Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Post This Week's Books

This is my 400th. post and I wanted to mark the occasion by making it a thread.

We should make this thread a regular one. I believe that it would enrich our small community of passionate readers, by suggesting to others, books they might not have thought about or shedding light over a prejudice one could have had over the content of the works. This is not to impose anything. We are a diverse people from different countries, cultures and faiths, some of which reach deeply in our hearts. I welcome what touches others because, human, we are alike in basic need.

The concept is simple; just say what you are now reading, if you like it, if it's e or p and maybe where you found it, or what language you read it in. If I can find a translation I might try it…so could others.

I'll start with mine.

Last two weeks I read the four books, in paper, of the "Hyperion" series by Dan Simmons.
This Scifi saga starts in a fire of information totally alien to what we are accustomed to. Someone pointed out that it felt disagreeably "acid" written. I agree for the first hundred pages. It also had way too much blood for my taste. Then it falls in a quieter mode, more human for the next three books. The story is well crafted towards keeping the reader's curiosity trapped until he reads all of it. I liked it as being very entertaining. BTW I read it in french but I'm not sure I should have done so because there are numerous poetry excerpts by Keats, that can not be adequately translated .

This week and the next:

I've started the paper "Cyteen" saga in english by C. J. Cherryh. This is also Scifi. I'm halfway in the first book and I'm a little disappointed. By the past I read the complete eight book "Foreigner" saga by her and I was thrilled by it. This time I'm not hooked yet. The story is slow to start and has a way too complicated setup that demands extreme amounts of concentration. I just hate to go back and reread a chapter for a name I failed to memorize correctly. Then in some situations like the invention of the characters, it feels like "déjà vu". I keep pushing myself to remember that Cyteen was written before Foreigner. And then the worst for me is that the "futurology" is totally off. Why do humans in three hundred years need coffee? I'm not giving up on it yet. I'm sure she'll surprise and keep me reading…

Next in queue:

"Absolution Gap" by Alastair Reynolds, in paper and english. Looking forward to it.

Have a nice read!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Now reading The Perfect Thing by Steven Levy. Very interesting, despite the silly errors in the text.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Revisiting the HHG trilogy in 5 parts for me, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe at the moment. It's e, and from Connect. It seems to be a slightly different version than the one I grew up with, but that's apparently common for Adams to have done.

I think the Star Wars Swarm War triliogy is probably next, but I have some Elizabeth Moon lined up too. All e, all from Connect.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I've never read through the entire HHGTG series. I have started the first one a few times, but never finished it. I guess it doesn't appeal to me somehow.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I am reading the Rifters first book. WoW! WOO-HOW! All I can say is WOW!
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
e:
Four-Day Planet by H. Beam Piper. So far, good sci-fi/adventure. Danger and intrigue on an alien planet.
Free For All by Peter Wayner. About Linux and the open source movement. So far, pretty good.
The Return by H. Beam Piper and John J. McGuire. Post-apocalyptic earth. Just started this one. So far it's interesting.
Uller Uprising by H. Beam Piper, John D. Clark and John F. Carr. Alien revolts on an alien planet. Just started it. Hasn't caught my fancy yet.

p:
Drinking Midnight Wine by Simon R. Green. Not as fun as some of his other works, but still enjoyable.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I just read:
Inherit the Stars - James P. Hogan: A really nice story and quite entertaining.
Moving Mars - Greg Bear: A more political SF story. Interesting characters and very different from what i expected.
Eon - Greg Bear: This is a story of a vivid imagination. It really caught me. I really like the way Mr. Bear thinks.

I also read Darwins Children and Darwins Radio. I guess i do like the works of Mr. Bear. Abd a really weird story is Bloodmusic.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
diomark
diomark began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-500
Reading Michael Connoly's The Lincoln Lawyer

http://www.metacritic.com/books/auth.../lincolnlawyer
-mark
diomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I have just finished Skin Tight by Carl Hiaasen which is so funny.

