Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
kimberlyp
kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!kimberlyp goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kindle Fire hd8
kindle pw2 or something elseo

Well I am looking at the kindle pw2 or something else as a first eink reader needs to be front lit as I read at night now for background the majority of my books are from kindle like to stay there if possible good night
kimberlyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
If you get your books from Amazon, then a PW 2would be a good ereader.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Another vote for the Paperwhite 2.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Get a refurbished PW1 from Amazon.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Get a refurbished PW1 from Amazon.
The money you'd save by this isn't worth it, to my mind. The PW2 has significant benefits over the PW1. Better lighting, 50% higher contrast screen, faster CPU, and (on the whole) better firmware features.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
True, the faster CPU does make a significant difference.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Here is a nay sayer, I can see from your profile that you have a fire. If you have one of them why buy anything else your fire will be able to get you ereading? Why spend more then you need to? If you bought anything I would recommend one of the later generations of fires such as the HD or HDX.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Here is a nay sayer, I can see from your profile that you have a fire. If you have one of them why buy anything else your fire will be able to get you ereading? Why spend more then you need to? If you bought anything I would recommend one of the later generations of fires such as the HD or HDX.
Not everyone finds reading on an LCD screen comfortable.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
It sounds like a PW2 makes the most sense for you. It's a really nice e-reader and you have a lot of Kindle content already.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
If you get your books from Amazon, then a PW 2would be a good ereader.
Where one gets his/her books shouldn't even come into equation imo.
There's Calibre and there's Apprentice Alf to rid anybody of any dependence to any ebook selling company.

Well unless you buy Nook Glowlight, then you get 500 MB of space for sideloaded books, which is basically an equivalent of B&N giving you the middle finger.

Last edited by Geralt; 01-18-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
There's Calibre and there's Apprentice Alf to rid anybody of any dependence to any ebook selling company.
True. I run both, but that can be a hassle to a lot people. I've also run into books that would not convert/strip due to size. So it can be a problem for some people.

As much as I would like to support Kobo (I liked the first one a lot), Amazon is the better choice for a lot of people for selection and ease of use. I wish Kobo was in stores in the US, so I could at least have people go look at it.

Quote:
Well unless you buy Nook Glowlight, then you get 500 MB of space for sideloaded books, which is basically an equivalent of B&N giving you the middle finger.
I liked the Nook a lot, but this was such a deal breaker. Amazon doesn't care where I buy my books. Its easy to add amazon and non-amazon books to devices and have them synch between them. They just make sure I buy most of the books from them.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #12
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:

One should not assume that everyone knows about Calibre and/or Apprentice Alf or would even want to know about them. Or that one would want to sideload or email books to their reader.

My statement stands, if the OP buys her books from Amazon than a PW 2 is a good reader for her, if nothing else just for the convenience factor.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #13
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
One should not assume that everyone knows about Calibre and/or Apprentice Alf or would even want to know about them. Or that one would want to sideload or email books to their reader.

My statement stands, if the OP buys her books from Amazon than a PW 2 is a good reader for her, if nothing else just for the convenience factor.
Well than let them pay more. Ignorance is expensive.

I rather have few tricks up my sleeve and get books at cheep price, than be content with whatever they offer me as default option.

I only have kindles as well, and lately all the books I got were from Kobo.
The amount of time it took to learn about Alf and Calibre is 10 min tops.
By all means your statement stands but only if you assume people are lazy and dont really care about their moonies
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Well than let them pay more. Ignorance is expensive.

I rather have few tricks up my sleeve and get books at cheep price, than be content with whatever they offer me as default option.

I only have kindles as well, and lately all the books I got were from Kobo.
The amount of time it took to learn about Alf and Calibre is 10 min tops.
By all means your statement stands but only if you assume people are lazy and dont really care about their moonies
Some people don't and honestly, that's their choice. I can't tell you how many people I know in my own life who value convenience over saving a few bucks. It doesn't mean they're ignorant. It just means they don't care. Also, there are some people who feel that using tools like Alf are wrong for ethical or legal reasons even if it allows them to choose different vendors and save money. YMMV.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am cool with saving a buck or two but it has to be a good amount for me to start digging around for a deal. If I am broswing Amazon looking for a book and I find something that looks intersting and I am ok with the price, I'll buy it from Amazon. I have a Kindle but I know how to use Alf's tools. It is still easier to buy the book from Amazon and not worry about having to use the tools. If we are talking saving half the price of the book, I'd probably go an dlook else where but most of the books I read do not get discounted and Amazon's prices are rarely that much more expensive then another stores.

Now, I do diaper price checks and the like when I am at Target to make sure the money I am spending on diapers through subscribe and save makes sense. I'll check online the price of just about any item before I add it to subscribe and save. Most of the time, Amazon's price is cheaper and I get a 20% discount so I add it to my Amazon account.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote