Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #76
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm reading Christopher Hitchens' essay collection: Love, Poverty, and War. The first part, lit crit and history, was a bit tough going, but the latest ones I tackled on Los Angeles and Traveling Route 66 were cracking good reads! (an Overdrive download)
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #77
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
After finishing In Short which I highly recommend if you are interested in short creative non-fiction I just got two follow-up books:

In Brief - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...ls_o02_s00_i00
and
Short Takes - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...ls_o02_s00_i01

Both focused on short creative non-fiction (In Brief is focused more on the personal/memoir style)

also:
Last night I read another very 'affecting' creative non-fiction piece from "In Fact - The Best of Creative Nonfiction" - http://www.amazon.com/Fact-Best-Crea...ive+nonfiction

Shunned by Meredith Hall - a girl who made the mistake of ending up pregnant in 1965 and the effect on her entire life.

It is the lead in her book "Without a Map: A Memoir" and you can preview at Amazon if interested: http://www.amazon.com/Without-Map-Me...5744248&sr=1-1

admittedly I've only read the first three pieces from "In Fact" but two of those were - punch you in the gut good and the third was very close. I'll let you know how the rest hold up as I read them, but am switching between many different books, pieces, articles, genres constantly at the moment.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #78
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Just finished "Dark Market. CyberThieves, CyberCops and You" (auf deutsch: Cyber Crime. Kriminalität und Krieg im digitalen Zeitalter) by Misha Glenny. A little bit simplifying this book tells the story behind all the spam mails we get and how our answers (I hope you never do ) are exchanged into money. Thoroughly researched, very interesting, instructive and entertaining.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #79
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks Billi and for reviving the thread!

I just finished "Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction" 3/5 stars good stuff but not great. Focused a bit too much on "Brevity" the magazine edited by the editor of this book - Dinty W. Moore.

Still it is worth a read if you are interested in writing short creative non-fiction.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote