Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Me!
Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4
[New FIRMWARE] Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.1

Here

Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.3.1

We have a new, free software update available for Kindle Paperwhite. The software update will be delivered wirelessly and includes optimizations for your Kindle’s performance, including fixes for Wi-Fi connectivity. This update automatically downloads and installs for most Kindle Paperwhite customers; however, you can also manually download the software and update your device via USB cable.

Download Version 5.3.1
Here's how to download the Kindle software update version 5.3.1 and transfer it to your Kindle via USB:

Determine your software version: From Home, tap Menu, then Settings. From Settings, tap Menu, then Device Info. If you have the latest update, it should look like this:

If you see an earlier version, please proceed with the steps below to update your Kindle to the latest software.

Download your software: Click the link below to download the software update file directly to your computer:
Download Software Update 5.3.1

Transfer software to your Kindle: Turn your Kindle on and connect it to your computer using the USB cable. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer onto the Kindle drive. Do not drop the file into one of the folders within the Kindle drive.

Monitor file transfer and disconnect: Check your file transfer progress to ensure file transfer to your Kindle is complete before disconnecting. After the file has transferred successfully, eject the Kindle to safely disconnect your Kindle from your computer. Disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle and your computer.

Start the software update: From Home, tap Menu, then Settings. Tap Menu, then Update Your Kindle. (This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.) Tap Ok if you want to perform an update. You will see Your Kindle is Updating.

Once the update is complete: Your Kindle will automatically restart. From Device Info, you will see Firmware Version: Kindle 5.3.1.
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
163 MB. I guess it again flashes whole rootfs. It's a warning sign about possible attempt to prevent recent jailbreak (but maybe it's a false alarm, I don't know ATM).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
toddmp
toddmp doesn't littertoddmp doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW
Airplane Mode = On.
toddmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Updating now. However this is a minor update, which I believe had not much purpose other than preventing jailbreaks. All companies do this and Amazon is no exception.
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It really flashes whole rootfs, but quick look at new rootfs showed that signs of "sweet puppy certificate" installing vector are still there and "sweet puppy certificate" "bridge" should work also.

In simple words, jailbreak should still work. I didn't test it on practice, though, as I don't own PW.
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Probably too much to hope that this will reduce battery drain when wireless is on.

Amazon seems to be in some flurry of update activity (PW, Fire HD, Fire 2g, iOS, Android). It would be nice if Kindle Touch and Fire 1g got some update love also.

KT still needs:
- whispersync for voice support
- kf8 fixed layout support
- fix line spacing issues

They should port some of the features of Fire 2g to Fire 1g, also, since they're so similar.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Has anyone seen a specific list of the included
"optimizations"? I do not see one on the site
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Has anyone seen a specific list of the included
"optimizations"? I do not see one on the site
Because they "optimized" it out...
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My PW updated as soon as the file was loaded and I disconnected from my PC. I did not have to go to the Menu.

However, my one defect of not being able to run Active Content when Special Offers are disabled is still not fixed. I just called it in to Amazon CS for forwarding to the PW Development Team a few days ago. Maybe the next update will fix it.

In the meantime my KFHD7-32 apps more than compensate for no AC on the PW.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
wrong thread

Last edited by mano42; 12-07-2012 at 03:12 AM.
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How do I initiate a download of the new firmware with Wi-Fi without using a computer or a USB cable?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'd say by waiting :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
If you go into settings and then press the button on the top right again, there should be an option to update your kindle.
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
As there is now a new jailbreak for this release, thanks to ixtab, here
I just updated my PW, by downloading the file to my PC first.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #15
cybergeezer
cybergeezer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 and K3 3G + WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite WiFi, iPod Touch 3, 4 & 5
WiFi connectivity with 5.3.1 for Paperwhite

Received the 5.3.1 firmware update for Kindle Paperwhite automatically today.

Thought I had a scoop after checking some of my favorite Kindle blogs but of course this was old news on MobileReads...I have been remiss in not checking MobileReads for some time. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

For just the last couple of days I noticed that the WiFi scan was not picking up my router. Sometimes a rescan didn't improve the result. Eventually, after several tries my router was detected.

With admittedly limited testing after the firmware upgrade when I turn on WiFi the Kindle Paperwhite very quickly detects my router.

So, I'm simply asserting that whatever other purposes the upgrade may have served it appears that it did, in fact, do something to improve WiFi connectivity.
cybergeezer is offline   Reply With Quote