Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
dhynesok
dhynesok began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs down Dropped Kindle I

We accidentally dropped our Kindle I today. It would not power up and the screen was messed up. We called Kindle support. The rep was very nice and helped us attempt to reset the Kindle. The reset didn't work so the only other alternatives were to have Amazon ship a replacement Kindle I for $180 plus shipping or to buy a new Kindle II.
The Kindle I obviously is very fragile and yet no warranty was available. We were told the Kindle II is more robust and also has a 2 year warranty available for $60 that permits one claim for accidental breakage.
So obviously, Amazon has thumbed their nose at the Kindle I buyers by having provided an inferior product in terms of its ability to stand up to a minor accident. Amazon has now totally focused on the new Kindle II and is providing no thank you for the Kindle I buyers who helped get the Kindle off the ground in the first place.
I believe Amazon should provide the Kindle I buyers a break both towards trading up to a Kindle II or for when the obviously fragile Kindle I quits working after a minor accident. I feel that Amazon has treated us poorly with respect to the Kindle II buyers who benefited from the Kindle I buyers experience and suggestions for improvement. The Kindle II users are getting the much better deal for the same money - a better quality of construction and an affordable warranty.
So, hey Jeff Bezos, how about a break for your early adopters who want/need to move up? Otherwise, I think your reputation is going to be tarnished by rebuffing the Kindle I buyers.
dhynesok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
First, Welcome to MobileRead, dhynesok.

Personally, I don't think Amazon owes you even what they offered.

Thats why I treat mine like glass. The 'fragileness' of it has been known since day one.

You dropped it, and I''m sorry to hear it. Really, my heart went "oo" when I read your post.

However, it was your fault, not Amazons, and I think the $180 offer is more than fair.

That being said, with what they're doing now, I would go for a Sony. But, thats just me.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
That being said, with what they're doing now, I would go for a Sony. But, thats just me.
Though don't expect that Sony will be any more generous if you drop it. It's the same glass substrate on the screen and also quite fragile. Even if you drop it during warranty, they won't replace it.

I'm sorry you dropped your Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Though don't expect that Sony will be any more generous if you drop it. It's the same glass substrate on the screen and also quite fragile. Even if you drop it during warranty, they won't replace it.

Okay, just to stay clear on the subject, i wasn't talking about the Sony's 'hardiness'.

I think any bookreader will be much more fragile than phones or ipods.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Early on Amazon was replacing broken Kindle 1s for free. I know because my first Kindle 1 (purchased the first day it was available) stopped working about 2-1/2 months later. It was dropped a couple of weeks before it stopped working so I honestly don't know if the drop contributed to the failure.

Sometime last spring or summer Amazon stopped the free replacement and started charging. $180 is probably what it costs Amazon to replace the screen so you need to decide if it's worth it to you.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post

I gotta say though, I dropped my Reader from three feet onto asphalt, and all that happened was it chipped the corner. I might have just gotten lucky though

But I thought Amazon did offer an extended warranty for the Kindle 1? Other than that, I think that what they offered was acceptable. It is more than one most companies would do. You dropped it, Amazon shouldn't have to pay for that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
But I thought Amazon did offer an extended warranty for the Kindle 1?
No, just on the K2

there was discussion about a company, "Square Trade?"
that was offering warrantys.

Haven't heard anything about them lately.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhynesok View Post
The reset didn't work so the only other alternatives were to have Amazon ship a replacement Kindle I for $180 plus shipping or to buy a new Kindle II.
Did you ensure the battery was inserted/seated properly. It may have poped out when you dropped the thing.

Does it just not turn on... blank screen?

Quote:
So obviously, Amazon has thumbed their nose at the Kindle I buyers by having provided an inferior product in terms of its ability to stand up to a minor accident. Amazon has now totally focused on the new Kindle II and is providing no thank you for the Kindle I buyers who helped get the Kindle off the ground in the first place.
Wow, that's a stretch. You broke the device. They offered you a new one for less than half price of a new one and you feel they are "thumbing their nose" at you?

Quote:
I feel that Amazon has treated us poorly with respect to the Kindle II buyers who benefited from the Kindle I buyers experience and suggestions for improvement.
Has everything you bought that came out with a new/improved model had a nice trade in deal of some kind?

Did you tell them that you did nothing different than the "drop test" that they showed on video when the K1 first came out?

Were you nice to the CS rep, or did you give him the same attitude your post seems to have?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Ouch! Bob,

Though I agree with you, I think you may have a bit of a "attitude" in your response. Lets all play nice

Any dropped computer (and I think the Kindle would qualify for that description) would not be covered under a warranty normally. It would be classified as owner caused and warranties generally cover only defects in the device. The $65 additional warranty being offered for K2 does allow for one incidence of breakage which i think is pretty dang generous.
As for giving K1 owners a break, i thought they did get one when they were offered to go to the head of the line during the pre-release promo. Amazon doesn't owe them anything frankly.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Though I agree with you, I think you may have a bit of a "attitude" in your response. Lets all play nice
I was just being honest and forthright. To me "being nice" doesn't mean I can't speak my mind. I did not insult this person or call them names.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thats why I treat mine like glass.
Er, it is glass - the screen substrate, I mean, which is what the original poster has broken.

No manufacturer's warranty will cover dropping your machine. That's your fault, pure and simple. It's certainly not the manufacturer's fault.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
We accidentally dropped our Kindle I today. ... ... ... The reset didn't work so the only other alternatives were to have Amazon ship a replacement Kindle I for $180 plus shipping or to buy a new Kindle II.
I think Amazon is being very generous in offering a half-priced Kindle to users who have dropped or otherwise damaged their Kindles. I'd take them up on the offer in a heartbeat.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
€120/$180 seems to be the "standard price" that all the manufacturers charge for replacement of a 6" screen. It's probably pretty much what PVI charge for the part.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
As for giving K1 owners a break, i thought they did get one when they were offered to go to the head of the line during the pre-release promo. Amazon doesn't owe them anything frankly.
Which didn't up mattering since it was all fake hype as the K2 has never once been sold out.

I agree they don't owe them anything, but it would have been a nice gesture if they could have sent in their K1 for some kind of discount--then Amazon could fix it if need be and sell it used and probably make some money rather than just having people sell them themselves on Craigslist and eBay.

Not that I'm complaining since I'm happy to have gotten a K1 for $200 off Craigslist.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
kcyates
kcyates began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile

I bought my Kindle1 last June and am completely attached to it! This past week, while vacationing in Ireland, it stopped working....one half of the screen just froze. This morning after we arrived home, I called amazon and the tech guy walked me through a few resets, etc., but nothing worked. He was extremely nice and they are shipping me out a replacement Kindle at no cost...they are even shipping it overnight so I will have it tomorrow! I think that is great customer support and I couldn't be happier! I realized how totally spoiled I am with my kindle when I was forced to buy a regular book with pages to turn, etc., while on my trip! I love my Kindle...Thank You Amazon!
kcyates is offline   Reply With Quote