Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #46
AndrewMT
AndrewMT began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
All the major gadget blogs (i.e. Engadget, Gizmodo, etc) reported that the PRS-700 would see a firmware release shortly after the release of the 300 and 600.

http://gizmodo.com/5330083/sonys-poc...-wireless-next

Did Sony give them this information?

Everyone, please email feedback@ebookstore.sony.com and put some pressure on them. I have.
AndrewMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 AM   #47
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I emailed them. and if the giz said it. they either made it up, IE speculated, or they heard it casually mentioned somewhere. unless they give a source, then I would say it was speculation.

but its ridiculous that we don't have it yet
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #48
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
With the hacked firmware for the 600, some of those clever hackers might be able to port the thing over to the 700, since they are identical hardware-wise?
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #49
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Dump of PSR600 is working on PRS700: http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #50
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
I'm sure sorry folks think the 700 is a failure, I love mine, because of the light, I'm always reading and often in dark or dim places and the built-in light is great to my mind. Perhaps compared to a 505 the screen is not as clear, but compared to my old non-eink device it is fabulous.
What I yearn for is upgrades to the stinky software - what is with those interminable syncs, and why can't they join the rest of the world allowing a sort by author LAST NAME then first name?
And I'm still dreaming of some way to get my 100+ rocket ebooks into ANY format I can read on the Sony. HATE DRM! HATE device-specific formats! Its like, if you sell your house and "upgrade" to a better model, and so you have to buy all your treebooks again because the ones you had can only be read in the house you lived in when you bought them. I think I'd just fall down and worship at the feet of someone who could hack that.

Oh, sorry, soapbox, need to go read for awhile and calm down...

And I'm still dreaming of some way to get my 100+ ebookwise books into ANY format I can read on the Sony. HATE DRM! HATE device-specific formats! Its like, if you sell your house and "upgrade" to a better model, and so you have to buy all your treebooks again because the ones you had can only be read in the house you lived in when you bought them.

Last edited by rleguillow; 10-23-2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: further thoughts added
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #51
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
I'm sure sorry folks think the 700 is a failure, I love mine, because of the light, I'm always reading and often in dark or dim places and the built-in light is great to my mind.
Agreed. If I could marry my 700, I would. I love it THAT much!

Quote:
And I'm still dreaming of some way to get my 100+ rocket ebooks into ANY format I can read on the Sony. HATE DRM! HATE device-specific formats! Its like, if you sell your house and "upgrade" to a better model, and so you have to buy all your treebooks again because the ones you had can only be read in the house you lived in when you bought them. I think I'd just fall down and worship at the feet of someone who could hack that.

Oh, sorry, soapbox, need to go read for awhile and calm down...

And I'm still dreaming of some way to get my 100+ ebookwise books into ANY format I can read on the Sony. HATE DRM! HATE device-specific formats! ....

You can say that again!

Oh, wait. You did.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #52
Ramanian
Ramanian began at the beginning.

Have you heard anything new regarding the new firmware for sony prs700. I refuse to believe that they won´t update the ebook reader with a dictionary support. If they update will it be posted here or does Sony have a page where I can check on a regular basis?
Ramanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #53
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Green Light for S6!

Once again. No FIRMWARE for PRS700. The word is, Sony has discontinued
(abandoned) the 7, I suggest for marketing purposes. Functionality of the 600
would be nice on the 700, but that might not be in the best interest for sony
since the 600 went into production. Eitherway, I'm sure someone
will port something functional one day soon but then again, it may never
happen.

I caved and bought the 600. I like the handwriting, and word lookup is nice too.
but I thought that after I barely read at night, and questionable battery life,
I would take the plunge again. I did not vote with my dollars this time, I just
think this reader is what I originally wanted and to wait for a 7 firmware that
may not come is just not good for my needs at the moment.

Of course I could have waited for the mac tablet/reader, but that would
cost 5 times more...
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 AM   #54
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Dump of PSR600 is working on PRS700: http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
So am I understanding this? They have taken a 700 and downloaded the 600's firmware and it is working?
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #55
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

look again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
So am I understanding this? They have taken a 700 and downloaded the 600's firmware and it is working?
It's only a dump not a full flash. If u look closly it's not a perfect translation.Of course, someone may figure it out, but until Sony puts out an official image Its home cooked hackory.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #56
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
Guy took out not working nand flash from 700, soldered in another nand flash where he put dump from 600, then adjusted cramshell and now he has 700 working as 600 but with lighting. If somebody can send them a dump from 700 - they will be able to make flasher without soldering anything.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #57
Server
Anti-Narcissist

not quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
...and now he has 700 working as 600....
"Working" as in turned upside down... and a few other anomalies...

(image via the-ebook.org)
Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #58
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
"Working" as in turned upside down... and a few other anomalies...
As I was corrected by porkupan on the thread I started on this, I shall correct you

The "upsidedowness" is fixed a couple of posts below.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #59
Ramanian

I contacted sony support and asked them about the firmware upgrade and this is their answer.

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry to inform you that currently, there is no firmware update available for PRS-700. However, please bookmark the following webpage and check periodically for any future updates:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mo....pl?mdl=PRS700

Thank you for your time.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #60
Ramanian

Hi all,
Is there any way of pressing Sony to make this firmware upgrade as it seem to me that they are going to leave us PRS-700 owners out in the cold and concentrating on newer models? I am not happy with this as I bought mine this summer and would realy like to get this dictionary support and not buy a new model.