Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
marcl
Enthusiast
marcl began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story HD (FW 1.13), Kobo Glo (FW 2.8.1), Kindle PW2 (FW 5.40)
Page numbers Glo and other devices

I would like to read ePubs (not from Kobo) on my Kobo Glo and read on with other devices (PC and Android). So I'm searching for reading software on PC and Android which counts the pages like Kobo to find the reading-progress.

Kobo Glo only syncs with KePubs but I noticed that the Kobo counts the same as my Story Hd. Should be the ADE reader engine!? Is it for all ePubs standardized (for example 1000 chracters a page)?

Cann you suggest reading software for PC and Android which also counts like the Kobo? The FB Reader on my PC for example not counts exactly like my Story Hd.
marcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
It is the ADE engine, and ADE counts pages the same way on any ADE device.

There's a lot of software that doesn't use the same page counting scheme, even though Adobe does publish how they do page counting to the public, so it can be replicated.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Sony reader library uses Ade page count and probably any Kobo app.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
On Android, the Mantano reading app uses ADE page numbering.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
David Soulayrol
David Soulayrol doesn't litterDavid Soulayrol doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Speaking of page numbers, I don't understand something on the Glo - which is my first ereader. On the two books I have opened until now, there is a page number at the bottom of the screen, and also a tiny page number in the right margin every two or three screens. The number at the bottom seems to follow the one on the side since it is only updated every two or three screens either.

I'd like to understand what belongs to the ebook and what is generated by the software here. And why the page numbers do not follow the displayed pages ? I thought the software did paginate the book on demand.

For the record, I only read sideloaded ebooks. The two I have opened until now are from feedbooks I think.
David Soulayrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The page is paginated on the fly, but it is the definition of what a page is. For reading epubs, a version of ADE is used. This defines a page as either 1000 or 1024 characters. So, exactly how much of a page is on each screen depends on the size of the font being used.

The page numbers at the bottom of the screen and the side are both generated by the software. The numbers on the side show the start of a page. The number on the bottom of the screen can be the same for more than one screen if the font size is large.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Soulayrol View Post
Speaking of page numbers, I don't understand something on the Glo - which is my first ereader. On the two books I have opened until now, there is a page number at the bottom of the screen, and also a tiny page number in the right margin every two or three screens. The number at the bottom seems to follow the one on the side since it is only updated every two or three screens either.

I'd like to understand what belongs to the ebook and what is generated by the software here. And why the page numbers do not follow the displayed pages ? I thought the software did paginate the book on demand.

For the record, I only read sideloaded ebooks. The two I have opened until now are from feedbooks I think.
In sideloaded books, the page numbers at the bottom of the screen follow the actual book page numbers. So if the original (paper) book had huge pages with tiny tiny letters, a lot of text will fit on one page, and it might take three or four page turns on your ereader (if you have it set to huge letters) before you actually get to the next paper-book page.

As for the page numbers in the side margin, showing those is an option you can switch off. When reading the book, you can open up the book menu (centre or bottom centre tap), then select the "spanner" icon, then hit "reading settings", then go to page 2 of the reading settings. There you can un-check the "Show page numbers in the margin." As the description of the option there says, these page numbers are available to "serve as a consistent reference across all ereaders and devices." I personally don't use it as I only use the one device, and, like you say, the page numbers are usually consistent with the ones shown at the bottom of the page...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
David Soulayrol

It's now crystal clear. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
David Soulayrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
As for the page numbers in the side margin, showing those is an option you can switch off.
Oh yes, now that you states it, I remember I saw it when I explored the device the first time I started it. Thanks for your detailed answer.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
marcl
Enthusiast
marcl began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story HD (FW 1.13), Kobo Glo (FW 2.8.1), Kindle PW2 (FW 5.40)
Any suggestions for a reading software at Windows which uses ADE and is more lightweight/smaller than sony reader library?

Is it known if the kobo counts with its ADE 1000 or 1024 letters a page so I can use an windows software that counts exactly the same?

Kobo App/Software only support KePubs I think!?

Last edited by marcl; 11-14-2012 at 08:03 AM.
marcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard

I'm sorry for barging into your thread without addressing the original issue. I did see your original post, but I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I use a Mac, and don't read on anything other than my eReader.

Yes, Kobo app only supports Kepubs.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcl View Post
Any suggestions for a reading software at Windows which uses ADE and is more lightweight/smaller than sony reader library?

Is it known if the kobo counts with its ADE 1000 or 1024 letters a page so I can use an windows software that counts exactly the same?

Kobo App/Software only support KePubs I think!?
Adobe Digital Editions can read books on Windows and Mac.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
In sideloaded books, the page numbers at the bottom of the screen follow the actual book page numbers.
As far as I'm aware this is not the case. Unless something has changed the number on the bottom should be following the ADE page numbers. A lot of people would be very excited if the bottom number followed the paper book. I believe Amazon has this on SOME books (not all).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
In sideloaded books, the page numbers at the bottom of the screen follow the actual book page numbers. So if the original (paper) book had huge pages with tiny tiny letters, a lot of text will fit on one page, and it might take three or four page turns on your ereader (if you have it set to huge letters) before you actually get to the next paper-book page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As far as I'm aware this is not the case. Unless something has changed the number on the bottom should be following the ADE page numbers. A lot of people would be very excited if the bottom number followed the paper book. I believe Amazon has this on SOME books (not all).
I believe that (some) B&N epubs also have page numbers that correspond to pbooks. Someone I talked to recently mentioned they were reading an ebook, and that they were surprised the ebook page numbers corresponded to the pbook he had.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote