Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Mojoman
Enthusiast
Mojoman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
More Softroot Questions

I am very knowedgable about computers and used to do my own programming in Basic years ago, but I must say I feel like a total Noob with this softroot. I have questions in another post and now I have more.
I used Trook for the first time today. I went into the NookDevs area and downloaded my first app. Very simple, a calculator. Worked like a charm. That's where it ended. I tried to download Market and APDFViewer. Both downloaded and installed ok but when I went to add the icons to my launcher they were not there. Instead there was 3 new ones, Wifi Locker, Wifi Lock and Nooklets. I didn't even download these. I added the icon thinking maybe it was just a mislabeled icon and pressed it, it tells me to download the app from googlecode .com and install it. I've tried 3 times and the same thing happens. Now I have these 3 icons showing up when I try to add others and can't figure out how to get rid of them. Any help with this?
Thanks.
Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
As far as I know, wifi locker, wifi lock and nooklets come with the base softroot distribution - you didn't install them because they were already there.

How are you installing your applications? The market app you tried to install works really well for updating and installing apps, but it doesn't work at all if you can't see it! Which launcher are you using?
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Mojoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle Addict View Post
As far as I know, wifi locker, wifi lock and nooklets come with the base softroot distribution - you didn't install them because they were already there.

How are you installing your applications? The market app you tried to install works really well for updating and installing apps, but it doesn't work at all if you can't see it! Which launcher are you using?
As far as I know I'm using the launcher that came with the softroot. After I softrooted and added some of the Icons to the touchscreen I don't remember seeing the two wifi and nooklets buttone to choose from. It seems I remember them being there after I tried to download the Market and APDFViewer apps. I tried to get these apps using Trook. Is there another method to try instead? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Mojoman
Enthusiast

Finally got it figured out. Using "sarahsbloke" instructions in another post I went to the NookDevs site and downloaded the apk files for Market And APDFViewer to my computer, copied them to the internal sd card to the mypackages/unknown folder, ejected the Nook, went to Trook and just clicked on the file. Market installed and I found the correct button for launcher. APDFViewer installed and has no button. When I opened a pdf file it gave me the choice of using APDFViewer or the regular reader. I tried both and based on the file I tried the regular reader was much better. The APDFViewer app made the text very light and in some cases completely jumbled on the page. At least I've got this part figured out. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoman View Post
Finally got it figured out. Using "sarahsbloke" instructions in another post I went to the NookDevs site and downloaded the apk files for Market And APDFViewer to my computer, copied them to the internal sd card to the mypackages/unknown folder, ejected the Nook, went to Trook and just clicked on the file. Market installed and I found the correct button for launcher. APDFViewer installed and has no button. When I opened a pdf file it gave me the choice of using APDFViewer or the regular reader. I tried both and based on the file I tried the regular reader was much better. The APDFViewer app made the text very light and in some cases completely jumbled on the page. At least I've got this part figured out. Thanks for all the help.
Glad you figured it out! Lately, I have come across a couple of PDF files that APDFViewer just messes up completely. I'm not sure why it is only on a few files - I'll have to dig a bit to see what's unique about the files being garbled.
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Mojoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle Addict View Post
Glad you figured it out! Lately, I have come across a couple of PDF files that APDFViewer just messes up completely. I'm not sure why it is only on a few files - I'll have to dig a bit to see what's unique about the files being garbled.
I've tried 4 different pdf files now with APDFViewer and none of them are legible at all. The stock reader seems to work better. Maybe there will be a decent pdf viewer some day.