Other books recently read are:

Carl Hiaasen - Skinny Dip
Rob Grant - Incompetence
Tim Green - Exact Revenge

I have a reading list as long as my arm but the next one to read is Patricia Highsmith - The Talented Mr Ripley.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 AM   #9
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I just finished Cameron Dean's Passionate Thirst which I believe is a Buffy derivative (not sure since I never watched Buffy). Have all you fantasy lovers read Patricia Brigg's Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood Duology. This is a great fantasy series and available in ebook format. (note, while I love romances, this is not a romance).
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
I just finished Cameron Dean's Passionate Thirst which I believe is a Buffy derivative (not sure since I never watched Buffy). Have all you fantasy lovers read Patricia Brigg's Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood Duology. This is a great fantasy series and available in ebook format. (note, while I love romances, this is not a romance).
This is surprising to me Da_jane. Blood romance novels? Truly?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Blood romance novel? I am not sure what you are asking? Are there romance novels featuring blood and gore? Yes, paranormal is HOT in the romance market these days. So hot that perennial best seller Nora Roberts (who has sold more books than only one author) recently wrote a trilogy focusing around paranormal aspects. There are some fairly dark romances or at least ones marketed as romances: Jennifer Armintrout's The Turning published by Harlequin was a scary, gory book featuring vampires that are very very bad. (and not in good way but the "I'll rip your heart out and eat it" way).

JR Ward's popular BlackDagger Brotherhood has some pretty violent scenes but I would think that its way too campy in some parts for a true sci fi/fantasy reader.

. . . I am trying to think of other vampiric novels that haven't been completely emasculated by the romance authors . . . Will post more later.

If you were asking me about Patricia Briggs' Hurog duology (dragon bones, dragon blood), this is a story showcasing Wardwick, the eldest son of Hurogmeten. The Hurog is an effective leader but a terrible father. He views Ward as his greatest danger and his greatest failure. Ward senses early on that if he showed even the slightest threat to his father's control that his father wouldn't hesitate to smite him. Ward pretends, for most of his life, to be simple. The problem is that when his father dies, no one in Hurog believes that Ward is a competent ruler. Ward must find a way to prove to his people that he can lead. He must fend off other potential candidates vying for power and to save his land and those around him from a dark magic that is threatening to overtake them all. Have I interested anyone? There is a romantic thread that underpins the end of the first novel and the second part and that is what makes it even more of an attractive story for me.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would Charlaine Harris's "Southern Vampire Mysteries" series qualify, da_jane? I've only read the first one Dead Until Dark, so I don't know the whole set. It's not really my thing but it's an intriguing premise, and quite well done, I thought. They have a romance angle in that the main character is being courted by a number of, um, characters, though she's only interested in the one. I'd recommend them without reservation to folks that like that sort of thing.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #13
da_jane
Evangelist

It's not marketed directly to romance readers although I know a number of romance readers read Harris. I also don't find them terribly gory. They are a bit of a cozy mystery. Have you tried her new "Grave" series? Those are pretty interesting. The female protagonist can communicate with dead people and is called in to elicit information from them for monetary purposes and the like. There is an interesting family dynamic between herself and her stepbrother. Some reviewers have suggested its romantic but I find it more to be a connection between two indiviudals who suffered a connected trauma.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

No, I hadn't noticed them yet, thanks for the pointer. That sounds like it might be more in my sphere of interest. Enough to give them a look once I'm finished with all this stuff I've loaded on my Reader.

No, I didn't find the one I read terribly gory either, and I suppose the bookstore folks put them in the SciFi section because they couldn't really figure out where they'd fit better. That's fine though, I'd have likely not found them if they were somewhere else.

I dont' read mysteries much anymore (though I used to read them a lot), I think it's 'cause they don't re-read all that well for me when I already know whodunnit, too much of the story is wrapped up in figuring that out, maybe. I like to be able to re-read the things I enjoy.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

No quite my cup of tea! Thanks for the info. To me its sounds more like horror with romance included.