Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 04:50 AM   #46
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
They set out new dates for borders on their site. looks like they will start shipping on the 18th except for the silver which is scheduled for Sep 25th!!!!!....
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #47
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
That is the whole thing... they are not backorder or out of stock... they got recalled and Sony is tight lip as to why.

It is a good thing I did not wait and got the 505... I have read 5 books so far and 6 more loaded and ready to go. At least those will keep me occupied until the 600 comes out.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #48
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Email sent to Customer Care:

Quote:
Customer Care,

Thank you for letting me know the next date for availability of these readers.

The question was, why was the PRS-600 recalled from the stores? It was not an issue of the units being backordered, sold out, etc. The units at the stores were removed.

As a loyal Sony customer and someone waiting to buy a few of these readers for family and friends, I would like to know.

Was it a product defect that needed correction, an incorrect firmware version that had issues with the memory cards, problems with the licensing for the dictionary, missing items from the packaging??

Kind regards,
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #49
dasony
dasony doesn't litterdasony doesn't litterdasony doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
They set out new dates for borders on their site. looks like they will start shipping on the 18th except for the silver which is scheduled for Sep 25th!!!!!....
That's terrible! I am still waiting for an answer from Sony Customer Center. If I get the same answer, I am canceling my order.
dasony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #50
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminarovich View Post
Well as of 11:30 PM the sony canadian site lists all 600s as out of stock. It will be interesting to see if current orders are shipped within the specified time.
When did you order and what is your order status saying? Mine still says "sent to shipping..."

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #51
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
My local Sonystyle Store in Menlo Park Mall, Edison NJ has Black ones in stock. I asked about the recall, she said they only had to send the red ones back, the first delivery of black they sold out the first 2 hours, and they are absolutely allowed to sell them now.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #52
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
My local Sonystyle Store in Menlo Park Mall, Edison NJ has Black ones in stock. I asked about the recall, she said they only had to send the red ones back, the first delivery of black they sold out the first 2 hours, and they are absolutely allowed to sell them now.
I think its just a point of confusion. As part of the launch celebration they had cakes made in the different colors of all of the readers. A Sony exec overheard two people talking about bugs in the red reader:
http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.asp

As soon as he figures out they were talking about the red icing on the cake that was shaped like a reader, they will get the go ahead to ship out all of the units.

(I hope it was obvious I was just kidding, but since English isn't the native language for every one here, it was just a joke.)
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #53
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I just picked up a black 600 from the Dallas Galleria store. I have been calling once a day to check stock as you well know by now. The salesman answered that yes he did have some in stock and he had in fact sold two already. I asked him to confirm with the manager. They confirmed and said they would hold one for me as i drove over.

So I got the unit and looked at the packaging. The package had been opened and re-sealed. There were large white circles over the smaller original circles that show the package to be unopened. The salesman could not tell me what was changed or added. He did confirm that they were the original units that were held earlier.

I have the book charging now and cannot wait to use it in the AM. By a happy coincidence, my cover came via fedex today. Brown cover, black device. OK I guess.

P.S. It performed a firmware update as soon as I connected it.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #54
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by yessirrom View Post
I just picked up a black 600 from the Dallas Galleria store. I have been calling once a day to check stock as you well know by now. The salesman answered that yes he did have some in stock and he had in fact sold two already. I asked him to confirm with the manager. They confirmed and said they would hold one for me as i drove over.

So I got the unit and looked at the packaging. The package had been opened and re-sealed. There were large white circles over the smaller original circles that show the package to be unopened. The salesman could not tell me what was changed or added. He did confirm that they were the original units that were held earlier.

I have the book charging now and cannot wait to use it in the AM. By a happy coincidence, my cover came via fedex today. Brown cover, black device. OK I guess.

P.S. It performed a firmware update as soon as I connected it.
Nice....congratulations so how are you liking it so far? And how are you liking the Cover? Is it like the 505 and 700 with fit and flipping it back magazine style?
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #55
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I like it. I had played with the store display long enough to irritate the staff and get a feel for the touch interface and dictionary support.

I use my reader to read a book every week or two as well as reading my scriptures. Scripture use is where the touch interface helps immensely. On the 505, if I am looking for John 3:16, I would have to go to John, press down three times, and then page to verse 16 or press down 16 times to get to that verse. Now I just press the chapter, book and verse. This is all from my converted mobipocket files.

The edges of the 600 are more rounded and it feels better in the hand to me. Both the corners and the sides are rounded and feel nice.

The cover looks to be the same size as the 505 cover. There is a more textured surface and the corners are rounded. The magnets do not feels as strong as on my 505 case either. It does fold back easily. My old case had no branding. The new one says Sony on the front and Reader on the back. It is a dark brown rather than light.

The device is charging and I have not gotten a chance to see how well the touch page turns work. I anticipate this to be way better than the button method. I read for an hour or more per session and often get finger fatigue from pressing the same button repeatedly.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #56
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
We could not buy the Sony 505 from our neighbouring country Germany. Even after an introductory period. Naturally, you can always go to a country where they sell it and pick one up from a local store. It's just a question on which store will have it when.
Sorry, I meant that they might both just have pre-orders, but by your posts elsewhere it does seem like the netherlands is leading the way in europe this time round as far as release dates.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #57
dasony
dasony doesn't litterdasony doesn't litterdasony doesn't litter

Darn, I just got a mail from SonyStyle, and the new estimated shipping date for my PRS-600 has been delayed to 9/8. Maybe it's because I ordered a red one.
dasony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #58
jedthehumanoid
jedthehumanoid began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition
I'm surprised not anyone have commented that B&H has got some of the new readers in stock ready for ordering.
Also it seems to be legit stock status, since I just put an order on a red Touch Edition and it has been dispatched to UPS for delivery to Sweden

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Di...6/N/4294542603

Last edited by jedthehumanoid; 09-04-2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: added link
jedthehumanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #59
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would think this would affect the UK launch of the 600. Not a good sign at all.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote