Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
distorteddisco
Enthusiast
distorteddisco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Just a word of warning to Touch owners

I have been posting here for a while on and off. I bought the Kobo to support small Canadian companies and I liked the look of the device. I actually really enjoyed having the device, and I liked how often they updated the firmware. I'm a student in engineering and was even considering applying to Kobo for an internship.

Unfortunately, one day my screen malfunctioned. There was no drop, no crack, no physical damage to the device... part of the screen is stuck in place and does not change.

I contacted Kobo Support. After a week (!) of waiting, I finally received a reply. I sent them my touch, and a few days later I received word that they would not be replacing the unit as I had "damaged" it. I will repeat, there was NO physical damage to this unit.

Thus far I have had no luck in contacting a manager (or even an actual telephone number - the one Chapters gave me is disconnected and all they have on their website is an email address) to even speak to someone about this. I am very, VERY unhappy and will be warning all of my friends about how poorly this company has treating their customers. I really wanted to support a small, starting Canadian company. It looks like I should have just gone with a Kindle or a Nook instead.

If someone from Kobo happens to read this and can offer ANY assistance, please send me a PM. I have not yet decided if I'll pay their $60 fee to replace the unit.

In short, cross your fingers that your screen isn't defective. It'll cost you $60 plus shipping.

Drew
distorteddisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

I would just like to note that I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I'm just a bit stunned at the way Kobo Support has treated me. Obviously not every company can be Apple, but don't immediately jump to the conclusion that I smashed my Kobo on the ground or something.
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Strange. When I broke the screen on my Kobo Wifi (not touch). I let them know exactly what I did... I accidentally leaned on the screen and cracked it and they still replaced it for me at no cost. I wonder if they have changed their policy since.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Strange. When I broke the screen on my Kobo Wifi (not touch). I let them know exactly what I did... I accidentally leaned on the screen and cracked it and they still replaced it for me at no cost. I wonder if they have changed their policy since.
THIS is how it should have been dealt with. I'm disappointed that they've since changed their stance on these things.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Here is the telephone number for Kobo Customer Support.

Kobo Help Line, United States and Canada:
1-866-204-4714
(8am - 12am EST)
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Here is the telephone number for Kobo Customer Support.

Kobo Help Line, United States and Canada:
1-866-204-4714
(8am - 12am EST)
Thanks. I asked them for a call back and they did call me back. I'll update this thread tomorrow with how things turn out. I'm really hoping that they will reconsider replacing the unit; it's not really an excuse to say that it would be replaced had I purchased the extended warranty. If warranties don't apply to defective e-readers not damaged by the customer... then what are they for?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the policy changed with the Touch as they now have an explicit warranty program that you can sign up for. Check out http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_protection_plan
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by distorteddisco View Post
Unfortunately, one day my screen malfunctioned. There was no drop, no crack, no physical damage to the device... part of the screen is stuck in place and does not change.
This is exactly how a broken eink screen looks. Parts of the screen (being static) will remain "stuck" since it's no longer getting a signal. Since it's eInk they're bistable and the image that was there when it broke remains. Some of the screen still has a good connection and is being refreshed, some doesn't.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
This is exactly how a broken eink screen looks. Parts of the screen (being static) will remain "stuck" since it's no longer getting a signal. Since it's eInk they're bistable and the image that was there when it broke remains. Some of the screen still has a good connection and is being refreshed, some doesn't.
That's what I figured, first eInk device I've owned.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think the policy changed with the Touch as they now have an explicit warranty program that you can sign up for. Check out http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_protection_plan
I see that now. Obviously, in retrospect I would have done that now. I'm just used to devices coming with warranties that include non-user initiated failure.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Kobo Customer support is inconsistant at best.
It seems the response you get depends on the individual who deals with your issue. Sometimes this can be wonderful as there are some Kobo employees who go well above what would be expected. Sadly it seems that there are also quite a few grumps who prefer to ignore or frustrate their customers.

Good luck!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Kobo Customer support is inconsistant at best.
It seems the response you get depends on the individual who deals with your issue. Sometimes this can be wonderful as there are some Kobo employees who go well above what would be expected. Sadly it seems that there are also quite a few grumps who prefer to ignore or frustrate their customers.

Good luck!
Thanks! I think that's just customer service in general, just kind of hoped that small Canadian companies will be different. We'll see what happens now.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
They certainly don't do a very good job of promoting this. This is the first that I'd ever heard of it.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
distorteddisco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
They certainly don't do a very good job of promoting this. This is the first that I'd ever heard of it.
I was told on the phone that you have the option to do this on your first setup with the Kobo software.

Is it just me or that a bad place to put a warranty program? Most people will just click through those first steps (license agreement, etc).
Old 08-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by distorteddisco View Post
I see that now. Obviously, in retrospect I would have done that now. I'm just used to devices coming with warranties that include non-user initiated failure.
Your case should be covered by the Standard One-Year Warranty. Here is the applicable section:
Quote:
What is covered by the one (1) year Standard Limited Warranty?
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, Kobo warrants that the
hardware components comprising your eReader will be free from defects in materials and
workmanship under normal consumer use for a period of one (1) year from the date of
original retail purchase (the “Standard Warranty Period”).
The Extended Protection Plan extends the items covered by the Standard Warranty to two years and includes damage caused by accident.

Here is the complete warranty document.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote