Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #46
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Who says you have to replace your K3 the $79 is so cheap you can have both. I'm gonna have 3 Kindles if I don't sell my K3 and I don't really need that many either but it looks like selling a K3 is more hassle then it's worth.
Maybe it's a hassle if you try to sell online, but I sold to a friend. Ever since i've gotten my Kindle lots of my friends have been eyeing it and thinking of getting one so finding a buyer for my Kindle keyboard wasn't an issue at all.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #47
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Who says you have to replace your K3 the $79 is so cheap you can have both. I'm gonna have 3 Kindles if I don't sell my K3 and I don't really need that many either but it looks like selling a K3 is more hassle then it's worth.
why?

are you opening a Kindle museum?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #48
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely right. From our Posting Guidelines:
well i apologise for that...just adding a bit of spice to the thread no offence intended to anyone.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Maybe it's a hassle if you try to sell online, but I sold to a friend. Ever since i've gotten my Kindle lots of my friends have been eyeing it and thinking of getting one so finding a buyer for my Kindle keyboard wasn't an issue at all.
I don't have any local friends. My hubby and I keep to ourselves.

I have family like nieces and nephews who live back in Missouri but they wouldn't buy it they expect me to just give it to them.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #50
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
why?

are you opening a Kindle museum?
No. I want a Kindle Touch but I don't want to wait so I got a Kindle NT and I originally intended to sell my K3 but now I hear how much of a hassle it can be and people here are discouraging buying a used Kindle. I just don't know.
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothepoint View Post
Could you tell the rest of us which model you bought, why, and if it's worth switching.
Have a KSO Keyboard wifi and plan on getting a KSO Touch wifi when it's released.

Why?

Touch screen.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No. I want a Kindle Touch but I don't want to wait so I got a Kindle NT and I originally intended to sell my K3 but now I hear how much of a hassle it can be and people here are discouraging buying a used Kindle. I just don't know.
Gift it to a family member.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Gift it to a family member.
I don't know of anyone in my family who would use it. My husband does not want it, My mom is legally blind and my sister does not read books. I have grown up nieces and nephews by other siblings who I don't talk to and I have not seen in years and I can't just give it to one of them it would be playing favorites, I would have to get all of them something.

There is a reason my family is in Missouri and I am Tennessee

I thought of my mother in law but every time I give her a gift she turns around an either gives it back a year later, sells it or gives it away. If I try to give it to my Father in law my Mother in law will take it away as some type of punishment from him.

I'll just hold onto it for now till I can either safely sell it or keep it as a backup.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #54
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I'm thinking that some of things folks are calling a "down grade" aren't really a "down grade " at all. Let's take storage. How many books do you really need ( or even WANT) to have on your KIndle at any one time? The Amazon blurb claims it can hold 1400 books. Let's say they are off by a factor of two. Do you really need more than 700 books on your Kindle at any one time? Seriously?
In essence, I agree. To add to this - while I do keep a lot of books on my Kindle, more than the 700 you used in your example, some of the features that made me choose my K3 3G no longer apply. I now have a smartphone so I no longer use my Kindle for emergency web browsing. I rarely have books sent from Amazon directly to my Kindle, especially since most of my books don't come from Amazon. Therefor, I don't need the 3G any longer.

I find I don't really take notes, so I no longer really need the keyboard. The games I play mostly rely on the d-pad anyway.

If you remove the features I'm not really using, you're pretty much left with the K4-NT. That's streamlining, not a downgrade.

And in my case, I doubt it would be a replacement, it would be an addition. I would have wanted a Touch, but that was ruled out when they left off the page turn buttons.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #55
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
As an iPad owner I have absolutely no need for a Kindle Fire. IMHO only inexperienced eBook Readers (the human kind) use a heavier LCD device as a reader. The light kills your eyes after a few minutes. The Kindle Fire will do well as a multipurpose device but there really is no need for a single device to do everything so I will not buy one.
I have an iPad, too. But I'm getting a KF, at least to try out.

I really don't see the two devices as occupying the same nich. While in a sense, the KF is a more portable iPad, and that's a plus, I really am buying the KF because it is, I hope, a better EBR.

One reason is the 7 inch screen size. I expect to be able to optimize the font size so that I can read at a comfortable pace. As an older reader, I find that I need to have a larger font than in my youth. But on a 6 inch screen, that font doesn't give me enough text on the page to read at the speed I want to read. Both the color Nook and the Sony 950 were better "fits" than any 6 inch screen.

I also think I'll like the page turning better. I prefer touch to buttons, and I anticipate that the page turning on the KF will be more pleasing than the "fade" I get on e-ink readers.

Your point about the effect of the backlight on an lcd screen is well-taken, but the problem can be minimized with judicious adjustments.

Your point about the weight is also worth considering, but I won't know about that till I actually hold one. A lot depends on how good the device feels in my hand.

Insofar as the thread topic is concerned, I don't anticipate replacing my K3 with the basic K4. I have a nice case by Tuff-Luv which works very nicely to prop up my K3 when I read while eating. With the K3 in that case, the keyboard elevates the screen to a very comfortable viewing level on a small table or counter.

I considered getting a KT, but I've found that the buttons are better for one handed page turns than a touch screen in situations where I'm not holding the EBR. I know this because I have a Sony 650 in a similar case. The 650 has a touch screen.

I like a touch screen EBR better when I'm holding the device, though, so I expect I'd like the KT over the K3 if I read while holding it, and my guess is that I'd like the KNT better as well under those circumstances.

But I like to read while I eat, so I'm sticking with the K3 as my e-ink device.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I would have wanted a Touch, but that was ruled out when they left off the page turn buttons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I considered getting a KT, but I've found that the buttons are better for one handed page turns than a touch screen in situations where I'm not holding the EBR. I know this because I have a Sony 650 in a similar case. The 650 has a touch screen.
I'm the opposite. I don't need physical page turn buttons. Tapping a screen is far more convenient.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #57
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I can deal with half the storage. The UI pretty much ensures I don't want to put too much stuff on it anyway. I can deal with no keyboard. No audio kinda kills it for me. I like to listen to music without carrying another doodad around. Also when I get tired I sometimes use TTS.

The non touch also has only 128m working memory (half the k3's), which may put a real crimp on what can be installed from the kindle dev folks.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #58
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I can deal with half the storage. The UI pretty much ensures I don't want to put too much stuff on it anyway. I can deal with no keyboard. No audio kinda kills it for me. I like to listen to music without carrying another doodad around. Also when I get tired I sometimes use TTS.

The non touch also has only 128m working memory (half the k3's), which may put a real crimp on what can be installed from the kindle dev folks.
Music? THat's what iPods are for.

I understand the one mobile device to rule them all concept, though: that's how I use my iPad.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #59
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm the opposite. I don't need physical page turn buttons. Tapping a screen is far more convenient.
John Gruber observed that his young son thinks that there is something wrong with Gruber's K3 because the screen doesn't respond to touch .

I know that there is a huge button loving contingent here but the writing on on the wall as far as the next generation is concerned.We might as well talk about how the command line and MS-DOS was really more powerful than the GUI. Remember those debates, old timers?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #60
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Remember those debates, old timers?
I do. Now, get off my lawn!
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote