Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
eurasiarc
eurasiarc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD +
Problems With Duplicate File Sends to Tablet

I am using Calbre and Calbre Companion as well as Adliko Pro and Moon + reader applications on my Nook HD + tablet which is using the latest Android operating system that includes Google play apps and Google play.

Unfortunately Barnes & Noble tech support is outdated and provides no constructive information on how to use the updated operating system or file management that involves an external microSD card.

I am using Calibre companion to upload or send epub and other book files to the external microSD card, which I have specified as the default file location for files transferred to the device using Calibre for PC. I am finding that files sent to my device in this way appear both on the internal storage card AND the external microSD card. Unless the Nook device is physically connected to the PC by a USB cable, Calibre does not recognize the external microSD card and when I choose the send option I am only given the option of sending to main memory, even though Calibre companion on the Nook Device is configured to store files on the microSD card. Files sent or uploaded in this way are ending up on both cards, the internal memory or SD card and the external microSD card. Only when I connect the device by USB to the PC does the option to send to Send to Storage Card A or Send to Storage Card B option appear in Calibre for PC. Even if the device is connected by cable and I chose only the Send to Storage Card A optlion, I am getting the same file on both the internal and external memory cards.

I would appreciate any info on why this may be happening and how to get around it. When I use a file manager to see what files are on each card I see exactly the same files on each card. I also see the same files in the sub folders on each card for the Moon and Adliko readers for some reason. I am not sure if some of the files that appear in the listings are just shortcuts to the same file, but they appear to be the same file stored in multiple locations, which, of course, takes up a great deal of storage space.

Any information that can help clarify these issues will be much appreciated.

Last edited by eurasiarc; 09-28-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spellling improvement
eurasiarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Not sure what is going on, but it seems clear that the nook is copying books from the SD card to main memory. I am not sure why it would do such a thing, but that is the only reasonable explanation.

CC will write exactly one copy of a file to the folder specified in its setup. Because the setup is done in CC on a format-by-format basis, there is no reason to make any distinction in CC between "Main", "Card A", and "Card B". The entire device, including SD cards, is considered "Main".

Calibre also will write exactly one copy. IIRC you can tell it to use a different folder "prefix" per format. These prefixes are added to the main/cardA etc when the file is written to the device.

My guess is that the built-in reader app doesn't like SD cards, so is copying part of all of the books to main memory so it can open them. This is, of course, a total guess. Perhaps someone else with a B&N device can provide more detail.

Aldiko always imports books into its own folders, which is why you are seeing two copies for books it is asked to open. The only way to avoid this is not to use Aldiko.

Moon+ will not do an import unless you ask it to, which I never do because I see no reason to use Moon+'s library manager. It does create some temporary files that it uses while you are reading the book.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
eurasiarc
eurasiarc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD +
Thanks very much for the explanation on where Calibre sends the files and about the difference in the way Aldiko and Moon store files. I am still trying to figure out exactly where files are being stored on the Nook. I started using Calibre on the internal storage card so some of the books on the internal card may be from that time. The Nook part of the OS simply lists files as "Books" or "Files" and it doesn't seem to matter which card they are stored on. They all seem to be listed under "Books". There is a separate folder for Calibre Companion.

When I get this straightened out for sure I will post an update.
eurasiarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre companion, file management, files