Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #76
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfitz View Post
I have what may be a stupid question, but I have searched around for an answer and haven't been able to find one.

Could someone explain how syncing iBooks between an iPhone and iPad works? I'm sure I am missing something basic, but I am not getting anything...
Bookmarks and notes are synched between books you have on your iPhone and your iPad. Books, as in the library itself, you need to sync yourself in iTunes for each device. ( if that was your question )
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #77
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
You also need to turn it on. To check, go to your iDevice's Settings app and check the iBooks app for 'Sync Bookmarks'
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #78
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Let me see if I understand, you have to place a bookmark and sync with iTunes on your computer and then sync your other device with iTunes on your computer? And then do the same when you switch devices again? After making sure you have syncing turned on, which I had already checked and did. Hmmm, if that is the case it won't really serve the purpose I had hoped it would.

I was really hoping that it would mark the place you were reading in one device and ask if you wanted to move to that location on the other when you opened the same book. Kindle does that, but not over wi-fi and I don't have coverage where I live. I miss that feature.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #79
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
No, you shouldn't have to place the bookmark - it's working for me without doing that (I have an iPhone 4, I wonder if that's a difference?). I actually prefer the iDevice way of syncing because it goes to the last place I was reading (even if that is earlier in the book) as opposed to Kindle which only moves forward, and, I find, is slower. The iDevice syncing doesn't ask if I want to move to the last spot, it just does it, and it works on the books I load into iBooks, not just the ones bought from the iBooks store, again, an improvement, IMO, over Amazon.

I hope you're able to get the syncing working, Kathy, it really is good. As tyche mentioned, is syncing turned on? (Settings->iBooks)
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #80
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore

When I heard the keynote, I thought - finally, I will be able to sync between devices even when I am at home! But I am not getting any response from my devices.

I do have syncing turned on. I have tried numerous things, but still nothing. Maybe it is one of the features that doesn't work with the 3G (some of the upgrades don't - why I am wishing for an iPhone4). Do you have to sync with the computer to get the info to the other device?
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #81
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

No, the syncing is happening OTA. I'll put iBooks on my 3G and see what happens. It'll take a while, though.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #82
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore

Thank you! I am going to put in a call to Apple too I guess.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #83
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

While my old phone updates, I tried the syncing on hubby's old phone (he had already installed ibooks on his 3GS) and it worked just fine. I'm out for a while now, but I left the phone updating so we'll see what happens on my 3G.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It did it via wifi just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #85
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post

personally, i'd rather see a % instead of page numbers. has more meaning if i know i'm 50% done than on an arbitrary page number.
B&N has a pretty slick way of handling this - they have a very subtle progress bar on the bottom (it takes up almost no space on the iPhone). And there are tiny notches in the progress bar that show chapters. So you have a visual sense both of where you are in the book, and where you are in the chapter.

I believe it's one of the few enhancements B&N added to the eReader software after they bought it from Fictionwise.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #86
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Kathy, I tried the syncing on my 3G and it syncs just fine, so there must be something else going on, sorry.

And, not that I mean to contribute to enabling you, but I gotta say that the 3G was painful to use, after only 12 hours with the 4G The 4G is FAST.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #87
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
And, not that I mean to contribute to enabling you, but I gotta say that the 3G was painful to use, after only 12 hours with the 4G The 4G is FAST.
As another Iphone 3G owner, that was just cruel.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #88
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
B&N has a pretty slick way of handling this - they have a very subtle progress bar on the bottom (it takes up almost no space on the iPhone). And there are tiny notches in the progress bar that show chapters. So you have a visual sense both of where you are in the book, and where you are in the chapter.

I believe it's one of the few enhancements B&N added to the eReader software after they bought it from Fictionwise.
IIRC, eReader under Fictionwise had the same type of progress bar, so if B&N added anything it would be the notches.

Stanza also has the progress bar, though without notches, and will show you a percentage if you bring up the info (tap in the middle of the screen).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #89
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
As another Iphone 3G owner, that was just cruel.....
I'm sorry - I hang my head in shame
Old 06-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #90
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore

Quote:
Kathy, I tried the syncing on my 3G and it syncs just fine, so there must be something else going on, sorry.

Thanks for helping! And tormenting! I have pretty much decided that I am getting the new phone - soon! Having a hard time justifying it, especially since I just bought an iPad two months ago! But I really appreciate you going to all of that effort for me!

I'm on hold with Apple as I type. I hope they can help me figure this out!