Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
kimberhill
kimberhill began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Books I'm Reading problem after sync

Hi - I got a Kobo for Christmas and since then I have been using the Borders Desktop app to add new books to my library. My problem is that every time I do a sync the list of books I'M Reading goes haywire - those I am reading are no longer there and those I have finished reading are back on the list.

Am I doing something wrong?
kimberhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Which Kobo--original or WiFi? What desktop application version? Syncing was much improved with the new desktop, but I am not sure that Borders has it yet. Borders US or Borders AU, btw?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
kimberhill

I have the Wifi kobo but not using the wifi. Connecting to PC with USB cable to sync.

It was purchased from Borders US so I think the app that sits on the desktop links to Borders US.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
kimberhill

And the software is v1.7.5
Old 01-03-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Before you sync, are the books listed in the desktop application the same books that are in "I'm Reading" on your Kobo WiFi (except for new purchases)? Do you, by any chance, share your account with someone else in your family who also is syncing? We are a multiple Kobo household but only one of us uses sync because of the issues that happen when people do not have the exact same books on the go, or are reading the same book, but have different points bookmarked.

I would recommend that until Borders releases the new desktop application for you, that you use WiFi if you can. The sync is better than with the older desktop software. The new desktop software is much improved.

I'm betting that you know this already, but you can only sync to one bookstore--choose Borders or choose Kobobooks, and download ePUB files for the bookstore you don't sync with.

Last edited by taming; 01-03-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberhill View Post
Hi - I got a Kobo for Christmas and since then I have been using the Borders Desktop app to add new books to my library. My problem is that every time I do a sync the list of books I'M Reading goes haywire - those I am reading are no longer there and those I have finished reading are back on the list.

You are not alone. My "I'm Reading..." list sometimes goes crazy when I "sync" with the Borders/Kobo Desktop app as well. Same version as you and all that.

I e-mailed Kobo support for help but that was quite some time ago now and they have not responded. (That's customer support for ya, huh? Even Canada can't get it right, so India is not as bad as I thought).

For now, I try to avoid the Borders/Kobo Desktop like that plague it is. You can purchase the books in the Desktop application, don't sync, and then go sign in to your Borders.com account, visit your eBook library, and load the books through Adobe Digital Editions there.

Watch out though, occasionally a book purchased through the Desktop application and then downloaded through ADE will refuse to work. God's Problem by Bart Ehrman is my most recent example. When loaded through ADE, it just straight up won't work on my Kobo eReader. But synced through the Desktop application it is perfectly fine.

Argh!

We eBook readers live in a less than perfectly de luxe world.

Last edited by Anthem; 01-03-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I e-mailed Kobo support for help but that was quite some time ago now and they have not responded.
Seems that forum answers quicker and people solve their problems
almost at 100% rate. For such a kind of puzzle, there is taming's post
some time ago. Maybe she would write one sticky to include all those
examples for mixed source usage. At least, knowledge on the steps
to handle more than one is necessary.
Sometimes the best solution is not to sync at all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
You are not alone. My "I'm Reading..." list sometimes goes crazy when I "sync" with the Borders/Kobo Desktop app as well.
I'm confused, when you say the Borders/Kobo Desktop are you talking about the Borders desktop that syncs with the Borders website or the Kobo desktop that syncs with the kobobooks.com website?

Although Kobo and Borders are related (Borders owns 20% or so of Kobo), they are not the same company. They do not have "Purchased" or "I'm Reading" lists in common and the books bought at one of them do not show up on the desktop application for the other. Syncing with both can create havoc, really.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:

I'm having this same problem. I sideload via Calibre for the most part, but every now and again I've sync’d with the Kobo desktop app. Whenever I use the Kobo desktop app my "I'm Reading" section goes crazy. This most recent sync yielded me a re-opening of several books I've finished reading as well as the shelving of all of my newly purchased books that were sideloaded via Calibre.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

If you don't actually open your newly loaded books, they will slink off to "books" next time you sync or attach your USB to do something like work with Calibre (manage). You need to open the book to create a bookmark to keep it in "I'm Reading".

My experience has been that for folks who sideload using Calibre, or even ADE, syncing with the desktop application can add complications unless you do some careful prep work first. For example, if you started with a brand new account and sideloaded all of your purchases via ADE or Calibre, updating the desktop application and syncing or just syncing via the desktop application will result in putting that whole mess of books onto your reader in kepub format.

To avoid adding in duplicate titles, but in another format, you need to update your library via the desktop application, then rt click on the covers to remove them from the application. Sync away, and only the books that still appear on the shelves of your desktop application will be transferred to your Kobo (in I'm Reading).

