Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
ChromeOS will be a proprietary OS.

Google now sees this as an advantage.

In the old days we called Apps, programs, and you could write a small program, maybe a commercial product, or a shareware or an open system, to go with MS Windows. The same thing holds today.

My own experience with Apps is that there are so many that they are confusing, and I don't find all the reviews and the picking of top apps all that helpful.

ChromeOS on a phone or a tablet might straighten things out, and if you still want Android, well that will be available as well. Heck if you got the money, someone will provide what you want.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes... I'm more than old enough to remember "programs." Even helped write some. But I'm also still young enough (mentally) to adapt to the new vernacular. And quite simply: nobody puts "programs" on mobile devices anymore. It's not really the end of the world.

So you've told us why YOU might embrace ChromeOS mobile devices. Now tell us why will the world will think as you do.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And quite simply: nobody puts "programs" on mobile devices anymore.
Well, at least not since Apple decided that "App Store" was better marketspeak than "Software Mart".
Spoiler:
"There's an App for that"
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like the idea of ChromeOS. I think it's pretty smart and forward thinking.

It's not for me - yet. But I am watching it with interest.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes... I'm more than old enough to remember "programs." Even helped write some. But I'm also still young enough (mentally) to adapt to the new vernacular. And quite simply: nobody puts "programs" on mobile devices anymore. It's not really the end of the world.

So you've told us why YOU might embrace ChromeOS mobile devices. Now tell us why will the world will think as you do.
"new vernacular?" yes and that is all it is. Just a new labeling.

But ChromeOS will nor just have new labeling it will have the advantage right off of NO Microsoft and less chance of unwanted programs: viruses, mal-ware, ad-ware and the like. Other advantages are less cost, and less time spent updating and arguing with MS.

True, there are things that bother me about a Chromebook. Not being able to print directly to a printer. (Why can't the print driver be in the cloud? Why must it reside in a legacy computer or in a special "cloud" printer?) Heck the C7 has a 320GB disk. Well I guess that comes under the same umbrella of Google wanting to live in the cloud though not always completely! Example: the conflicts of no removable memory in the Nexus.

As to your question:

Quote:
Who says they will?
"Different bites for different likes"
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #21
Joseph R
Zealot
Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Well, at least not since Apple decided that "App Store" was better marketspeak than "Software Mart".
Spoiler:
"There's an App for that"
To his defense, Jobs as been using the term app, short for applications WAY before the Iphone.

Here is a video of him at WWDC in 1997, using the term "app":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-tKLISfPE

As far as the OP goes, I go with the trend here and say that it would be ridiculous for Google to try to replace Android with Chrome OS for mobile devices; there will be too much resistance from carriers, app developers and users to make it possible. Google has already spent BILLIONS of dollars developing Android and entered into complicated agreements with OEM concerning the platform that Google does nto have that freedom to imposing Chrome OS on them.

Last edited by Joseph R; 06-07-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #22
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This post has inspired me to start learning how to code Chrome "apps".
Old 06-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #23
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph R View Post
To his defense, Jobs as been using the term app, short for applications WAY before the Iphone.

Here is a video of him at WWDC in 1997, using the term "app":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-tKLISfPE

As far as the OP goes, I go with the trend here and say that it would be ridiculous for Google to try to replace Android with Chrome OS for mobile devices; there will be too much resistance from carriers, app developers and users to make it possible. Google has already spent BILLIONS of dollars developing Android and entered into complicated agreements with OEM concerning the platform that Google does nto have that freedom to imposing Chrome OS on them.
Google will be Google.
it does as Google wants.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #24
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
This post has inspired me to start learning how to code Chrome "apps".
wise miner edges his tools
Old 06-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
But ChromeOS will nor just have new labeling it will have the advantage right off of NO Microsoft
Not an advantage if, like me, you rely on Windows-specific programs. That's why devices like the Surface Pro interest me: portability, with the ability to run the program I need to use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #26
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not an advantage if, like me, you rely on Windows-specific programs. That's why devices like the Surface Pro interest me: portability, with the ability to run the program I need to use.
Definitely with you on that one.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #27
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Okay, color me confused. The largest issue with Android has been the dearth of quality apps compared with IOS. Even just a hint from Google that they may end Android would have a chilling effect on developers thinking about making new applications for Android devices. Why shoot yourself in the foot?

I have both ecosystems in my house, and while there are many apps I enjoy on IOS that are also on Android, I have none that are on Android but not IOS...
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #28
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
your answer logical but no relation to thread topic
not related to replacement of Android

Last edited by forsooth; 06-08-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #29
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
But ChromeOS . . . will have the advantage right off of NO Microsoft and less chance of unwanted programs: viruses, mal-ware, ad-ware and the like.
Perhaps the Chrome user takes fewer chances of acquiring malware and adware, but only at first -- in proportion to the ubiquity and popularity of the OS.

Early on, users of Android learned not to download every free skin or program.

Any OS which becomes massively popular will have to deal with the same issues of malware and viruses. I'm less concerned with choosing the least plagued OS than the best protected.

Apple users have often asserted their platform is safe, but malware and viruses still exist, and in the days before OSX (c-r-e-a-k!), you couldn't print out a word document from a floppy disc at Kinko's without bringing home a virtual venereal disease.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #30
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
I have both ecosystems in my house...
Ecosystem. Noun. Pity ecosystem, a case of what happens when good words fall in with a bad crowd. Rebecca Greenfield explains, "This reasonable science-related word has been co-opted by the tech writing community, which has senselessly ravaged it. The true meaning of the term translates to a 'biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment.' As in, the place where living things live together. To tech writers, however, ecosystem involves a lot of non-living things that just happen to share characteristics. The Android ecosystem, the app ecosystem, the tablet ecosystem, the digital ecosystem, the start-up ecosystem — it's not like at the end of the day all the little gadgets go home to their gadget neighborhoods and hang out."
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote