Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Jdoherty76
Jdoherty76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
mobi book into calibre possible conversion error?

Hi there i have an original book in mobi format and when i add it to calibre anywhere there is an apostophe it is replaced with an 'a with a carat symbol above it followed by €tm' this can be viewed in calibre and when i send it to my kindle paperwhite. I've tried reconverting to mobi and awz, also played around with output settings to no avail. I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on this. I don't believe it to be calibre, not sure if these values are there in the source. Is there anyway to read this file with a program other than calibre to confirm if this is the case. Thanks JD
Jdoherty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try adding the book directly to the Kindle.

Although if the error is in the book contents, then it would seem to be a problem with the book itself, since calibre doesn't convert on sending (though it does embed metadata, I don't think that would have the same effect, but I could be wrong).

In any event, that seems to be an encoding issue.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Jdoherty76

Thanks eschwartz appreciate the response I'll try and add it directly. I think you may be correct and could be encoded in the book. I was wondering if the tm maybe meant trademark, but maybe I'm reading too much into it. Is it possible to do a sweeping change of a book. It looks like if I could remove/replace this string of characters then the book would be okay. Do you know if this is possible if the direct feed into my Kindle doesn't work? thanks in advance..
Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can directly edit the book only if it is in AZW3 or EPUB format. calibr has a builtin editor (shortcut key is "T") that can do the job.

I would guess that no encoding was set and calibre assumed it was the default UTF-8 when it was something else. It should be enough to specify the right encoding in a meta tag. But Search & Replace should work as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is the encoding is wrong. But that's not really an issue as the renderer this eBook was designed for forces the correct encoding and it displays properly. I've seen lots of ePub not set with the correct utf-8 encoding. But because ADE forces utf-8, it displays properly. But in a web browser, it would not display correctly.

Mobi is a terrible format if you want to fix things and keep it as Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Jdoherty76

Thanks folks what is the suggestion I'm only a novice on calibre. Eschwartz I tried adding it directly but just the same. All I can think of is that the source is buggered and not sure how to correct. Both of you discussed utf-8 but that really means nothing to me. I don't really know how to correct the encoding so I can only suppose if I can't correct the there's nowt I can do. Advice appreciated.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Open it in the editor (reminder: shortcut key is "T") and just search and replace the error. You will first need to convert the book to AZW3 format to edit.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
When you start Conversion, you get a form:
on Look and feel, there is a place to specify (force) character encoding cp1252 is a good first try
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
When you start Conversion, you get a form:
on Look and feel, there is a place to specify (force) character encoding cp1252 is a good first try
I did not notice you could do that!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I did not notice you could do that!
Kovid hides features
when he thinks we are close to find all of them,
He hides some new ones (He has been busy)...

but this one has been there for a very long time.

We help each other, so no worry
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kovid hides features
when he thinks we are close to find all of them,
He hides some new ones (He has been busy)...

but this one has been there for a very long time.

We help each other, so no worry
I know.

I've never needed it, so I overlooked it.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
Jdoherty76

Thanks I'll give this a try. Appreciate all the advice.