Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Cat people?

It seems quite obvious to me that MobileRead is a secret haven for a lot of catfriendly users.

Now I have a theory about that. Could it be that those kittens really are an alien race of superintelligent beings fond of reading, thus stealing the secrets of our infinite wisdom?

So they incite their humans to get eReaders and then reading on them secretly in the still of the night (ya know, those cats REALLY do have an acute vision, especially in the dark). Do we have a choice or do our cats even influence the choice of our books? Oh, the consequences just fry my small brain!

What do those cats plan? Where is all that leading to? Will we have to suffer the REIGN OF THE CATS pretty soon? Will they be coming out of their hiding and will we have an open worldwide war between our felines and that other alien race, the mice?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmmm, is that why our big one always wants to get into the bedroom? Because that's where I keep my PDA at night. And when he can't get in, he'll go upstairs, where all the books are...

The other cat is locked up in the spare bedroom at night, to keep him out of mischief (and keep us asleep), there are no books in there...

Our neighbour said all the cats on our end of the village (or hamlet might be a better word, even though that might be a bit bigger too) will converge at the village meeting place...

You're scaring me!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
And we already have scientific evidence, that cats are devious beasts:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50871
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
All that your cats have learned from reading your books is of little use when a dog starts chasing them! And when it comes to brains among domestic animals, parrots are the clear winners. African greys have the intelligence of a 5 year-old child. Far ahead of some of those pbook publishers who refuse to publish ebooks, I might add.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-14-2009 at 08:47 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
All that your cats have learned from reading your books is of little use when a dog starts chasing them! And when it comes to brains among domestic animals, parrots are the clear winners. African greys have the intelligence of a 5 year-old child. Far ahead some of those pbook publishers who refuse to publish ebooks, I might add.
Even the ants that walk into those poisenous ant boxes have more brains...

And one of our cats won't be chased by dogs. He'll turn around and face the dog head on...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Awwww.... So cute! We had 2 yellow kitties like that playing in our tomato garden the other day. I hope they stick around and become mousers and crawdad catchers!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Several of my cats are seriously intelligent. Kevin, who figured out how to open the pantry cabinet and open the pop-top cat food cans; Brian, who even though he was brain damaged, figured out how to "bury" a puddle of pee in his kennel (I was cleaning his litterbox at the time). I've got a few that can turn the lights on and off .... there are times I can see then deep on thought over solving some kitty problem, and then they'll test an idea, and if it works ... oh boy!!

And, brave .... oh man .... they've faced down rattlesnakes that have gotten in the house. There's a saying: "When faced with a threat, a human child will turn to find a protector, a puppy will roll over in submission, but a kitten will face the threat and fight back in furry defiance."
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Several of my cats are seriously intelligent. Kevin, who figured out how to open the pantry cabinet and open the pop-top cat food cans; Brian, who even though he was brain damaged, figured out how to "bury" a puddle of pee in his kennel (I was cleaning his litterbox at the time). I've got a few that can turn the lights on and off .... there are times I can see then deep on thought over solving some kitty problem, and then they'll test an idea, and if it works ... oh boy!!

And, brave .... oh man .... they've faced down rattlesnakes that have gotten in the house. There's a saying: "When faced with a threat, a human child will turn to find a protector, a puppy will roll over in submission, but a kitten will face the threat and fight back in furry defiance."
That reminds me of the scene in whichever Laura Ingalls Wilder book it was - (I think Little House on the Prairie) - where they finally get a kitten because the mice are driving them out of the house and when it's still only a baby it fights and kills a mouse.

Ok, that qualifies for longest runon sentence of the day. Back to my caffeine...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Ah, I think cats are more smart then they let appear, you know. My cat, for example, used to lay down right on my keyboard when i tried to work. Worked every time!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ha, cats and computers ! the little bug, for some reason, is fascinated by the cd tray on my tower. every time i open it she comes running and she'll sit and stare at it for hours if i keep opening / closing it. sometimes i open and close it a few extra times just for her. she's smart enough to have figured out that the opening / closing is a result of touching the button on the front, so if she's nearby and i start pointing at the button she gets very excited. she wishes she could open it herself but luckily it's out of her reach (or we'd never have any peace, and the thing would probably end up broken ). she has also figured out that i open it up whenever i have one of those odd silver disk thingies in my hand. so whenever she sees me with a cd, or even if i start looking through the cds still in the paper sleeves of my archives (she knows what is inside those !), she begins dancing around and meowing in anticipation !

now, why she likes the cd try so much, this i cannot say. she is smart, but also really weird.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Leave the tray open for a while and see what she does with it. She may have a plan, but you keep closing it before she can finish what she's doing.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually she seems to like it most when it's actually moving, whichever direction it's going in. she probably does have a plan, but i'm not sure i want her to implement it... we don't seem to share many of the same priorities.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Yesterday evening as it started to go dark, the neighbour's dog was on my property barking like mad at something in the cedar hedge. I left the reader on the coffee table and got out to investigate. The dog was furiously trying to get inside the hedge. As it heard me it retreated barking in frustration. Immediately I thought of some animal in there. As best as I could see, there was a tiny black kitten in there. But the dog went around the hedge and tried to catch it from the other side, and then pshhhht! it got sprayed in the face and ran off squealing. That was no cat, it was a skunk kitten! It was so small that when it walked it wobbled on its feet just like a kitten and it had no trace of white on its blackfur.
Then it saw me with my face in the hedge... but I knew a skunk can't do more than 2 sprays in the same day and that it takes them at least 24 hours to recharge the gland and that being so small there were fewer chances of doing it again so I got on my knees and tried to tame it. That kitten was so unnerved by the dog that it wouldn't calm down. It started to charge me just like a young ram. Sooo cute!
It bent its tiny head down and wobbled forward, stopped, wobbled back and started over again. But that stupid dog came over again with an angry bark that I did not like so I started after it until it left. When I came back the kitten skunk had left.

When I met my wife, her sister had an operated skunk. It's a clever little animal and quite sociable too, until it reaches sexual maturity. It goes nuts just like young boys...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
When I met my wife, her sister had an operated skunk. It's a clever little animal and quite sociable too, until it reaches sexual maturity. It goes nuts just like young boys...

When I was a child my father brought home a young female skunk that had been de-fumed.

It was very clean, very smart, very sociable and very cute.

It just took awhile to change its nocturnal habits so that she'd sleep at night like the rest of the family.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote