Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Security/Encrypted documents

Hi,
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before. Do you think it would be possible to implement encrypted folders for dr1000s?
Solutions like truecrypt etc are very useful for me, and I'd love to see the same features on my dr1000s. Considering how it is introduced as a business user device, it is not surprising that users of this device have to read sensitive documents.
I have a couple of confidential docs which I'm not totally comfortable about, when it comes to reading them on my reader. Some of them would give me a lot of headache in case my reader gets lost/stolen etc.
Would it be feasable with the current processing power?

Kind regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
moraine
moraine began at the beginning.

Hi Seref,
TC might be an option. It stands even a chance of getting true. The DR is a piece of hardware, that can be accessed. So that's the good news. If the DR has enough computational power and memory to make a TC-entrypted part possible, I don't know.

Imho it does not make sense, to me it seems just easier to remove the SD-card when the device is not used.

lg
Andy
moraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
I know with windows that the disk must be formatted to NTFS if you want to protect a folder. The FAT32 format does not allow this feature.
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
moraine
moraine began at the beginning.

tjdean, Seref did not think about folderencryption in the sense NTFS would do it, but mentioned truecrypt, which is largely independent of the hosting filesystem.

lg
Andy
moraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Hi there,
Yes I was referring to truecrypt, even something with much less strength would to the trick, I just don't want my files to be easily accessable.
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Can FBReader read off documents inside a zip/rar archive? I know the UDS can't. That would be ideal, you could just password protect the archive.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
Can FBReader read off documents inside a zip/rar archive?
Yes, but I don't think it will ask for a password before unziping.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, but I don't think it will ask for a password before unziping.
I guess, unfortunately password protection is not really encryption, and relies on an *honor system* to work.

I take it this means FBReader does read off of archives?
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote