Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #31
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Why are you linking to an article about the impracticality of applying intellectual property laws to fashion if your point is to refute my comment about the impracticality of applying intellectual property laws to fashion?

Representative quote from said article:

Quote:
Consumers benefit enormously from the fashion industry’s freedom to copy. Because of copying, the latest styles are not restricted to the wealthy – indeed, copying has played a major role in democratizing fashion.

The point of my original comparison was the ultimate impracticality of copyrighting elementary design decisions, whether they be industrial or sartorial.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-18-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #32
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
And your use of a privately received note as an unattributed sig is either dishonest (if unattributable because untrue) or disrespectful (if the sender didn't give you permission to use the quote, which the lack of attribution suggests).
While I do agree with you, I do find his sig amusing... I guess everybody gets to have at least one fan.

I don't use the Ignore User feature, but I do get sorely tempted lately.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #33
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I suspected that wasn't true before, but the Times has confirmed it since

Now I gather that at least one of the 2 motorolas (who knows which) has patents that are also related to multimedia and could be beneficial to Google's other products, but as to the current trolls, Palm's patents would trump. They're tailor-made to defend against both MS and Apple.

I've mentioned elsewhere that Google should use Motorola's patents to leverage a larger patent trove: that of all the major Android manufacturers. It would work by Google offering licensing of Motorola patents to each in exchange for them offering common licensing of their own patents that would help fill in the gaps of the overall portfolio and make each of them bulletproof. Getting those manufacturers to offer licenses to their competition would be a tough sell, but I'm not convinced motorola's patents alone are going to end this. After all, Apple already sued motorola. At the very least, they weren't intimidated by that portfolio.
I wonder what patents WebOS/HP has and whether they will go up for sale.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I wonder what patents WebOS/HP has and whether they will go up for sale.
I don't know how many patents they have but probably quite a lot. The entire computer division is up for sale and HP is getting out of the Tablet/phone business. What do you bid?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #35
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I don't know how many patents they have but probably quite a lot. The entire computer division is up for sale and HP is getting out of the Tablet/phone business. What do you bid?

Dale
We should all pitch in, buy WebOS and make it open source. Then, with the hacker community behind it, we would finally have something to kick the big guys' behinds. Not the fruity golden cage, and still a lot better than Android.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote