Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
tommy still
Connoisseur
tommy still doesn't littertommy still doesn't litter

Device: iPhone and Sony PRS 505
Cybook page turning button problem ?

I am thinking of buying a Cybook, but have been put off by more than a few post's about the page turning buttons being either unresponsive or very hard to press. I have also read that Bookeen are aware of this and will try to provide a workaround or fix. Am I being paranoid, is it hard to press ? Not being able to actually handle one before I spend the cash is a little disconcerting. I would hate to spend £245 and find the page turn button becoming a real bugbear.
tommy still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy still View Post
I am thinking of buying a Cybook, but have been put off by more than a few post's about the page turning buttons being either unresponsive or very hard to press. I have also read that Bookeen are aware of this and will try to provide a workaround or fix. Am I being paranoid, is it hard to press ? Not being able to actually handle one before I spend the cash is a little disconcerting. I would hate to spend £245 and find the page turn button becoming a real bugbear.
I'm waiting for mine but I'm also very anxious to see how it works.

As far as I could read the "unresponsive button" issue results from that fact that people don't actually press the right button. The "hard to press" thing seems to be an isolated problem in some devices and people are reporting that although the button is not very easy to press it's not really an issue.

As soon as I get mine tomorrow I can tell you my personal experience.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Page turning.

Yes, compared to *some* buttons (Ahem! Cough! Cough! Kindle! Cough! Cough!) the page forward/backward buttons can be a tad unresponsive - by comparison. I *LIKE* the bit of stiffness to the buttons as I'm not accidentally paging-paging-paging-paging with every breath and jiggle of my hand when I'm holding it one-handed. However, *some* people seem to prefer a button which registers a depression whenever a butterfly in China flaps its wings. Go figure. Either you'll like it, tolerate it, love it or hate it. That's about the best I can offer you as you'll really have to see for yourself.

But yes, it is *NOT* as sensitive as a Playstation controller.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree with Derek - the button is firm, but not excessively so. I have absolutely no problem with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
tommy still
Connoisseur

Thanks all for the replies, I appreciate I would not want a button that would be too sensitive, accidental page turnings would be worse than no turn at all. A few people have posted about the slow or non existent response from Bookeen regarding problems with their device, thats another thing that worries me, the prospect of little or no backup in the event of a fault developing. Plus I realise the firmware has only reached ver 1.0 so hopefully some of the reported niggles can be fixed via that. One more question I have asked elsewhere but got no response to is that the firmware is updated via the SD card. Does that mean just downloading the new file to the card and plugging it in to do the update, or does the machine have to be connected to a computer. I have a Mac, will there be any firmware update problems with a non Windows computer ?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The buttons on the 505 are really nice. Not too still and not too loose and the setup is very easy to hold without accidentally pressing the wrong button (hint Kindle).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
tommy still
Connoisseur

Unfortunately I have already ruled out the sony, because of content, having to use windows and the difficulty in purchasing from the Connect store in the UK.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
seem to prefer a button which registers a depression whenever a butterfly in China flaps its wings.
Cute!

So far I haven't encountered any real problems with the button on my Cybook. Sometimes I need to press twice to make the page turn, but that's okay. After having used it for a while now, I also don't think I will get a sore thumb -- after all, when you're reading you only have to press that button every 1-2 minutes or so.
SandySchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySchwab View Post
...after all, when you're reading you only have to press that button every 1-2 minutes or so.
I GOTTA remember that one! Yep, for me 1-2 minutes between page turns is, like, an ETERNITY!

Derek
Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
The button is more or less ok and regardless i would totally recommend the Cybook it's a great machine.

I'm hoping that at some point they will release a software update so that I can attribute one of the other buttons as page turner (one of the ones on the left preferably!)

I'm not sure about anyone else but if i'm lying down i can't just hold the thing in one hand i have to use both when the page turn bit comes ..

not a huge thing tho even if i'm making it sound like a huge thing! lol ..

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I GOTTA remember that one! Yep, for me 1-2 minutes between page turns is, like, an ETERNITY!

Derek
Uhm. I haven't timed it or anything, you know. What I meant was: it's not a continuous pressure in contrast to what you do when you're writing a SMS.

Of course, you could always strengthen your fingers doing some finger exercises (is that what you call them in English???) for piano players.
SandySchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
After a week of extensive use I notice the page flipping problems actually becoming less. This can be the result of either getting used to the way to 'properly' press the button, or the button losing a bit of its stiffness after some use. Really not sure which of the two it is, maybe a combination of both.

To me, this is something I gladly live with, since I am a very happy Cybook user given all the good aspects of the device

At any rate it's by no means more cumbersome than wetting your fingers to flip a paper page.

Last edited by ashalan; 12-16-2007 at 02:41 PM.
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
The button is more or less ok and regardless i would totally recommend the Cybook it's a great machine.

I'm hoping that at some point they will release a software update so that I can attribute one of the other buttons as page turner (one of the ones on the left preferably!)

I'm not sure about anyone else but if i'm lying down i can't just hold the thing in one hand i have to use both when the page turn bit comes ..

not a huge thing tho even if i'm making it sound like a huge thing! lol ..

Loopy
I agree! However, that's mostly because the 'notch' at the bottom (My rubber cover popped out and fell off.) digs into my hand over long periods of time. I've kind of developed a 'grip' - similar in approach to my holding my dSLR - where the thumb is positioned near the paging control, the index finger rides up along the right side of the front edge, the next two fingers wrap around the back and the little finger forms a 'rest' along the bottom... Yes, I still have the rather 'sharp' corners of the plug compartment digging into my hand, but I'm beginning to develop a callus.

I wonder... If I start taking Human Growth Hormone, will my callus develop faster and larger? (I now envision myself with Mr. Hyde - as we saw in the movie "League of Extraordinary Gentlement" - hands.)

Derek
Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #14
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
After about 6 weeks my button is worn in nice. I honestly wouldn't think of it at all except for the posts that I see here (and I don't take growth hormones ). I'm still really happy with it. Best purchase I've made in a long time.

I too am a little concerned with the reports that I've seen about the lack of responsiveness from Bookeen on support questions but hopefully that will improve.

On your concerns about not being able to try it out... if the availability of the Cybook Gen3 stays the way it is then worst case if you don't like it you'll probably be able to sell it used for close to what you paid for it. In my opinion you'll like it though.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
tommy still
Connoisseur

Thanks all for the help, I think my next purchase will be a Cybook Gen 3. But having just bought myself an Apple iPhone my wife is trying to persuade me to wait till March when she can buy it for my birthday. Not a bad idea, maybe another firmware revision will have been issued by then.