Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
GPLarge
GPLarge began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
still torn

I am still torn on what reader to get. I know it is a matter of personal preference but wanted others to chime in. I have it down to a Kindle or Nook. Amazon has had a good jump to refine their product but I find the keyboard a bit distracting. Nook still has some issues to work out. Both companies have the authors I like to read. B&N is convenient for me as there are several close by. If there is anissue with the Nook can it be taken in store for replacement or do you have to ship it somewhere? How is customer support for both devices? I do like the design of the Nook as the black frame around the screen tends to draw the eye in to the page and fools the eye to think the contrast is better. Andoid 1.5 may be part of the lag problem with it though. My phone uses the same OS and it can lag pretty bad at times. The agency model, in theory, should make pricing equal although I have noticed prices are all over the place right now. Just looking for input from you folks.
GPLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I'd lean more toward the Nook, just because it can read ePubs from all the other book stores out there, as well as Overdrive ebooks carried by some libraries. With the Kindle, you're tied in to the Amazon store and library books won't work for you. I have to say that I have a personal bias against being walled in to one device/manufacturer/format.

Before settling on a Nook, I would recommend that you look at http://www.inkmesh.com/ and http://ebooks.addall.com/. You might find that the authors you like to read are also available from other book stores, like Sony or BooksonBoard. In all of my searches for authors and titles, if they were available at B&N, they were available at other book stores too. Have you looked at the device wiki? There are several devices out there that are less buggy than the Nook.

For specific Nook questions, I would post a question over in the Nook forum.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
jenifer.a
jenifer.a began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro...Pink of course
I personally own both a Kindle and the Astak EZ Reader PocketPro.

The Kindle is lightweight and has a sleek design, but there is only one font size that each book provides for you, and you cannot buy or read any other books from other websites. I like the built-in wi-fi, and downloading books is quick and easy.

The EZ Reader PocketPro is able to read books from a variety of online sellers because it uses ePub and PDF format. You can also change the font size of the book you are reading, which is SO nice. It does not have wi-fi, but the variety of books you can get is much larger than simply what the Kindle store has to offer. I also like it best because it comes in 6 colors; I have an adorable powder pink reader that is tres chic.

Honestly, I probably use my EZ Reader because it's pink, and I like being able to buy from independent book sellers.
jenifer.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
jimmyrules712
jimmyrules712 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
The Nook really doesn't have the lag and bug problems originally reported. Updates have fixed almost all those issues.

I own a Nook and the main drawbacks I've found are #1 it is a bit heavier than the Kindle, #2, I think the page turning buttons should be laid out opposite of what they are (right now forward button is on button.) and #3 there's some missing features like a go to page option, text search, and I don't like how your Barnes and noble library is listed separate from your other ebooks. Of course technically you can fix all of these complaints by rooting it, but I don't want to mess with that at the moment. Also keep in mind all the software related things may be fixed via updates. #4 The B & N store is not as good as the Kindle store (though it does have the pro of using epub format).

I have no others complaints and the device has worked as promised.
jimmyrules712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPLarge View Post
I am still torn on what reader to get. I know it is a matter of personal preference but wanted others to chime in. I have it down to a Kindle or Nook. Amazon has had a good jump to refine their product but I find the keyboard a bit distracting.
I don't have a Nook, I own an Amazon and a Sony PRS-505. I really like my Kindle, I actually like it more than the SONY.

One thing SONY had was quick bookmarks and the slightly smaller size made it just a little more portable.

But I really like Amazon's customer support. That is something many people do not eval, but is a must for me, there is nothing worse than terrible customer support.

The keyboard is ugly buttons are small but too spaced, however typing is not bad, it's quite nice when I'm adding notes, typing in URLs or searching book content or the web. At that point it's a real blessing. I had my SONY for 2 yrs and thought I did not need a keyboard. But after using the Kindle for 2mo I couldn't go back.

Book Price, Amazon is still the leader here, on an average you will find books cheaper on Amazon than on most other places, however there will always be the case where one bookstore has a better deal than another. If you where patient enough one could always by books at FW at almost 60-80% off. Those days are over now especially due to the publishers forcing everyone to an Agency Model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifer.a View Post
I personally own both a Kindle and the Astak EZ Reader PocketPro.

The Kindle is lightweight and has a sleek design, but there is only one font size that each book provides for you, and you cannot buy or read any other books from other websites.
This is a misconception a lot of people have. Kindle can read books from many web site so long as they do not have DRM. Book stores like ORiely, FeedBooks.com, and Baen all have MOBI format books. In addition one can also read blogs, WIKI and, Web Books via the Kindle Browser.

The one font size is not correct the Kindle supports up to 5 different font sizes.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
GPLarge

after asking some questions in 2 different B&N stores today I may go with the Nook. That decision is based on being able to return it to a brick and mortar store while traveling is the main reason. I was informed that as long as you have the original sales slip and an RMA number from customer service they will exchange in store. That may be enough for me to overlook some of the issues that it has now.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Don't buy the Nook. Its a bad choice frankly, too many disadvantages with the unit.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
GPLarge

Can you elaborate angelad.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I've been looking for a reader for a couple of months now. I've been reading on my AT&T tilt which I like but think a 6" reader would be so much better. If the battery life on the Nook were a little longer, I think a rooted Nook would be the perfect choice. I'm leaning towards a Pocketbook 302 now.

Just my $0.02.
Jim
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote