Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #46
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Does GuteBook work on Vista 64-bit?

It installed but when I tried to use it icons were missing and it wouldn't convert anything.

I installed it on my XP netbook and it worked beautifully.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #47
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
Does GuteBook work on Vista 64-bit?

It installed but when I tried to use it icons were missing and it wouldn't convert anything.

I installed it on my XP netbook and it worked beautifully.
I thought it worked under Vista 64-bit, but I'll test it again for you. BTW, which Gutebook installer version did you use, if other than the current v0.5?

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-14-2009 at 05:57 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #48
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I thought it worked under Vista 64-bit, but I'll test it again for you. BTW, which Gutebook installer version did you use, if other than the current v0.5?
I'm not sure which installer. The file was GUItenMark-Win32-setup.exe. I assume this is the latest version. I tried everything suggested in the installation instructions.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #49
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure which installer. The file was GUItenMark-Win32-setup.exe. I assume this is the latest version. I tried everything suggested in the installation instructions.
Ok, if you're talking about GutenMark's use within GuteBook, then I think that is a GutenMark issue I've come across myself. GutenMark needs the GutenMark.cfg file to be in the binary subdirectory as well as its usual location in the GutConfigs subdirectory. Just copy it over once and hopefully that message will go away.

However, this only comes up when the Etext-No. you've supplied GuteBook has no .html version and a .txt version must be downloaded from PG. This .txt version then needs to be converted internally to .html and GuteBook uses GutenMark for that task.

Please be sure to also checkmark the 'Use GutenMark for internal .txt to .htm' GUI option on the first page of options or else there will be no conversion of that .txt.

Hopefully this will clear up any issues you are having with GuteBook!

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-14-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #50
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Jon, I implemented a new feature in version 0.6 which will strip those <hr> lines, if needed to.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on it and will be posting an updated version soon.

I also implemented this feature for epub's and have already uploaded some sample .epubs that use the "Fontin" font. Can you check if my implementation works on your reader for the files attached before I finalize my v0.6 release? (Font file not supplied )

Thanks!
Seemed to look fine on my EZ Reader. I don't know what font I had.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #51
corroonb
Addict

Quote:
Ok, if you're talking about GutenMark's use within GuteBook, then I think that is a GutenMark issue I've come across myself. GutenMark needs the GutenMark.cfg file to be in the binary subdirectory as well as its usual location in the GutConfigs subdirectory. Just copy it over once and hopefully that message will go away.

However, this only comes up when the Etext-No. you've supplied GuteBook has no .html version and a .txt version must be downloaded from PG. This .txt version then needs to be converted internally to .html and GuteBook uses GutenMark for that task.

Please be sure to also checkmark the 'Use GutenMark for internal .txt to .htm' GUI option on the first page of options or else there will be no conversion of that .txt.

Hopefully this will clear up any issues you are having with GuteBook!
Thanks, I appreciate your help. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited by corroonb; 08-14-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #52
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Seemed to look fine on my EZ Reader. I don't know what font I had.

Dale
It should have used the "Fontin" font, if installed, otherwise, it should have just used your default font.

I understood that "Fontin" was a popular substitute font that could be copied over to the Sony Reader and then the embedded fonts CSS in a .epub could then specify its use.

By the way, the GuteBook options (second) screen allows you to specify any "font-family" that you have embedded, but only one for regular/bold/italics/b+i.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #53
nrapallo

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate your help. Sorry about the confusion.
Oh, don't worry, no confusion, as it does appear that GuteBook is partly at fault as well.

I just tried installing GuteBook under Vista and now see the issue more clearly since the default location is different from WinXP i.e. for GuteBook it is "C:\Program files (x86)\GuteBook" and for GutenMark it's "C:\Program files (x86)\GutenMark".

However, in GuteBook, I assume that GutenMark is in "C:\Program files\GutenMark" which is fine for WinXP, but not so for Vista.

I'll fix that behaviour in the v0.6 release, but in the meantime, just replace the 'gutebook-run.cmd' file in the GuteBook install directory with the one in the attached .zip below (overwriting the existing one).
Attached Files
File Type: zip gutebook-run.zip (489 Bytes, 410 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-15-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #54
corroonb
Addict

Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #55
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
nrapallo,

Thanks for creating this GuteBook. I am having trouble creating en epub from a Gutenberg text. GuteBook is looking for a file called "any2epub" and can't find it. I do have Calibre installed (version 0.6.8) and that file doesn't seem to be included in the latest version of Calibre. Am I doing something wrong?
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #56
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanos View Post
nrapallo,

Thanks for creating this GuteBook. I am having trouble creating en epub from a Gutenberg text. GuteBook is looking for a file called "any2epub" and can't find it. I do have Calibre installed (version 0.6.8) and that file doesn't seem to be included in the latest version of Calibre. Am I doing something wrong?
In the (latest) version v0.5 of GuteBook, I allowed for a transition from using calibre command line utilities from version 0.5.14 (any2epub) to 'ebook-convert' from calibre 0.6+.

To use the older calbire version, an empty file called 'calibreold' was placed in the Gutebook install directory. To now use the newer calibre v0.6.8, just delete that file or rename it '_calibreold'.

