Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Grey or Black Kindle? Maybe the Grey is a better choice

Hi,

I ordered two kindles, grey and the black.

The grey seems to be the old production kindle.

I try to compare the two screens, the black seems to be a little more sharper
with slight more contrast. But only at the first look.

I think tis is mainly an optical illusion due the black bezel/frame.

But the reading experience is huge different: The black force my view to the screen. My eyes are not free like on a real printed book. On the grey K4 the device "disappears" and it is more friendly to my eyes.

How is your "long time" reading experience?
Anybody who have both kindles too?

Last edited by oldbook; 10-26-2012 at 08:13 AM.
oldbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In one sitting I can go up to three hours, not that long. I do not think the choice in the shell color makes much difference in the performance of the reader its simply a choice in appearance. My kindle three is black however I would be just as happy with a white or grey colored one.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
I would make the choice based on which one picks up less reflections... personally I am a big fan of black with a matte finish.

I have a Nook STG and it is nice and matte black.. but it has a silvery surround and that thing picks up distracting reflections pretty easily.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can always stick a skin on it, if you can find (or make) one that suits your preferences. Then the bezel color is less important.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbook View Post
Hi,

I ordered two kindles, grey and the black.

The grey seems to be the old production kindle.

I try to compare the two screens, the black seems to be a little more sharper
with slight more contrast. But only at the first look.

I think tis is mainly an optical illusion due the black bezel/frame.

But the reading experience is huge different: The black force my view to the screen. My eyes are not free like on a real printed book. On the grey K4 the device "disappears" and it is more friendly to my eyes.

How is your "long time" reading experience?
Anybody who have both kindles too?
Some threads to check of others who own both colors.
Check out this thread and this one and mine own here

For me there is a huge difference between both. The black is a huge improvement over my Silver. I can read forever on it. When I say forever I really mean 8 hours. I love my K4B so much with it's better contrast I've gone back to using the default font because it's dark enough. I can't do this on the silver I must use my modified font which is very bold compare to the defaults.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank for the threads. One the pictures shown the is a big difference.

But I looked again on my kindles and there is absolutely no difference.
Got both this week. Maybe they are using now the newer screens on both.
(Both are sets to page refresh on each turn)

I will try to post some pictures.

Last edited by oldbook; 10-26-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank for the threads. One the pictures shown the is a big difference.

But I looked again on my kindles and there is absolutely no difference.
Got both this week. Maybe they are using now the newer screens on both.

I will try to post some pictures.
Pics would be good We do know there are a few Silver ones out there that do have good contrast but Quality control on the silver makes it a gamble out of the three I have used all were of poor contrast.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
oldbook
Enthusiast

same contrast (the black is slightly out of focus on the picture, but also sharp)
Maybe its a good K4S and I should keep it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	94952   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle1.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	686.6 KB
ID:	94953  
Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
same contrast (the black is slightly out of focus on the picture, but also sharp)
It's really hard to tell due to way the pic is taken. I've never seen a screen that color before. The lighting really comes in to play here. You might try to take it from a father angle or different lighting.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
oldbook
Enthusiast

I used a polarization filter and pro lighting to avoid any glare.
If I have some time, i will shot some more.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I find with comparison pics of Kindles it's best to use you're normal reading lighting and no special effects to get what the naked eye sees. Glare is okay. It can be worked around. Flash is optional it depends on how good your camera is and the lighting whether it is needed or not. Keep in mind flash can make the text appear darker than it is though. I had to do many angles to keep that from happening.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's really hard to tell due to way the pic is taken. I've never seen a screen that color before. The lighting really comes in to play here. You might try to take it from a father angle or different lighting.
Quote:
I took a full crop of the same word from each unit. The K4 Silver is on top and the K4 Black is below it.

As Blossom says the lighting is a big unknown here, especially since you stacked the K4 Silver on top of the K4 Black. But it does look like the text on the Silver unit is lighter. Again that can be lighting. A true side by side photo will be better. You might take two--one with Silver on left then the next with Silver on the right.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
oldbook
Enthusiast

In the past I compared many different readers, but on these devices I really cannot see any difference. I tried it under daylight too, yesterday. All font sizes.

But if you read with the device the fonts on the K4B appear darker due the black frame.
Its an completely different reading experience. I still do not know which I like better.

I believe they changed the display in last production run, compared to images from others.
My first intention was to keep the K4B, but now I will keep both.

Here with some picts with glare:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle3.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	652.1 KB
ID:	94954   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle4.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	94955   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle5.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	94956  

Last edited by oldbook; 10-26-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Here with some glare:
Again, it is extremely hard to tell from those photos. You again stacked them which throws the focus off for one or the other and causes shadowing, and in the side by side you took it at a very low angle which causes most of the screen to be out of focus. Try straight on side by side shots.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-26-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
In the past I compared many different readers, but on these devices I really cannot see any difference. I tried it under daylight too, yesterday.

Here with some picts with glare:
From the last pic it's much better. You can tell the black has the better contrast of the two. It's text is darker and the background is cleaner, lighter like near white. You're silver does seem to have better contrast than most. I do know they exist but hard to get. The black's quality seems to be consistent. Daylight isn't the best to compare. All eInk look good in daylight. The best way to compare is in low lighting. Which one can you read best in that situation and that's the one I would keep. I can't read on my Silver in low lighting without using a modified font. I can on my black without a problem.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-26-2012 at 03:41 PM.