Notices

Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
self-generated document froze my Reader

Hi,

I was just reading "Der Goldene Kompass" (in english "the golden compass" - I think) on my way to work this morning and was on page 4xx of about 1000 when my Reader froze.

I never had problems before but when I tried to turn to the next page the Reader just didn't respond.
I tried to go to the menu but it didn't respond to this either.
Pressing the "mark" button lights the blue circle but nothing happend.

When I arrived at work I did reset the Reader but when I switched it on again the screen did a few black->white->black screen-refreshes, then showed the usual "Starting...."-screen and kept displaying "Starting...".
The power-led was flashing yellow the whole time.

I reset the Reader several times and tried connecting it to my computer here at work - after a while it displayed "upgrading firmware" or something like that.

Unfortunately I cannot re-install the firmware here but I will try as soon as I get back home.

I really hope this will revive my Reader :/

But the big question is what caused the Reader to freeze???
A "special character"?
Faulty sd-card (the document I read is saved on the card)?

Any suggestions?
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When the orange light on the left blinks, it means you are too low on battery. What you'll need to do is plug it into the charge (do not use USB) and let it charge. Then it should work fine. Give it a few hours charging time at least.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
MacBeezle
Zealot

Really????

I also had that thought but I don't have the manual here with me so I cannot check it.

I always thought, that the Reader was displaying a "Warning: Battery low!" message?
Also the battery-meter said it's fully charged! (still running the old firmware)
And I only read about 500 pages since the last charge...

...are you sure it's been the battery?

Well anyway I just tried again to turn it on and got a "firmware update wasn't complete - update again"-message.
So I'll have to flash it anyway.

Last edited by MacBeezle; 07-25-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
MacBeezle
Zealot

I successfully revived my reader by re-installing the firmware.

I tried to open the document I was reading when it froze but this time it didn't froze but displayed the page just fine.

It wasn't the document that froze my Reader.

So what caused my Reader to freeze?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now I am at a loss as to why you needed to reinstall the firmware. Did you install the newest firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
MacBeezle
Zealot

Yes I did. Why do you ask?

I had to reinstall the firmware because the Reader didn't start up without this step.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
I am guessing something "zapped" it corrupting or even wiping the firmware OR an unlucky crash at just the wrong moment wacking the firmware. Think your computer crashing JUST as its writing the hive in windows. Rare but instant splat :-)
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote