Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Timber
Enthusiast
Timber began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Macbook Pro, Kindle
[Old Thread] Calibre Backup and Restore

Replacing my machine, and if my old hard drive is still accessible, I want to copy my old library off of it.

What files do I need to copy to my new machine so that it has my old Calibre library on it.

Also, if you know, I need to do exactly the same thing to move my Sony Reader library over to the new machine as well.

Any ideas?
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
library1.db and calibre2.ini
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Timber
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
library1.db and calibre2.ini
You're the best Kovid thanks a bunch

I also have some books that are only in the Sony Reader software, not Calibre. Do you have any idea what files I need to move over to the new machine from there?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
rtmichael
rtmichael began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/7100i
I know where library1.db is located but I can't find calibre2.ini
rtmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre2.ini will exist only if you have some custom settings. It isn't important. At worst you will have to re configure calibre
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
rtmichael
rtmichael began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/7100i
Thanks Kovid! I just started using Calibre today. It's great!!
rtmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Just to expand a little, if I took the library1.db on my WinXP install and took it to my MacOSX install, would it still work? Or is the library1.db specific to the platform that it is created on?
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As far as i know it should work.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

I gave it a go and it seems to have worked with no problems at all that I can see. I'm guessing I could probably put the library1.db on a network share and use it across several different computers and platforms without any trouble.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf View Post
I gave it a go and it seems to have worked with no problems at all that I can see. I'm guessing I could probably put the library1.db on a network share and use it across several different computers and platforms without any trouble.
Simultaneous access will cause problems, I think.

Quote:
if I took the library1.db on my WinXP install and took it to my MacOSX install
Kovid, what about relative file paths?

Last edited by acidzebra; 07-27-2008 at 03:42 PM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

File paths? library1.db doesn't contain any file paths. If you mean the path to library1.db itself, relative to what?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #12
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EDIT: ignore this post - got confused

Well, how does it know where the ebooks are? From my linux install, my ebooks are in /mnt/ebooks. In windows; G:\

Doesn't it need to know at least where the books are in order to convert/load them?

Last edited by acidzebra; 07-28-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
SeaWolf
Connoisseur

The book files are copied into the database itself. Move the db, move the books with it.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 AM   #14
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Wow. Well, that explains why my library1.db file has gotten so huge

thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #15
Timber
Enthusiast

I was trying to pass my collection to my wife's machine, but I can't seem to get it to recognize my library1.db file. It just comes up on hers as an empty database.

What is the default path under XP for where Calibre looks for where library1.db? I want to make sure I'm putting it in the right place.