Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #106
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
A bouquet for Reports, which I just discovered. Showed me I was missing links to stylesheets in two of my sections. They aren't much used in these footnotes, but preventative headache relief were I to try to style them!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #107
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am having an issue with spellcheck. It seems that the user list might have a limit on it because I add items and come back later and the same items are shown misspelled. I have searched the issues and don't see this reported.

My need for a large user list is great as I edit history which means adding many foreign and proper names.

Is it that the additions are only saved if the document is saved?

That is not a desirable behavior, as I want to save only when I intend to change something, rather than just reviewing for spelling and other types of errors. I don't want to save inadvertent keystrokes.

Last edited by mrmikel; 10-26-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #108
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@mrmikel - you mean other than the issue that you yourself raised and meme commented back on?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we need detailed repro steps with a sample epub. Always, always, always please.

Words are added to the dictionary file straight away (when you choose the "Add to dictionary" option in Code View). Not when the book is saved. So they are immediately available to another instance of Sigil opened in parallel. It is possible to get the "in memory" cache of Sigil in a pickle if you do some edge case things likes removing a word from the dictionary without reopening the other Sigil instance, but generally it just works in a way people don't have an issue with.

As meme replied on your issue, the ignore list *will* get automatically cleared any time the dictionary is reloaded. Which means if you go into preferences and either switch dictionaries or add/remove words in there, your Ignore list gets wiped when you click OK.

It should also be noted that putting the word "foo" in the dictionary will not automatically put pluralised or other apostrophe'd variations in the dictionary too. So that "same word" you see may not really be the same word.

And as meme also pointed out on the issue there is a known bug with the spelling to do with casing variations. And how depending on the order of which variant is added to the dictionary first you may or may not see the issue occur.

Incidentally your other (legacy) issue you spotted about the syntax highlighting for misspelled words in that particular situation has been fixed for 0.6.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #109
mrmikel
Color me gone

I was referring to exactly identical words, including the case.

I wish I were able to be more specific. I add them, then I go down the document and there they are again. I just opened the document I attached earlier to chapter 4, added Weighill and then close and open up again and it is still there. I opened up the preferences to the user list and it is empty. YIKE.

I did not fiddle with it, I did not play with the directory, I did nothing that should have made it go away.

When I click on open dictionary directory, it opens to favorites and it is empty. It is possible I did not do correctly in importing material from the previous beta, but the shouldn't have affected what words I try to add now.

user dictionary is located in Users/Mike/AppData/Local/sigil-ebook/sigil/user_dictionaries. It does not display in preferences, but it is there and the same list. I did not do anything but look at it in Notepad ++, just now and only now trying to provide you with data.

When I returned to Sigil, still displaying nothing in the user list under preferences, I got this error:

Application Error
ExceptionEAcessViolation in module HTML Tag_unicode.dll at 0005EDC8.
Acess violation at address 030CEDC8 in module 'HTML Tag_unicode.dll. Read of address 6A6764E60.

I have not made any attempt to delete anything from the dictionary except some new words I tried to add, but which I couldn't manage to enter. When I last left it, it was still intact.

When I tried to add words previously, it did not do what it is doing now, which allows you to type in letters. It just jumped up and down the list as you typed and showed a blank for each attempt at the bottom of the list.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #110
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When trying to open a "testfile" from an online bookshop (which is usually a brief extract of the beginning of the book, with a truncated or nonexistant .ncx) I get this error, and pressing OK, Sigil opens, but with an empty, new file. Since this type of error would be easily corrected in Sigil, shouldn't it just open the file with a warning?

I enclose the error and a typical file (which is an automatically generated testversion from my distributor of one my own publications, so no secrets or copyright issues here!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	94932

9788779792661.epub

Other than that, I haven't encountered any errors in the latest beta - nice work!

Regards,

Kim

Last edited by elibrarian; 10-26-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #111
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I was referring to exactly identical words, including the case.

I wish I were able to be more specific. I add them, then I go down the document and there they are again. I just opened the document I attached earlier to chapter 4, added Weighill and then close and open up again and it is still there. I opened up the preferences to the user list and it is empty. YIKE.
Do you have permission to write in that directory/file? I just did exactly what you said and it works (on Ubuntu). I wonder if any of your settings are being saved.

Can you go to Preferences and click Open Preferences Location (in the bottom left) and reconfirm the full path of what directory is opened.

Can you then try to create a file (e.g. test.txt) and see if you are allowed?

Can you then go to Spellcheck Dictionaries in Preferences and click on Open Dictionary Location and reconfirm the full path of the directory. (Note that this is the location of the hunspell dictionaries - NOT your user dictionaries, but I'm just interested in whether it opens ok).

Can you then go into the directory "user_dictionaries" in the directory found with OPen Preferences Location and see if you have a file "default" there - this should be your dictionary.

Can you close Sigil, open "default" with a text editor and see if it contains your words - and then close it without saving.

Start Sigil, add a word to the dictionary in Sigil, then exit, and then look at "default" again to see if its there.

Thanks for persevering - and for your comments/bug reports. Even without details on some of them we've already fixed a few issues. I know its not what you want to be doing, but we do appreciate it - even if you keep coming back after we say it works fine for us
Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #112
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
When trying to open a "testfile" from an online bookshop (which is usually a brief extract of the beginning of the book, with a truncated or nonexistant .ncx) I get this error, and pressing OK, Sigil exits. Since this type of error would be easily corrected in Sigil, shouldn't it just open the file with a warning?
Well that's one pretty messed up toc.ncx.

We have implemented a number of 'corrections' already for invalid files, and if I remember correctly we did discuss something similar - missing or invalid toc. The approach would be to create a default toc file if the one that was read was rubbish. I believe it was something that just didn't make it in in time for 0.6.0 and is on the list to revisit for the next release.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #113
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@elibrarian - the issue is those "[]" characters at the end of the DOCTYPE in the ncx file. They are invalid and should *not* be there. I have seen this before with some other example someone posted. Whoever is responsible for the software putting those in needs to be taken out to a paddock and shot.

As meme says at least Sigil does not crash now which is what it did in the past.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #114
mrmikel
Color me gone

I am using Windows 7 64 bit upgraded from Vista 64 bit, both home premium. (I save my Ubuntu for banking business ONLY.)
I checked on permissions in files like the dictionary and BETA-sigi.ini. They are full control, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

The preferences button open the path I listed previously just fine. No troubles there. I wrote a small text file there no troubles.

Open dictionary directory opens to Favorites, not to actually dictionary location. Can navigate there, but shows no files when I click on dictionary directory. I know they are there because I opened them up in Notepad++ and saw they were there.

There is a default dictionary there for user dictionary named default.

I did add a test_word. It showed up in the user dictionary, but all my previous words are gone now...BAH HUMBUG. But it is not listed in the preferences dialog! I feel like Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football. (I don't know whether that means a thing to someone who lives in the UK!)

One thing that is different on my system from some is my documents all come from drive J:, which is a separate partition which I use only for my documents, so that if Windows blows up it will not take my documents with it...though it is all one hard drive, so it it fails, I will have to reload from my little 250 GB USB drive. Sigil lives along with its files on my C: drive, the Windows partition.

Where is the Open Dictionary Directory set, in the ini.file? Because it does not work.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #115
mrmikel
Color me gone

I was poking around in that preferences dialog and noticed that the special characters dialog listed a font I never heard of, which is the first alphabetically. It would be desirable for a fresh installation to start with the same font as the Book View/Preview view. That would make what is displayed closer to what will be seen in a reader.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #116
kiwidude

@mrmikel - it does sound a bit like paths on your machine are the cause of your spelling woes.

As for where Sigil pulls its directory location from, it comes from Qt via QDesktopServices:: DataLocation, which varies depending on the OS. The "Open Dictionary Location" feature should open up where Sigil expects to find your hunspell_dictionaries subfolder (not your "user_dictionaries" subfolder which should be a sibling of that one).

Perhaps the changing of paths on your machine has not changed all the necessary locations that Qt is using internally to resolve those locations or something. Looking at the source code for Qt, on Windows that is a win api call to GetSpecialFolderPath for the local appdata folder.

Last edited by kiwidude; 10-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #117
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@elibrarian - the issue is those "[]" characters at the end of the DOCTYPE in the ncx file. They are invalid and should *not* be there. I have seen this before with some other example someone posted. Whoever is responsible for the software putting those in needs to be taken out to a paddock and shot.
He he - that's not allowed here in Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
As meme says at least Sigil does not crash now which is what it did in the past.
Yep. And it doesn't seem to bother ADE or other readers of my aquaintance, other than the "The document appears to have minor errors that might cause it to be displayed incorrectly" message in the ADE info-box. So I guess it's can be lived with.

Regards,

Kim
Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #118
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
The preferences button open the path I listed previously just fine. No troubles there. I wrote a small text file there no troubles.
The path you gave before couldn't have been exactly the same as what you get when pressing the button. To avoid confusion (at least on my part) - can you click the "Open Preferences Location" button on the lower left of the Preferences window and list the full path you see.

As kiwidude said, perhaps paths are the cause of your problem, but maybe the test below will at least shed some light on whether a simple add works.

Quote:
Open dictionary directory opens to Favorites, not to actually dictionary location. Can navigate there, but shows no files when I click on dictionary directory.
Odd. Open Dictionary Directory should open in the hunspell_dictionaries directory in your preferences directory. We'll re-check that as the code to open those two directories is slightly different and maybe not working as expected at least for you (but does seem to work for others).

Quote:
I did add a test_word. It showed up in the user dictionary, but all my previous words are gone now...BAH HUMBUG. But it is not listed in the preferences dialog!
Confused. So your new word shows up in Sigil's user dictionary but not in preferences?

Lets restart, step by step. We're missing something basic here that just isn't clear without being able to see it... You can PM if you want, but someone else might catch what's happening:

Close all Sigils, Notepads, etc.
Use Notepad++ to open "Users/Mike/AppData/Local/sigil-ebook/sigil/user_dictionaries/default" so you can remember its current contents. Close the file.
Start Sigil
Go to Preferences->Spellcheck Dictionaries
Click on Add on the far right (just above the Edit button)
Type a word, hit Return.
-> Did the word get added?
Close Preferences.
Open Preferences
-> Is the word still there?
Use Notepad++ to open "Users/Mike/AppData/Local/sigil-ebook/sigil/user_dictionaries/default" -> is the word still there? Close the file.
Stop Sigil
Restart Sigil
Use Notepad++ to open "Users/Mike/AppData/Local/sigil-ebook/sigil/user_dictionaries/default" -> is the word still there? Close the file.
Go to Preferences->Spellcheck Dictionaries
Is the word still there?

Repeat with a second word.

Quote:
I feel like Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football. (I don't know whether that means a thing to someone who lives in the UK!)
Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #119
mrmikel
Color me gone

What I see when pushing the button is:
Mike\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil

After opening and closing preferences, the word is not still there. But it is in default. Though when I started this process from before, default was empty even though I had put a word there!
I put in a second word. It is now there, but the first one is GONE!

BTW, both GIMP and LibreOffice use hunspell.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #120
meme
Sigil developer

It may be possible that when you add the word to the dictionary in Sigil that the defaults file is not immediately updated - it might only write it on exit. This is unlikely as I think we flush it to disk, but its why I wanted you to exit Sigil before checking the file.

But in any case, this is definitely odd. No one else seems to be having the issue (although it has been pretty quiet around here) and I think I've run out of questions for the moment.

So you add the word in preferences, close the dialog, then open it again and the word is not there. But if you look in the default file the word is there. Hmmm...
Closed Thread