Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #661
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
ok... just discovered another big PLUS for Bluefire Reader.... Adobe eBook accounts are supported. Just downloaded a "Digital Editions" DRM book from a library and I'm able to read it in Bluefire Reader.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #662
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
ok... just discovered another big PLUS for Bluefire Reader.... Adobe eBook accounts are supported. Just downloaded a "Digital Editions" DRM book from a library and I'm able to read it in Bluefire Reader.
Yes, that is an important advertised feature of the product.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #663
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Hi Micah
If we could side load fonts into the user file area, and reference them with a CSS path, that would be nice.
Of course this is a niche request, but you never know...
Actually, I've been toying for a long time with a feature for adding fonts by simply side-loading an OTF file. We could make it simply work with iTunes file sharing, or even supporting the .otf mime type so you could "open in" from DropBox, email, etc. Trick is, it usually requires separate faces for "bold", "italics" and "bold italics" - which would make it trickier. For some reason we are not able to use system fonts, though we should revisit that to see if we can figure it out. Also, in upcoming updates, I will probably add a few more fonts to the download package. Still would like a way to have a "power" feature for adding fonts, but as described above, it is a bit more involved and would require some "workflow" interface.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #664
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
I am having exactly the same problem. It takes a long time to register a page turn then because I have got frustrated and tried a second time it suddenly jumps 2 pages. iPad2 with iOS5 reading an ePub book. Seems to be the same with any ePub as well.
Interesting. I've tried to repro with no luck. I do know that memory issues can slow down our app. It would be interesting to try to close all other apps running in the background as well as BFR, then launch BFR and see if it is the same. Granted, not what I'd want to tell most users to do, but would help me try to pin down the cause.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #665
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suspect your description is better. It is not the pressure of the swipe but the timing of the swipe. It is possible that the page, or the next page being prepared is complicated and there is a delay registering the event. This could account for what you are seeing.

Dale
Yes, Bluefire is single threaded, and always renders the "next" page (off screen) to try to have it ready for when you are done with the "current" page. When rendering that "off screen" page, we can not trap swipe events. If you are trying to quickly "flip" through pages, you will experience a lag that can be frustrating. And if the timing is "just right" we might register two swipes in that moment between when the next page is "ready" and the transition to the next page is complete.

In the update we are doing right now, we've changed that in PDF view so that you can "swipe" to the next page, and if it is not ready you see a "working" animation . This makes the app feel more responsive. Maybe we should consider doing that for ePub too.
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #666
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Done. Rated and reviewed. Did some downvoting of other comments as well. Kinda wonder if the slew of one star reviews is orchestrated by a non-free competitor.
Thank you much!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #667
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I tried a different book and got the whole magnifier (bubble around a word where I tapped) + app freeze problem within like 3 minutes. I have to completely shut down Bluefire in order to get it to respond to anything afterwards. It happened today when I was paging through the book trying to find my spot, so fairly quickly tapping the previous page (left side). Sigh. I could try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, since no one else seems to be having the problem..
Sorry you are having that problem
Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #668
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I tried a different book and got the whole magnifier (bubble around a word where I tapped) + app freeze problem within like 3 minutes. I have to completely shut down Bluefire in order to get it to respond to anything afterwards. It happened today when I was paging through the book trying to find my spot, so fairly quickly tapping the previous page (left side). Sigh. I could try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, since no one else seems to be having the problem..
Are you experiencing this on PDF's or EPUB's?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #669
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

I was working on the design for collections UI today. i think y'all will really like it. (I hope)
Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #670
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Are you experiencing this on PDF's or EPUB's?
Epubs
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #671
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
I was working on the design for collections UI today. i think y'all will really like it. (I hope)
At my church the UI for collections is called the "offering plate" and it's very interactive.

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the next release of Bluefire Reader. Thanks Micah.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #672
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Quote:
Interesting. I've tried to repro with no luck. I do know that memory issues can slow down our app. It would be interesting to try to close all other apps running in the background as well as BFR, then launch BFR and see if it is the same. Granted, not what I'd want to tell most users to do, but would help me try to pin down the cause.
I have tried that by deleting all other open apps and restarting BF and there is no change WiFi and BT off too. I am reading the book normally not fast forwarding through pages. It is taking about 2 to 3 seconds to display the next page. I use Night Mode I don't know if that makes a difference. Also saving the preferences (which I have to do fairly frequently due to forgetting the orientation lock) seems to take a long time around 30 seconds as well.

Hope this helps diagnose the issue.

----

I have just done some more testing. It doesn't matter whether I am in day or night mode and it doesn't matter which method of page turning that I have enabled it always takes about 3 seconds for a page turn either backwards or forwards and always 30 seconds to save options.

16gb ipad2 wifi only with 9gb free.

Last edited by Valkrider; 11-04-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: More information
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #673
Pucko
Pucko began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucko View Post
But since I got your attention at this forum I would like to take the opportunity to present my suggestions here.
Well... it was worth a shot, I guess.

Pucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #674
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucko View Post
I'm sorry Micah, I had no idea.

But since I got your attention at this forum I would like to take the opportunity to present my suggestions here.

I think you should insert a fast forward- and a fast rewind button to make it easier to jump between chapters.

I'm aware that there's a content-button for jumping to a specific chapter. But if you just want to "scroll" through the chapters, not knowing which one your looking for, thats not a good alternative.

I also think there should be an option to jump to a specific page (That's what the empty white square in my picture representing).

Just recently I got an other idea, but it may seem a little stupid.

But wouldn't it be cool if it was possible to flip through pages by sound? Imagine laying down in bed with your iThing resting against a pillow and not even have to move a finger to flip to the next page - all you would have to do is make a small sound of any kind. (This would certainly make your app more handicap friendly as well.)

So Micah... What do you think?

This is a suggestion of what the app could look like with "chapter-flipping-buttons" and a square for inserting a certain page number:
The Fast forward is a good idea. I had that in earlier designs. The "go to page" is a must and has been on the list. And the sound thing is quite inventive. I'll ponder that. I think I myself might use that. Tricky to get it tuned just right though so that ambient sound does not page you around when you are trying to read.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #675
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Warning! I've heard reports that upgrading to iOS 5 will "blow away" your entire library. And I've head a report that it even blows away bookmarks/annotations. Anyone experienced that? Oh Apple, come on.