Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you planning on upgrading to the Nook Simple Touch Reader from your Nook Classic?
YES 48 34.29%
NO 42 30.00%
On the fence / need more information 50 35.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Rjl2001
Enthusiast
Rjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic Wifi, Nook Color (rooted)
Post Nook Simple Touch Reader poll

So I realize there are a few posts already about the new Nook, but I thought a poll would be appropriate. Knowing what we do so far, how likely is it that you will upgrade from a Nook Classic to the new Simple Touch Reader? Please also feel free to tell us why you answered the way you did (i.e. for which feature).

Personally, I'm sort of on the fence about whether it is worth the upgrade. I suppose if I were able to sell my Nook Classic on craigslist for at least $75 that would make the decision easier. Mostly I use my Nook Classic for reading newspaper subscriptions while outside, and the current Classic does a good job of it. It's hard for me to imagine the screen being that much better, battery life is never a problem for me, and the ergonomics of the size and weight are nice. Really the main advantage to me of the newer Nook is the touchscreen to look up a word in the dictionary. Does anyone know if the new Nook STR will let you look up a word on Wikipedia, or does it just let you use the dictionary and highlight a passage? So let's see what other people think...

Last edited by Rjl2001; 05-24-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Rjl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I voted on the fence because my next purchase is going to be an Android Tablet and I simply adore my nook classic.

but the "must have " the latest gadget bug always seems to bite me.

The $139 price tag makes this basically an impulse purchase.

must resisit.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Looks cool how the page doesn't even turn black when the page is turned. And FAST wow
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Voted No.

I'd had my nook classic for almost a year when the bezel cracked plus the battery life was getting shorter. Got the replacement a few months ago that came with a new battery, and the bezel seems fine. My current nook is going strong. But I have to say BN customer service was seriously lacking in the replacement process (took 5 weeks) so my next reader may be another brand. The new nook may not be all that is claimed. Battery life up to 2 months - they said 10 days for the orig. nook and that certainly wasn't true. Dictionary is easier. Well, 2 out of 3 words I look up aren't in the dictionary so it doesn't matter how easy it is to use. What caught my eye more than the new nook was the new kobo.

Last edited by wandalynn; 05-24-2011 at 06:26 PM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
I voted yes. My husband doesn't want me to, but it looks perfect for me. Pearl eInk, infrared page turns, smaller size, two month battery life... just awesome.
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
I went with on the fence. At first I thought having a NC-sized screen would be better but then it occurred to me that I'm always having problems cramming the nook color and classic nook into my purse. Since I'm okay with the classic nook's screen size, having a smaller nook with the same screen size would make carrying it around so much easier.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Can you add an option that says "Only if it comes down to $99"?

I like the device so far and I would buy it if it dropped to the $100 price point, but it's hard for me to justify plunking down $140 when I have a Nook Classic already (AND a PB360, AND a Nook Color, AND an Android smart phone).

I want to upgrade just because it's a pretty device, but considering that the only real advancements (for my purposes) are slightly faster interface, slightly less flashing, slightly easier SD card access, and slightly faster TOC interface via touch screen, I can't quite justify the cost at the moment.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I ordered one than cancelled a few hours later. I'll wait till I can see one in person and then decide.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Since I do not have a Nook Classic right now, can I still vote in the poll? I will be getting one, but since there was not a choice for me, I did not vote. It will NOT be replacing my NC, but it will complement it. I plan on using both.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
The longer battery life appeals to me, I often go a couple days without recharging my nook and then discover that I'm nearly out of battery. I will be waiting until I can play with it in the stores because I really want to see how well I like the touchscreen and keyboard.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'll stick with my current Classic. Combined with my Sony 700 I have pretty much everything I need. If I were to get another reader, in the short term, it would be the Nook Color. I could use a back lit reader for dim light situations. Using the light on my 700 drains the battery too fast for oracticality.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #12
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'll upgrade for touch, smaller size, better battery life. Perfect. The battery life was almost the only thing I envied about the wife's Kindle 3.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #13
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
I'm sticking with my Classic. I paid full retail for it a little over a year ago, no bezel problems, it has 3G, and it has a better figure than the new Nook. I love it to pieces, and next generation eink devices are really not worth the extra money nor the hassle it will take to sell it.

I made an investment and I plan to see it through. However, I'm invested in the BN/Nook ecosystem and I'm very happy with my choice, so I will probably get a new eink Nook eventually.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I've pre-ordered two: one to replace my son's Nook, and one for me - my first e-reader. I'm not reading as much as I'd like, and I think part of it is reading on a laptop is less than ideal.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I voted "Yes", though I don't have a Nook classic. I do buy a lot of Nook books to read on my iPhone because Discover has great cashback deals with B&N (10% cashback, $45-for-$50 gift card deals to use your cashback bonus). Applying the remainder of my most recent cashback gift card made the Nook Touch essentially the same price as a Kindle with Special Offers, so it was a no-brainer to order it.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote