Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're getting your units mixed up again, Don .

The "Fat Mac" had 512 kilobytes of RAM. It was an upgrade to the original Mac which had 128k.

A Mac with 128MB of RAM back in the '80s would indeed have been something to boast about .

Oops! You're right. I purchased the "Fat Mac" which had 512 K. of RAM. With that now corrected (Thanks, Harry! ), the machine I owned was, indeed, the one that came after the 128 k. RAM version.

I remember that I was the envy of everyone else there for awhile, as the Mac didn't have this arcane user inferface that CP/M and TRS-DOS (Tandy/Radio Shack) had. I can't remember if MS-DOS had yet to come out at that time.

I bought all this for $2,800 and I paid an extra $100 for the case and $50 more for a box of 10 blank disks. The whole shebang was no less transportable than the Kaypro, but it was "way cooler," as the adolescents in their teens and early 20s today would say.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Bob did quote an announcement from someone who thinks data plans have replaced Avantgo type readers. That may be true of some people but not all. Even then the network is not accessible every where, such as a previous poster said, the underground. So in that sense they are indeed inferior.

However, quite bluntly, most RSS feeds suck and they never lived up to their expectations. Very few of them carry full articles, most just listing a sentence or two. Besides, Avantgo could read RSS feeds too.
Many RSS feeds do not carry full articles because the authors of the blogs who create the feeds set up their feed to only display partial articles, so that readers are forced to go to the website to read the entire article. Don't blame the RSS feed software, blame the author who thinks they will generate more income for their website if they force readers to go the website.

I have set up my blogs so that the full article is included in the RSS feed, although pictures don't always display very well. I also will not stay subscribed to a feed that only provides partial articles.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I also will not stay subscribed to a feed that only provides partial articles.
Amen to that! This is particularly frustrating with many science blogs.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote