Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #136
powree
powree began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
I don't believe registration would affect battery life, but speaking of which, have you activated yours? Or updated the software on the Nook (if yours is the older ones); there was one that supposedly fixed a battery bug.

Let your battery drop to 10% or less and then start charging. No harm trying.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tip! I'll charge it once it reaches 10% mark. I have registered it once I found a wifi access.Currently my Nook has passed 10 days without charging (still at 26% ).
powree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #137
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
I am enoying my new Nook STR but didnt figure out how to add shelves until I saw this page. I thought I would share to save someone else the same puzzlement
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #138
Binkyboy
Binkyboy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Friend Just Bought me A Nook...I hope I didn`t ask for something I can`t use

Hello, a really good friend of mine just bought me a Nook. I was just reading on here that you have to use WIFi to put books on. is that true? I thought you cold just go into your computer documents where I have tons of Ebooks stored and load them into the Nook. Can I do that? I really don`t want to buy anymore books than I already have. I am also using Calibre and have lots of Ebooks stored there. Can`t I just put what I have there already in the Nook? Someone please help me.

Thank You ,
Dennis

Have a Great Holiday everyone.
Binkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #139
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
The downloading of ebooks via wifi is only for purchases made off B&N's site (free or otherwise) so that the Nook can synchronise your account and download ebooks onto the device.

If you already have eBooks, just open up Calibre and plug your Nook in, then transfer files onto the Nook. Simple and easy. Just take note of available formats on the Nook!
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #140
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
If it's the latest Nook, user-accessible space is quite limited (250MB, I think?), so you will likely need a SD card.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #141
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I received a $50 B&N gift card and have wanted a Nook STR (have been reading on kindles, sony readers, and I have the original white nook). Bought it and a cover today at B&N. Haven't been able to read on it yet. It won't connect to my home wifi network. It sees it but keeps telling me that the password is wrong (I've tried using the password several times as well as the network key -- which is what worked when I connected my other devices to wifi). All my other devices connected without any problem.

Called customer service. They are very busy right now. Got someone who is just reading the lines she has been given. Had me do all the things I'd already done many times. Wasted 45 minutes before she said I should call my router company! She occasionally went away and talked to a tech at B&N and then would come back and read the lines they gave her. She also told me to change my password on my wifi network. Wouldn't that disconnect my laptop and other devices? I didn't do it.

She also told me to try connecting to wifi in a store, which I will do tomorrow.

In the meantime I sideloaded a number of drm-free epub books I have via calibre. I don't know if they are on it or not because I can't see a home page, my library, settings or anything else, except for access wifi page and the place to type in the password.

I didn't know you HAD to register to use this. I would like to register, but I am going to be reading my own drm-free books, so it should work without registering, but the booklet says "you have to register." Is this true? Seems to be, since I can't access the library, home page . . . etc.

Never had these problems with the white nook, 5 kindles, sony or bookkeen ereaders. Never had this problem with my ipad either. If I can't connect in the store or see my library in the store, I'm going to return it for a full refund. I am not a happy customer. Maybe I got a lemon?
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #142
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As near as I can tell, you do have to register the once before you can use it...

This fella says the same
http://john.nachtimwald.com/2011/06/11/nook-str-review/

HOWEVER all this usually requires is a WiFi signal & an email account ...somewhere...anywhere...and the bother of setting it all up at B&N online. After that you can shut off the wifi and sideload all your old DRM free books you had already or the lovely public domain books from manybooks.net or Gutenberg Project et al

Does sound like yours is being a pill about going online the first time. I had no trouble with getting mine to register & I already had an account. The only thing I can think of is to check that its looking for the same kind of encryption you are actually using on your router?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...ity-at-All.htm
Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #143
Shushan
Bibliophile

hhmmm...looks like I need to make a correction. According to this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164508

You also need a credit card on the account to fully register. I guess I got a pass because my old credit card info had been good when it was added even though its now expired.

It is true that they refused to give me their freebies, but since these were pretty much public domain classics I could legally find for myself elsewhere, I wasn't fussed. They don't have any free word games for the Nook STR to tempt me into updating my info. (It doesn't play any. Sniff) They'll just have to wait until I get around to buying something else from them. Broke as I've been lately, that may be awhile! lol
Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #144
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Not sure about needing the credit card info. I had a BN account previously for the nook app for my iPad 2 (just to try it out, I use iBooks normally if I am using my iPad for reading). It allowed me to register my nook ST just fine without entering credit card information and I am 99% sure I didn't have credit card information previously entered in to my BN.com account. HOWEVER, for DRM'd books from BN, it did require me to enter credit card information before it could unlock the book (and to buy the book through my PC and BN.com I had to of course at that point add credit card information to my BN.com account).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #145
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
Good news, everyone!
I've sold my PB903 some time ago and bought myself a Nook Touch.
Hope I'll be able to deliver some help for the community.
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #146
Phoenyx
Kobo/Nook user
Phoenyx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch & Nook Colour
Ok,
So I haven't searched thoroughly and completely yet, but have done a quick review. I have not seen my issue so far. I am a lucky Canadian owner but unfortunately cannot purchase anything for my Nook colour at B&N because I do not have an American based credit card. I had read off the B&N site that in Decemeber Canadian owners would be able to purchase the apps and books but alas this is not so as far as I can tell. Anyone who has a clue here for me or a direction to go?
Thanx
Phoenyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #147
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I have one question because I'm a new owner of NST and I'm still learning. I noticed that I have, for example, a book with 350 pages and I have to turn 3 pages in order to count as a single page. In other words, I turn 3 pages and it goes from page 2 to page 3. I believe that the page numbers are not very accurate. Can I do something about it?
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #148
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I have one question because I'm a new owner of NST and I'm still learning. I noticed that I have, for example, a book with 350 pages and I have to turn 3 pages in order to count as a single page. In other words, I turn 3 pages and it goes from page 2 to page 3. I believe that the page numbers are not very accurate. Can I do something about it?
take the text to the smallest font size and 1 page will = 1 turn. at least that is how it is on my nook wifi.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #149
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
The idea is for an epub to have consistent page numbering regardless of the device or display settings used to read it, and for one electronic page to roughly equal one printed page, so that people know how much reading "800 pages" equals.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #150
bodryn
bodryn began at the beginning.

Device: TRGpro, Palm IIIx
Even though I registered on this site in 2008, I haven't been on it since then. I hope this is a good space to introduce myself here. In 2011, I bought a Nook eBook reader without the built-in WiFi, to save a a few bucks. However, I since wished I had WiFi. I see that first articles I've read here seem to indicate some buyers' remorse about the Nook. I haven't used mine at all because I've been continuing to use my old TRGpro (Palm IIIxe clone on steroids) because I've got dozens of novels on it in text form, and it has been my basic personal pocket reference device for 10 years. I often take .txt files of Gutenberg novels and lots of free articles from the internet, put them on there and read them at leisure.

I'd like to start over with ebooks from scratch and am wondering, which ebook model would people recommend now? (I definitely need something new because if my TRGpro gives out, I would not be able to replace it with another one.)
bodryn is offline   Reply With Quote