Rt. clicking and removing books from the desktop application will remove the same kepub formatted books from your reader on your next sync--but you knew that already .
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
If you don't actually open your newly loaded books, they will slink off to "books" next time you sync or attach your USB to do something like work with Calibre (manage). You need to open the book to create a bookmark to keep it in "I'm Reading".

My experience has been that for folks who sideload using Calibre, or even ADE, syncing with the desktop application can add complications unless you do some careful prep work first. For example, if you started with a brand new account and sideloaded all of your purchases via ADE or Calibre, updating the desktop application and syncing or just syncing via the desktop application will result in putting that whole mess of books onto your reader in kepub format.

To avoid adding in duplicate titles, but in another format, you need to update your library via the desktop application, then rt click on the covers to remove them from the application. Sync away, and only the books that still appear on the shelves of your desktop application will be transferred to your Kobo (in I'm Reading).

Rt. clicking and removing books from the desktop application will remove the same kepub formatted books from your reader on your next sync--but you knew that already .
thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Sometimes the best solution is not to sync at all.
That has frequently been my solution as well (detailed in previous post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming
I'm confused, when you say the Borders/Kobo Desktop are you talking about the Borders desktop that syncs with the Borders website or the Kobo desktop that syncs with the kobobooks.com website?
I deal only with the Borders rebranded version of the software. Although the behavior may be the same either way you slice it.

Quote:
Although Kobo and Borders are related (Borders owns 20% or so of Kobo), they are not the same company.
This is true.

Quote:
They do not have "Purchased" or "I'm Reading" lists in common and the books bought at one of them do not show up on the desktop application for the other.
I have not attempted to cross-polinate the two, but I would assume you are correct.

Quote:
This has been my solution as well. As long as you open each newly loaded book after you transfer it (in whatever way) to your reader a bookmark is automatically placed and it will remain in the reading list. Which is convenient in this scenario. On the flip side, it is rather inconvenient when you just need to revisit a certain passage somewhere in the middle of an already finished book and it then becomes added to your reading list again until you flip that last page. Yay!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
This has been my solution as well. As long as you open each newly loaded book after you transfer it (in whatever way) to your reader a bookmark is automatically placed and it will remain in the reading list. Which is convenient in this scenario. On the flip side, it is rather inconvenient when you just need to revisit a certain passage somewhere in the middle of an already finished book and it then becomes added to your reading list again until you flip that last page. Yay!
This is something that really bothers me. I want a "go to page" very much! I'm a "re-reader" and often after completing a book I want to go back and revisit sections/chapters that I liked the most. The biggest problem I have with my Kobo is the lack of being able to flip to a certain section. (I have this problem more in library books than in purchased books)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
Anthem
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
This is something that really bothers me. I want a "go to page" very much! I'm a "re-reader" and often after completing a book I want to go back and revisit sections/chapters that I liked the most. The biggest problem I have with my Kobo is the lack of being able to flip to a certain section. (I have this problem more in library books than in purchased books)
Oh, I feel you. The "obviousness" of a "Go To Page..." is so, er, obvious! that the lack of the feature is, frankly, shocking. eBook reading devices should have a Goto page feature to remain legal. All eBook reading devices without said function should be branded as contraband and/or illegal!

Maybe Kobo will realize that we are all reading books on these devices?! Digital books. Come on Kobo, you know what those are. Get with the program.

Imagine if you had to advance through the end of any book you opened off of your bookshelf in the "real" world in order to put it back on the shelf. Argh! Even if we flipped through it (which the Kobo also has no digital equivalent of: no "slider" thingy like on the Sony Readers, et al.) it would still be inconvenient.

Maybe a way to "Mark as..." books in the future? Kinda like on an e-mail program on our computers. "Mark as Read". "Mark as Unread". That would be fun.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
ollymolly
ollymolly began at the beginning.

Quote:

Hi same happened to me. Just because I bought one book from Borders (Oz). It took out all my books I had downloaded from other sites and I couldn't read them any more. Fortunately I only got this for Christmas too and the other books I had downloaded onto Calibre. So I plugged in the device, went to the device in Calibre, removed the books from the device (NOT from Calibre) and then got Calibre to send them to the device again. Now all is restored and I will not sync with Borders (or anyone else) again. If I can't get a book to Calibre I will not download it.

(The problem is similar to that on iTunes if you let it update your music automatically rather than select the manual option. Except there didn't appear to BE a manual option on Borders.)
ollymolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, sync