Should you have any other issues, just post which etext no. you are trying to convert to .epub and I can test to see if there are 'other' issues.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #57
Stephanos
Connoisseur

Thanks. I did notice another issue. I converted Gutenberg text 10739 (Schopenhauer) and ended up losing the "Translator's Preface". This is probably an issue with Gutenmark but any light you can shed on it would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #58
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanos View Post
Thanks. I did notice another issue. I converted Gutenberg text 10739 (Schopenhauer) and ended up losing the "Translator's Preface". This is probably an issue with Gutenmark but any light you can shed on it would be appreciated.
Yes, you're right that GutenMark creates this issue as the translated .txt to .htm has the header removed ( the <DIV class=NOPRINT> ... </DIV>) and that header extends too far. The closing </DIV> just before <h1>HUMAN NATURE.</h1> should have occurred before the Title Page and Translator's Preface. Below is that HTML code created by GutenMark for Etext No. 10739:
Code:
<DIV class=NOPRINT>
<h1>Prefatory Materials</h1>

<blockquote><i><font size="-1">
This is a modified etext created by <b>GutenMark</b> software.
&nbsp; Any comments below about etext preparation refer to the
<u>original</u>, and not to this modified version of the etext.&nbsp;
No individuals named below bear responsibility for changes to the text.
</font></i></blockquote>

<p>Project Gutenberg’s The Essays Of Arthur Schopenhauer,
by Arthur Schopenhauer</p>

<p>This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no
cost and with<br>
almost no restrictions whatsoever.*  You may copy
it, give it away or<br>
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg
License included<br>
with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.net</p>

<p>Title:* The Essays Of Arthur Schopenhauer</p>

<p>Author:* Arthur Schopenhauer</p>

<p>Release Date:* January 18, 2004 [EBook #10739]</p>

<p>Language:* English</p>

<p>Character set encoding:* ISO-8859-1</p>

<p>*** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK THE ESSAYS
OF ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER ***</p>

<p>Produced by Juliet Sutherland, Josephine Paolucci
and the Online<br>
Distributed Proofreading Team.</p>

<p>THE ESSAYS</p>

<p>OF</p>

<p>ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER</p>

<p>TRANSLATED BY</p>

<p>T. BAILEY SAUNDERS, M.A.</p>

<p>ON HUMAN NATURE.</p>

<p>CONTENTS.</p>

<p>**HUMAN NATURE<br>
**GOVERNMENT<br>
**FREE-WILL AND FATALISM<br>
**CHARACTER<br>
**MORAL INSTINCT<br>
**ETHICAL REFLECTIONS</p>

<p>TRANSLATOR’S PREFACE.</p>

<p>The following essays are drawn from the chapters entitled
<i>Zur Ethik</i><br>
and <i>Zur Rechtslehre und Politik</i> which are to
be found both in<br>
Schopenhauer’s <i>Parerga</i> and in his posthumous
writings.* As in my<br>
previous volumes, so also in this, I have omitted
a few passages which<br>
appeared to me to be either antiquated or no longer
of any general<br>
interest.* For convenience’ sake I have
divided the original chapters<br>
into sections, which I have had to name; and I have
also had to invent<br>
a title which should express their real scope.*
The reader will find<br>
that it is not so much <i>Ethics</i> and <i>Politics</i>
that are here treated,<br>
as human nature itself in various aspects.</p>

<p>T.B.S.</p>

</DIV>
<h1>HUMAN NATURE.</h1>
Please note that I used the following commands (in bold) to see this HTML code:
Code:
E:\ebooks\GuteBook\10739\10739-8>..\..\bin\setpath

E:\ebooks\GuteBook\10739\10739-8>gutenmark --no-prefatory --yes-header --page-breaks 10739-8.txt 10739-8.htm
But all is not lost, as with GuteBook, you can make a quick fix and re-generate your ebook(s) without re-running the GuteBook GUI.

Here's how I would do that:
1. Extract/copy the html code for that Title Page and Translator's Preface i.e.
Code:
<p>THE ESSAYS</p>

<p>OF</p>

<p>ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER</p>
down to the the line just before the closing </DIV> and paste it into the 10739-8-h.htm file created by GuteBook.
2. 'double-click' the rebuild-10739.bat in the 10739 folder.
3. Inspect your resulting ebook(s) and if not acceptable go back to step 1 above and re-fix the HTML code. For instance, the Translator's Preface contains some <br> that should really be removed to properly allow reflow and I wanted the first chapter (HUMAN NATURE) to then start on a new page. I did re-run rebuild-10739.bat and that's what I'll attached here.

To show you what get's produced, I attach the modified 10739.epub for your review and reading pleasure.

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-24-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #59
Stephanos
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot for the help. I like the way that GuteBook leaves all of the source files and the batch file so that the user can manipulate these and rebuild the output files if necessary.

The line of text indicating the end of a PG header always seems to be a standardized "*** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK..." and it is no different in the Schopenhauer file, so it's a mystery why Gutenmark mishandled this one. Anyway, from now on if something seems missing from the output file I will either rebuild the output using the method you suggested (if the file is too long to re-download) or re-run GuteBook using the "Keep PG Header" option and manually removing the header later.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Last edited by Stephanos; 08-24-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #60
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Hey,
Just installed GuteBook GUI 0.5 - apparently I need to install more, will do tomorrow (late)
Just idea off top of head: Gutenberg already produce (computer generated) EPUB files. Might it be possible to 'insert' a improved CSS sheet into these EPUB files to improve their viewability? Seemed more straightforward than regenerating a whole new EPUB file from source..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, front end, gui, gutenberg, maker, perl