Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
The biggest threat to publishing isn’t Amazon; it’s Angry Birds

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/the-big...-in-libraries/

Quote:
Publishing, whether it is traditional publishers, self publishers, digital first publishers, needs to invest in early reading for two reasons. First, early readers become paying adult readers. Second, early readers become adept adult writers. Both readers and writers are needed for a healthy publishing ecosystem and investment in fostering the love of reading and writing is vital. There is no better place to do this than by investing in libraries.
I've read this argument in other places, too - Jane makes a good case that library borrowing of books leads to sales. apparently Amazon has found this to be true with their Kindle Owner's Lending Library as well.

As anectdata, I've noticed this in my own kids, too - by preference they'll play video games over reading (although at least during the school year, my son read more on his kindle in 4 months than he had all the previous pre-kindle year)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
So Games on phones are going to destroy serious reading as an activity in the exact same way baseball, comic books, movies, radio, television, roleplaying games, and pokemon were going to destroy reading?

By making sure children chose something else?

Call me jaded, but I think that changing the name of the bugaboo does not make the concept true. There never were any halcyon days when everyone read - so they aren't over now.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I disagree with the headline, but the OP article is better.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't even see how the headline and the article are connected. Videogames are no more danger to reading than any other hobby under the sun.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Ummmm..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiart View Post
I don't even see how the headline and the article are connected. Videogames are no more danger to reading than any other hobby under the sun.
Well, it does rather depend on the hobby, and how seriously you take it ...........

Bit tricky rock climbing with a book in your hand ...........

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Home video games first started becoming popular when I was about ten years old. I had an original Atari, with a boatload of games. I played them quite a bit, but I enjoyed reading as much then as I do now.

And I like Angry Birds, too.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/the-big...-in-libraries/
As anectdata, I've noticed this in my own kids, too - by preference they'll play video games over reading (although at least during the school year, my son read more on his kindle in 4 months than he had all the previous pre-kindle year)
Our daughter (11 yrs) has at her disposal a PS3 and a Nintendo DSi with plenty of games and additionally she can use my wife's iPad. What does she use most? Her Cybook Opus, voraciously reading ebooks. She reads plenty of pbooks as well. I for one can not confirm your finding.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Well in some ways. I'm both a reader and a gamer and gaming can seriously cut into my reading time (I'm not talking about the Angry Birds type of game but those like Civilization and Oblivion where a single game can take months to finish even playing hours a day).

I also agree that encouraging early reading is in the interest of publishers. Reading is a skill that the more you do it the easier it becomes and the easier it becomes the more enjoyable you will find it so you'll do it even more. It is also in their interest if children develop a habit of daily reading. A child that reads will become an adult who reads and buys books.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Quote:
The article mentioned the rise in tablet sales, and apparently when you have a tablet, you find yourself doing things other than reading, like playing Angry Birds. Then it goes on to mention the lack of ebook lending in libraries and how a large number of library users will actually purchase books that they first read and loved at the library. With people already reading less, the BPHs are not growing their market like Nike does.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Well in some ways. I'm both a reader and a gamer and gaming can seriously cut into my reading time (I'm not talking about the Angry Birds type of game but those like Civilization and Oblivion where a single game can take months to finish even playing hours a day).
Same here (2 200+hour saves playing different styles in Oblivion, over 300 hours sunk into Fallout 3 & New Vegas, and just started losing sleep over Skyrim).

I have noticed, though, that I have actually done a bit more reading when playing those games. I'll seek out fanfic set in those universes and will read those when not playing. It's fun stuff.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
I used to be a very avid gamer. The best CRPGs were books* back in the day, great storytelling, interesting characters, situations that challenged you to think. Think Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate series, Fallout 1 and 2, etc...

Now its just blow stuff up and pump up yer stats. Which is fun once in a while but nowhere near as engrossing. Maybe I is just getting old.

*Okay, they really weren't but I'm trying to make a point here about the sad decline of in depth RPGs. The point is, there used to be some level of literary value in these games. And after a long gaming session, picking up a good fantasy novel before bedtime was the icing on the cake, a cherry on the ice-cream sundae of imaginary worlds.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It's not hard to imagine that someone once wrote an article about kids playing hoop and stick being a threat to reading.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
Jazzy_Jeffaz
Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I agree especially when you have to read things in a lot of the games.
Jazzy_Jeffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #14
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I've lobbied PBS to set aside time from 7:00pm to 9:00pm to have celebrities read to children with animated captioning. Bedtime stories for kids without literate parents would help overcome one of the major onstacles to early reading. I think this would be a good way to grow the market for literature. Maybe publishers would be willing to sponsor paid programming that does this.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #15
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I've lobbied PBS to set aside time from 7:00pm to 9:00pm to have celebrities read to children with animated captioning. Bedtime stories for kids without literate parents would help overcome one of the major onstacles to early reading. I think this would be a good way to grow the market for literature. Maybe publishers would be willing to sponsor paid programming that does this.
Good idea. Is there a petition we can sign?
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote