Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Huppel
Huppel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Sony collection being removed

Hi,

I just started using calibre and it's great!!
I only have one problem (version 0.7.32) I bought some books and send them to my reader (sony PRS 650) using adobe digital editions. I put those books in it's own collection. Now when I add books using calibre and put them in another collection the collection I put the bought books in is deleted by calibre despite that I set the metadata management to manual as mentioned in the FAQ. Am I doing something wrong or how can I prevent my collection from being removed?

Kind regards

Huppel
Huppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Do the books added by ADE appear in calibre's device view (when connected)? If they do not, then calibre thinks that they are gone and will delete them from the Sony database, removing the collections as a side effect. The Sony will scan memory and add them back when you eject the reader, but bookmarks and collections will be gone.

I ask because I have a vague memory that ADE puts books in a folder different from the Sony Reader SW and from calibre. If I am remembering correctly then that is the explanation, and there is no solution other than to not use both ADE and calibre.

This discussion points out one general principle: it isn't a good idea to use two different programs to manage your reader. There is never a guarantee that they will play nice together. You should be able to avoid this problem by importing the books from ADE into calibre, then using calibre to send them to the Sony. ADE will already have set the DRM for your Adobe ID and the Sony is already registered, so you shouldn't have problems reading DRM-infested books.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Huppel
Huppel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Thanks, I did use ADE to add the books, didn't even think of the possibility to use calibre because the books had DRM. But I now imported them from ADE and use calibre to sync them. Works great, many thanks!

Huppel
Huppel is offline   Reply With Quote