Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #31
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
really cool idea Luag...man I like you...

I can't answer your question...but maybe your uncle could check the chinese Jinke homepage for the list of "agents" or whatever.
it should be there...but I can't look of course because all i get when I look at the chinese page is question marks and other typo-garbage...and if I didn't get that I'd have alot of pretty chinese symbols and would understand just as much...or little.

But maybe he could try that.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #32
maple
maple began at the beginning.

Hi Luag,
Maybe the following link can help your uncle to find the shops.
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/service/gdsc.asp
maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 PM   #33
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
alright, i just sent him another email...thank a lot maple

but maybe you skipped my previous question for clarification.

again, thanks
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:25 AM   #34
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Wow maple, its available in Taiwan too? I could have someone bring it in if the Singapore dealer cannot do so soon enough. Any chance a sample can be acquired in Taiwan in the near future?

One more question on the OS:
If I get it from Taiwan, will it contain English or Chinese menus or can I select the language of the menu itself? For the desktop software, can I download the English version later on if needed? Thanks!
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #35
luag
Zealot

well, according to the screenshots from v8's manual pdf, english is available in the language selection menu.
Advert
Old 03-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #36
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I second that

I always wanted to try that phrase...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #37
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I wanted to try the Wolf software on my PC before making a decision about the Hanlin e-ink reader. I downloaded this but could not use it because I kept getting "I can't load the resource DLL" error message, I emailed Jinke and I got a reply from someone named "May" asking me to send screen images of the errors. I did this and a couple of days later received another email from "May" to say their technical people had updated their software so It should now work.

However, I downloaded the software again, only to find it was exactly the same as before. It would not work. I had downloaded the software applicable to the "V2 and V8" which you would think was correct. However, I went back to the Jinke site and downloaded the wolf reader applicable to their products S6 and S2+! ( V3.56) and tried this. Lo and behold - it installed and worked perfectly!
I made a few books using the Wolf Maker from HTML and RTF files and then checked them out in the WolF Reader.
I was shocked at how bad they were. All bold and Italics are lost. Centering is retained. But the worst thing is that punctuation is all over the place. Full stops (periods) are often on the next line instead of remaining with the last word of a sentence. The same with some apostrophes. For instance - a word such as "he'd" (short for he had) appeared as "he' ..... with the d on the next line.
It got worse...... the last word on a page was often (not always) repeated again at the top of the next page!
It got even worse when I noticed that not only single words were being repeated on the next page...... but whole groups of words were being repeated.
And even more disheartening..... when I realised that some sentences just didn't seem to make sense..... I checked them out and found that whole words were being missed out altogether.
I don't know if this is being caused by the software not being compatible with WindowsXP or whether their understanding of the English language is lacking.
Whatever, I will not be purchasing this device until I hear some very good hands on reviews about it.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #38
luag
Zealot

Wow...thats quite disheartening.
My guess is if it wasnt caused by software incompatability...it might be because the software is optimized for chinese characters?

I dont think the S6 and S2+ was ever meant for english market.
(this might be the cause)

Have you tried to install both software, and run the Wolf Maker for v2/v8? or is this exactly what you did? ^^;

Thank you for posting, Sylvia

Last edited by luag; 03-30-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:04 PM   #39
luag
Zealot

edited.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:29 AM   #40
maple

Hi Moonraker
I’m sure the software can work well now. You can try it again.
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/E...nter/index.asp

And I also get the info from Jinke, the current software for V2/V8 is originated from the Chinese Version, they just change the Chinese menu into English menu, it is optimized for Chinese characters. The purpose of the current English version is only for overseas consumers to know the software. And they’re doing the localization work now, and expected to be finished within one to two months. After that, it will display very pretty 4-level grey English fonts (including bold, italic etc.)
Old 03-31-2006, 12:30 AM   #41
maple

Hi Snappy,
V8 can support English and Chinese. At present, there are no agents of V8 in Taiwan.

Hi Luag,
About your previous question, according to Jinke’s market plan, V8 focuses on Chinese market; maybe the releasing date of V2 in Chinese market will be changed. Jinke is discussing the business cooperation with some overseas companies. They will offer the sample of V2 in June.

