ago. It is most probably caused by the ttf sizes. Scroll a few posts up.

PS: Of course you can't just rename some random file to .ttf and expect it to work. You wouldn't just rename a .pdf document to .txt and then expect it to be plain-text, would you?

Last edited by ixtab; 03-29-2012 at 01:29 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #170
cool2sathish
cool2sathish began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello desirumguy,

I'm trying to read tamil ebooks,but not able to read tamil ebooks. can you please tell the detail steps you did. I'm new to using KT.
cool2sathish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #171
OpenGG
OpenGG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
We had that exact discussion a week ago. It is most probably caused by the ttf sizes. Scroll a few posts up.

PS: Of course you can't just rename some random file to .ttf and expect it to work. You wouldn't just rename a .pdf document to .txt and then expect it to be plain-text, would you?
Sorry for that, now I see these posts.
I will try delete the italic and bold italic version of the font and see.
OpenGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #172
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

you need all 4 types to get them integrated. Deleting 2 types does not work.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #173
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Depends on what you do.

The original poster with the problem had created *additional* configuration files to include chinese fonts, which are not "managed" by fonthack, but still included by fontconfig, because *all* properly named .conf files in the fonthack/ directory are considered by fontconfig. And in these manually created .conf files, you're free to do whatever you want.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #174
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
New fonts on Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleholic View Post
Here I am dropping some fonts that I tested with ixtab's hack, enjoy reading....
Those fonts were added to the Custom Fonts on Wiki

jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #175
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Only works in K4 Touch? Or K4 NT as well?
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #176
diba
Addict

Tried it on K4, installation has to be done "manually", no success.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #177
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
FYI - I jailbroke my Kindle Touch Wifi with special offers just so I could get ixtab's font hack. I don't have any other hacks installed. I was able to upgrade to 5.1 with no issues at all. Just an FYI for anyone who wondered. Of course your mileage may vary. I backed up my Documents folder before doing it just in case....
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #178
diba
Addict

Does the font hack work on 5.1 as well?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #179
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Only works in K4 Touch? Or K4 NT as well?
FYI the Touch is a K5, not a K4. The number is the firmware major version number. There was some confusion in this forum when both the K4/Mini and K5/Touch were released very close together, and unless forum members go back and correct their old posts, this incorrect kindle "model naming convention" will live (in infamy) forever.

There is no longer any need to call a K4 a "K4NT". Just K4 will do...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #180
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Does the font hack work on 5.1 as well?
Fonthack doesn't work on 5.1.0. here's the error message:

The item you attempted to open is incompatible with this Kindle. Please try to update your Kindle from Settings. ....
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks