Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
jmclean
jmclean began at the beginning.

Device: dell win7
Help

I am new to this and stumbling around a bit. If this should be on a different forum tell me and I will post there. A few weeks ago I converted to a Windows 7 Machine. I moved Calibre from my old machine to the new machine. I updated to 1.44. I had about a week of no problems. On Sunday the 27 the download of Calibre messages began stopping in the middle. I upgraded to Calibre 1.46. the problem continues today. Instead of downloading 8 item in 15 or 20 minutes I spent over an hour. I would get one item close Calibre then open maybe get one more item after 10 minutes close then open. Repeat until all items received. I have Windows 7 on a Dell 8 gigs of memory, plenty of hard drive space and DSL. I need help fixing this problem I can't use Calibre if I have to spend all evening getting items.
jmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmclean View Post
I am new to this and stumbling around a bit. If this should be on a different forum tell me and I will post there. A few weeks ago I converted to a Windows 7 Machine. I moved Calibre from my old machine to the new machine. I updated to 1.44. I had about a week of no problems. On Sunday the 27 the download of Calibre messages began stopping in the middle. I upgraded to Calibre 1.46. the problem continues today. Instead of downloading 8 item in 15 or 20 minutes I spent over an hour. I would get one item close Calibre then open maybe get one more item after 10 minutes close then open. Repeat until all items received. I have Windows 7 on a Dell 8 gigs of memory, plenty of hard drive space and DSL. I need help fixing this problem I can't use Calibre if I have to spend all evening getting items.
The Calibre MSI (installer) is one file.
Do not sucker in to alternate download sites or use the AD (download) on the right of the official page.
The Windows download is in the middle and is about 55M
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you refer to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmclean View Post
On Sunday the 27 the download of Calibre messages began stopping in the middle. I upgraded to Calibre 1.46. the problem continues today. Instead of downloading 8 item in 15 or 20 minutes I spent over an hour. I would get one item close Calibre then open maybe get one more item after 10 minutes close then open.
could you clarify WHAT you mean by messages?

I'm not sure any of us quite know what you are referring to.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:02 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My guess is that the OP is referring to news items, the recipe stuff. I don't use the facility, so I could be 200% wrong.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2014 at 04:28 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
jmclean
jmclean began at the beginning.

Device: dell win7
The problem is I'm not sure what word to use. I download daily using Calibre
The Wall Street Journel
Wired Daily
Science Daliy
The Online Photographer
Astronomy picture of the day
and a couple others
I don't think messages or item is the correct term but I don't know what is.
Previous to Sunday on the new computer it took maybe twenty minutes or so.
Sunday and after it was taking well over an hour. Since I am not familar with this type of messaging back an forth I will be slow in answering. I probably also won't check every day.
jmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@jmclean - I suspect its something to do with the networking on your new computer rather than calibre itself - but as I said I don't use calibre to download news

Can you provide details of your old and new computers particularly any network related changes - eg wired to wireless.

I'm not sure what terms calibre uses - when I read the WSJ I'm reading news items or articles (op-ed, feature etc)

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect a firewall/antivirus setting is not friendly.

A nice speed test that is HTML5 based (no java or flash) http://speedof.me
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote