Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
My Documents Disappears with 1.4 Update

I tried posting this on the B&N nook board, but it's taking too long to post -- and besides, I'll probably get better answers here.

Has this happened to anyone else? I updated to 1.4 tonight (by sideloading the update). But now I can no longer see any files in My Documents. I tried "Check for new documents," but that "checks" for a second or two and then ... shows nothing. I also tried shutting the book down and restarting, but that doesn't work. I connected it back to the computer to make sure the documents really are there -- and of course they are.

Most of my documents are in the My Documents folder -- including, of course, the document I was reading just before the update. I even tried connecting my nook to the computer (yet again), deleting the document I was reading just in case something went wrong with it (because it was open when the update was installed), then ejecting the nook again. But that didn't work, either.

My next step might be deleting all the books in My Documents and reinstalling them using Calibre. But there are a lot, so it would be a pain to have to do that.

P. S. Yes, the nook does have a good charge (87%).
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
after I read your post I immediatlly went and checked "my docs" since I just put in over 25 Stephen King books.

Mine are all there safe and sound.

Did you eject your nook or just unplugged it when the update was completed?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

also you didn't create a new folder and dragged the update in that did you? just trying to overturn all rocks.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did eject the drive, and I dragged the update into the top-level folder. It seems that other people are having similar problems. Some people got the documents back by deleting them and sideloading again, 15-20 at a time, to find out what documen was causing the problems. (It seems that all it takes is one file that worked in version 1.3 but doesn't work in 1.4.) Others got the documents back by restarting several times.

I used tis as a chance to reorganize my ebooks on the book as too many got the author listing wrong. (An author name that is followed by "et al" should not be sorted by last nme "al." )
Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I did eject the drive, and I dragged the update into the top-level folder. It seems that other people are having similar problems. Some people got the documents back by deleting them and sideloading again, 15-20 at a time, to find out what documen was causing the problems. (It seems that all it takes is one file that worked in version 1.3 but doesn't work in 1.4.) Others got the documents back by restarting several times.

I used tis as a chance to reorganize my ebooks on the book as too many got the author listing wrong. (An author name that is followed by "et al" should not be sorted by last nme "al." )

you dragged it into the top folder? From what I read when downloading the update manually you should only drag it into the main directory.

this is from the website

Drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to an existing folder.

I wonder if that caused the issue.
as I said my docs are just fine. weird
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
philburkhardt
philburkhardt began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
you dragged it into the top folder? From what I read when downloading the update manually you should only drag it into the main directory.

this is from the website

Drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to an existing folder.

I wonder if that caused the issue.
as I said my docs are just fine. weird
The "top" folder is the folder where the main directory is located. "Top" meaning it is the main folder (the one named nook). Not Top as in the top of a list, or a folder named Top.
philburkhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Khai
Enthusiast
Khai began at the beginning.

Device: nook
After updating and opening My Documents for the first time, my nook showed 'No documents'. I panicked for a while, then my nook displayed the "Checking for new content.." screen shows up and all my eBooks were relaoded. *phew*
Khai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
The "top" folder is the folder where the main directory is located. "Top" meaning it is the main folder (the one named nook). Not Top as in the top of a list, or a folder named Top.
Right. By top, I meant "top level." Or in DOS-speak, D:\ (or whatever letter the nook has in your case).

Anyway, I'm at it again, adding documents in batches via Calibre, and then checking to make sure the nook recognizes them. I had added up to the authors with last names starting with "L" last night, but then something messed it up again, so I started again. In smaller batches this time. I did delete an old eReader.com file (heck, it's so old it might be a Peanut Press file ) that may have been causing some problems.

At least it gives me something to do while I read Mission of Honor.