Last edited by maple; 03-31-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:01 AM   #42
luag
Zealot

my uncle just contacted me...and he said he couldnt find any agent in Xiamen, Fujian on the website you gave us. He pointed out he could see agents on smaller cities though, which is odd in my opinion ^^;

and maple, can you please clarify what you mean by samples? is it press / beta tester exclusive?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #43
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Maple for replying to my message. I followed the link you kindly provided and downloaded the new software applicable to the V2 and V8.

This installed ok apart from two error messages telling me that "Locked File Detected"
(msvcp60.dll and mfc42.dll) I clicked on "Ignore" for both of these and the installation completed. After the obligatory rebooting of the machine I was ready to start some testing.

Opening the Wolf Maker, I first selected an .RTF file filled in a couple of details and selected "Make". The book making procedure completed successfully in a few seconds.

I then opened the Wolf Viewer to inspect the .wol book I had just made. The Wolf Viewer has a different appearance to the Wolf Reader that I had previously installed.
The Wolf Reader looked like a digital image of the Hanlin Ebook Reader (very nice) but the Wolf Viewer is just another ordinary grey Windows programme.

I understand what you say about the Viewer being optimized for the Chinese language and very pleased to hear that work is now ongoing to accommodate English.

I was pleased to see that the problem of words at the bottom of one page being repeated again at the top of the next page had disappeared.
I was also pleased to see that paragraph indents were retained.

However, the code for the text formatting needs a great deal of improvement before it will be acceptable to the book-reading community.
Centering is not centred – it is very much off-centre.
No bold and no italics.
Font size is not adjustable. You can only make the font appear to be larger by making the viewing area larger. (Big Book icon).
Em dashes are not represented accurately. An ordinary hyphen is displayed instead. Hyphens should only be used to join compound words together. They should not be used to indicate a sudden change in thought or pause.
Some punctuation is still being separated from the word it belongs to. It seems strange to see question marks ? and speech marks " and apostrophes ' etc. appearing on their own on the next line.
The copyright sign © (Alt + 0169) is not recognised and shows as a ?
The text frequently appears outside of the viewing area — either to the left or below the bottom of the supposed ebook reading area.
Some words are still missing from sentences.

I am now going to do more tests on XHTML and HTML.

Has anyone else tried the Wolf Software? If so, I should be pleased to hear their comments.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:37 PM   #44
Moonraker
Addict

Some more tests I have done on .txt, .html and .xhtml

Plain text:
This showed the least amount of errors. English speech mark and capital I ('I) displayed as a Chinese character consistently throughout the book.
Some punctuation still adrift that shouldn't be.
I found no split words or paragraphs during my spot-check.

HTML:
Chinese symbols appearing in place of words containing accents. i.e. bébé

Words split over two lines which should not be. i.e. "You dumb dolt" displayed as
"You dumb dol
t"
Em dashes displaying as Chinese symbols.
Spacing errors particulary just before left speech marks. i.e. Karen said,"the sooner you and Fred… (i.e. no space between the comma and the ")

XHTML:
Chinese symbols appearing in the middle of English words.
Some punctuation adrift.
Chapter headings not displayed above first paragraph but appearing on first line i.e.

VI
Blah blah blah

appeared as:

VIBlah blah blah

I do have the Chinese Simplified font installed on my system. For those that do not I suspect different characters would appear — maybe the ? question mark.

I personally think that Jinke may have damaged the marketing potential of their new e-ink reader by releasing this software to the public in its unready state. I hope not, but I cannot overlook the fact that the Wolf software is unprofessional, unfinished and not befitting this wonderful new technology.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #45
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
Has anyone else tried the Wolf Software? If so, I should be pleased to hear their comments.
I've tried it. When making wol-book from file (right click on file, make wolf) - everything is so, as you described ((

But there are no problems, when I print from MSWord to Hanlin printer.
Text looks like pdf - fonts, paragraphs, hyphens.

But the file size... About 3,5-7,6MB depending on font size (larger font - more pages).
My test book was 125 A4 pages (font - 10 Times New Roman) - 3,5MB, or 175 A4 pages (font - 12 Times New Roman) - 7,6MB.

Last edited by TaKir; 03-31-2006 at 02:45 PM.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote