Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #16
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Sorry dude, I put them forward thinking that they had some sort of techinical expertise and now it's out in the open that they're nothing but a re-badger now just starting to grovel for someone to fix the ODM's crappy Android version... they MIGHT be good in the future, but unless they hire some staff...

Personally I'm stil thinking of cheapy Augen or Pandigital Novel tablet to tinker with.. you OTOH MIGHT want to consider coughing up $500 to Crapple or waiting and seeing if Velocty Micro(apparenlt some custom PC "builder" of extra high cost "performance" custom PCs) can produce the "Cruz Tablet"... dunno as I've never heard of Velocity Micro myself(I build my own PCs for about 1/10th the cost, same specs) but...

(I'm considering them myself IF they can actually finally be a domestic Android tablet seller that can roll it's own version of Android... the rest have been beyond sad so far... sadly...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #17
DigitalAutoPilot
DigitalAutoPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I just bought a Pandigital Novel today. So far, I'm really liking it.
*Reasonably* easy to hack around on. $110 after discount coupon and rebate.

This will hold me until MSI or ASUS bring out a 'good' tablet.
DigitalAutoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #18
oorwullie
oorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litter

Device: acer all in one,acer a500 nexus7 palm tungsten kindlekb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewain View Post
Hi oorwullie, love the avatar. It caught my eye and I had been considering getting the A81. After seeing your post I too got one from merimobiles. Perhaps you can help me with a couple of things.
I'm worried that it won't play videos on android 2.1. Do you know how to boot the machine into wince as that should have a media player in it? When you boot up, does it give you the option which OS to use?
Did you get an English manual or did you manage to find one somewhere? If not how did you manage to figure out how to upgrade firmware etc?
rockplayer is the only one that i use,was told about it from somebody on one of one of the forum sites, have not tried to boot into wince as the unit comes with android installed and you have to install wince from the micro sdcard(i am very happy using android and have not tried wince,maybe sometime i will try it but not at the moment). there is no english manual with it but if you have used an android phone you should be able to use it. the update was from wits themeselfs and if you go here http://bbs.witstech.com.cn/dispbbs.a...did=10&Id=3104 you will be able to download and install as the instructions are on the site, i updated the unit myself and it only took about 10 minutes from start to finish (be sure to format with the program that came with the update)............oorwullie
oorwullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #19
gewain
gewain began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oorwullie View Post
rockplayer is the only one that i use,was told about it from somebody on one of one of the forum sites, have not tried to boot into wince as the unit comes with android installed and you have to install wince from the micro sdcard(i am very happy using android and have not tried wince,maybe sometime i will try it but not at the moment). there is no english manual with it but if you have used an android phone you should be able to use it. the update was from wits themeselfs and if you go here http://bbs.witstech.com.cn/dispbbs.a...did=10&Id=3104 you will be able to download and install as the instructions are on the site, i updated the unit myself and it only took about 10 minutes from start to finish (be sure to format with the program that came with the update)............oorwullie
Thanks oorwullie, I'm hoping to get mine next week and I want to use it mainly for ebook reading and watching a few videos. All seems well on the video front if the rockplayer does the job. How about ebook reading? Does it come with an ebook reader that can read pdf, epub etc. or do you use some other apps for that? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.
Peter
gewain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:36 AM   #20
oorwullie
oorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litter

Device: acer all in one,acer a500 nexus7 palm tungsten kindlekb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewain View Post
Thanks oorwullie, I'm hoping to get mine next week and I want to use it mainly for ebook reading and watching a few videos. All seems well on the video front if the rockplayer does the job. How about ebook reading? Does it come with an ebook reader that can read pdf, epub etc. or do you use some other apps for that? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.
Peter
dont worry about all the queastions, i use aldiko for epubs and ireader for everything else and the tablet is just the right size for that. you need to keep the bitrate low for the video to work,i use a ipod to mp4 converter to convert my video(just 1 so far and it worked). 1 thing the update did not do was repair the battery indicator (it shows full all the time). if you have any more questions just ask and i will answer if i can.............oorwullie
oorwullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
gewain
gewain began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oorwullie View Post
dont worry about all the queastions, i use aldiko for epubs and ireader for everything else and the tablet is just the right size for that. you need to keep the bitrate low for the video to work,i use a ipod to mp4 converter to convert my video(just 1 so far and it worked). 1 thing the update did not do was repair the battery indicator (it shows full all the time). if you have any more questions just ask and i will answer if i can.............oorwullie
Many thanks. I feel a lot better about getting it now. Sounds like it will do what I want for the moment and has a lot of potential if they upgrade some of the features on 2.1 or better still get 2.2 going. I'll let you know how it works out when I get the little devil and fire it up.
Peter
gewain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #22
denclock
denclock began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Pro/ Jetbook, 9" Pandigital Novel
I have been using my Aluratek Libre Pro and love it, except it is a pain in the butt to try and read comics on it. I have found some lower cost MIDs' that seem to be ipad knock off, though appearently they have been around longer that the ipad.

Here is a list of devices that have caught my interest, The Book and Gentouch78 by Augen, and their are several low priced MID on Gindart, and from what I can judge I think that they are by Eken.
Here is a link to the gindart site

I would occasionally use the device to go on the web , and to view movies, and from what I understand The book by augen can do those things, and it is $89 which is a good price imo if it works well.

Can anyone help me select or narrow down the field?
denclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #23
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Sorry dude,
http://www.slatedroid.com/f27/zenith...8-cortex-3787/

I made a mistake thinking that a US company would pay more attention. Turns out that flatcomputing have NO technical staff and were entirely blindsided by the lack of OS functionality and their fleecing...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote