Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #34546
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My parents have friends they haven't seen in years over tonight. I'm not in the mood for stories about stories of the "old days" so I'm planning a relaxing night upstairs. I've stocked up on some yummy things, I think I'm first going to sketch for a while before changing into my pyjamas and start with series one of Sons of Anarchy.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #34547
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Sat around all morning with no TV or radio on waiting for FedEx, until I get a text message "Delivery attempted. Customer not at home."
That was a waste of a morning and 9 dollars for Saturday delivery.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #34548
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Sat around all morning with no TV or radio on waiting for FedEx, until I get a text message "Delivery attempted. Customer not at home."
That's amazingly annoying when that happens. I once had a delivery going to a college in Cambridge. To the Porter's Lodge, which *always* has someone there.

For three days the delivery was reported as "attempted by no-one home". It turned out that there were roadworks blocking the road at one end. The delivery driver has assumed that the road was completely blocked, and never tried to deliver the package, just logged it as no-one home. It only got delivered on the fourth day because he was chatting to other drivers and found out that access was possible from the other end of the road!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #34549
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I would call and complain. You should get the delivery charge back.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #34550
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thinking about how taking art classes in secondary school and at the community centre actually prevented me from developing my own style of drawing and painting. My art teacher in secondary school always wanted us to make art with a meaning on A3 or bigger and be very detailed. The instructor at the community centre preferred a quick and loose style in A3 or bigger. They both preferred paint over other materials.

Lately I've been sketching a lot and, like before, I prefer A4 or even A5 sized paper. graphite (pencil or solid graphite) is still my preferred material. I used to be very precise and a perfectionist when it came to drawing but since then I've loosened up a bit (although it really depends on what I'm drawing). As a teenager I loved drawing portraits but I now find I'm mostly drawing landscapes and close ups of flowers.

It's a shame that some teachers want to force their style on their pupils. I think if I was taught by the other art teacher in school I might have developed my own style more and not have stopped drawing after secondary school.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #34551
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I took an art class years ago. At one point the teacher set up a wicker basket of fruit for us to paint. Having seen too many fruit baskets, I decided to paint it from a different perspective; as if I were a fruit inside the basket looking out between the apple, banana, and pear, through the weave of the basket, looking at the room. I rather liked the way it came out. I wish I still had that painting.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #34552
Gerry Skoyles
Gerry Skoyles began at the beginning.

Device: none
Here in my jungly Thai village I'm about to have a sup of rice whiskey - after all the sun's over the yardarm.
Gerry Skoyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #34553
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Skoyles View Post
Here in my jungly Thai village I'm about to have a sup of rice whiskey - after all the sun's over the yardarm.
Tea for me. Unbranded keemun tea in a great big mug! Where in Thailand is your jungly village? Were you in the Navy that still had yardarms?

Stitchawl
Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #34554
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Thinking about how taking art classes in secondary school and at the community centre actually prevented me from developing my own style of drawing and painting. My art teacher in secondary school always wanted us to make art with a meaning on A3 or bigger and be very detailed. The instructor at the community centre preferred a quick and loose style in A3 or bigger. They both preferred paint over other materials.

Lately I've been sketching a lot and, like before, I prefer A4 or even A5 sized paper. graphite (pencil or solid graphite) is still my preferred material. I used to be very precise and a perfectionist when it came to drawing but since then I've loosened up a bit (although it really depends on what I'm drawing). As a teenager I loved drawing portraits but I now find I'm mostly drawing landscapes and close ups of flowers.

It's a shame that some teachers want to force their style on their pupils. I think if I was taught by the other art teacher in school I might have developed my own style more and not have stopped drawing after secondary school.
I took an Introductory Painting with Acrylics course through the local college. I was very lucky with the instructor. She advocated process over product. Her idea was if you painted to create a "product" the results would not be as good as if you simply let go and paint. Don't think about it, just let it flow. Easier said than done. Even for her.

If I had had an instructor who was ridged in their teaching techniques I would have very quickly become discouraged and would probably never paint again.

I paint for myself as a way to express my feelings.

I'm glad you are finding your "voice" as an artist. Your style is unique to you. Celebrate it.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #34555
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
All of life is process, not product. Eating the doughnut is everything. Having eaten the doughnut is nothing and what remains is only the hole which is emptiness. :buddhadoggie:
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #34556
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Wanting to be at home instead of work so I could be watching The Avengers on Blu-ray. Come on 5:30!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #34557
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I took an art class years ago. At one point the teacher set up a wicker basket of fruit for us to paint. Having seen too many fruit baskets, I decided to paint it from a different perspective; as if I were a fruit inside the basket looking out between the apple, banana, and pear, through the weave of the basket, looking at the room. I rather liked the way it came out. I wish I still had that painting.

Stitchawl
I love that idea!
My instructor at the community centre would have loved it too, my secondary school teacher would have loved that idea if it came from one of the pupils in her clique but would have failed a pupil with that idea who she didn't like (I fell in the latter group).

Now I'm drooling over all the handy art accessories Dick Blick has and which can't be found in the Netherlands. I think I'm going to have to make an order soon for a couple of those things.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #34558
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Waiting for bloke to have his snooze, then we can go for a ride (I really don't feel like it). Then we can get back and I can have an early bath and get into my pyjamas and think about what's for dinner.

I could do some work, but my brain is not working properly. (a likely excuse!)
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #34559
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Waiting for bloke to have his snooze, then we can go for a ride (I really don't feel like it). Then we can get back and I can have an early bath and get into my pyjamas and think about what's for dinner.

I could do some work, but my brain is not working properly. (a likely excuse!)
It sounds as if you have slipped a gear, Sneaky... or gears not meshing quite correctly. Anything wrong that we can help with?

Stitchawl
Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #34560
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Breast feeding my boy. Me thinks the little guy has found a way to protest Mommy's return to work. He went from 8-12 hour sleeps to waking up every four hours at night. At midnight he barely ate. He has eaten for 15 minutes off me but has gone back to sleep. I need to get up at 5 for work so it is not a huge deal but I am hoping he adjusts soon.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?