Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
What is the difference: content server v wireless device connection

What is the difference between setting calibre up as a content server v. the wireless device connection? I know the WDC is for the Calibre Companion (which, by the way, works a treat for me), but when and why would I want to set it up as a content server?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
What is the difference between setting calibre up as a content server v. the wireless device connection? I know the WDC is for the Calibre Companion (which, by the way, works a treat for me), but when and why would I want to set it up as a content server?
Content server is for device (browser) initiated connections.

Any device with a Web browser (and a network connection) can use the content server to PULL files to the device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does that mean that I can access my calibre library via web browser? If my husband had the ip address for the content serve while he was at work, he could access the library?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does that mean that I can access my calibre library via web browser? If my husband had the ip address for the content serve while he was at work, he could access the library?
Not quite, but yes with a bit more (Network) setup.

Work <--> The Internet <-->Your Router <-->The Content Server
(there is also a router at the work end, but nothing need to be done in most cases)

Your router has a (temporary) IP . That is the IP (current assignment) the outside world would use. A Static IP or a service like DynDNS.org is needed for a long time solution. For a 1-shot, you just discover your current IP and tell it to the user. http://www.ipchicken.com/ is a great page to find out what it is at for the moment .

Your router has to be configured to Port forward requests for a specific port
to the specified IP:port (of the content server). The defaults are Block all incoming requests.

The Keyword you need search for to set your router model : "Port forwarding"

The content server looks the same to the remote user as it would, if they plugged into your home network.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard

ok, this is getting way beyond my technical capacity. I'm going to forward this to my husband, who can maybe explain it to me.

Basically, it sounds like it's not something I'll ever need, so i don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for trying, though.
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
ok, this is getting way beyond my technical capacity. I'm going to forward this to my husband, who can maybe explain it to me.

Basically, it sounds like it's not something I'll ever need, so i don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for trying, though.
Do you need outside world access to your books?

You can access the content server (if running ) from any device that has access to your internal (LAN) network by using the (typical) 192.168.x.y address assigned to your PC. (the 127.0.0.1 AKA 'Localhost' is only INSIDE your pc's box)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I don't usually need outside access, because I work at home, but when/if I get an outside position, it might be useful. More, it might be useful to my husband.

But he's the techy one in the family (my SME: Subject Matter Expert) and I'll get him to both explain the IP addresses and get him to set it up for me.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
BeccasHusband
BeccasHusband began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Smile Server Setup

Work, work, work.......
BeccasHusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

<g> We may not *need* to do this, but the technical challenge makes it sound like fun.