Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Typegenius "Sharpness"

Kobo's "Typegenius" feature (accessible if you select "Advanced" next to a font name) lets you adjust "Weight" and "Sharpness."

I get what "Weight" does -- it makes the characters bolder -- and can clearly see the difference as I adjust the slider.

But I don't understand what "Sharpness" does. I can't see a visible difference on my Kobo Glo (although I have aging eyes, so that shouldn't be taken to mean that there is no difference). What, precisely, does Sharpness adjust? What does it change on a per-pixel basis?

Thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I think it refers to anti-aliasing, or the addition of grey pixels surrounding the sharp edges of the font. Sharper would mean less anti-aliasing. The effect could be invisible if the DPI is high enough or if you hold the device far enough away, or if your eyesight is not sharp enough to see pixels.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Kobo's "Typegenius" feature (accessible if you select "Advanced" next to a font name) lets you adjust "Weight" and "Sharpness."

I get what "Weight" does -- it makes the characters bolder -- and can clearly see the difference as I adjust the slider.

But I don't understand what "Sharpness" does. I can't see a visible difference on my Kobo Glo (although I have aging eyes, so that shouldn't be taken to mean that there is no difference). What, precisely, does Sharpness adjust? What does it change on a per-pixel basis?
I haven't really looked at it but the two techniques popular for increasing the perceived sharpness of a font are subpixel rendering which is more commonly found on colour displays (LCD, OLED) and is used by Microsoft's ClearType, Quartz, Adobe's CoolType, etc -- basically, you use the 3 colours to effectively triple the resolution though if you look closely enough, you can see colour fringing. The other option is pixel anti-aliasing which can be used with hinting to improve the appearance. From what I've seen playing with TypeGenius, is that Kobo's fonts that support TypeGenius without Metazoa's patch have the hinting information.

You can check Wikipedia for more on subpixel rendering and other anti-aliasing techniques. One quick link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_rasterization.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
tls
Enthusiast
tls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nexys 7
Quote:

Thanks!
If you have the Sharpness slider at the minimum level, you should see the characters have a grey halo and look almost blurry.

At the maximum level, that halo is gone. Edges will be sharp black/white.
tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
So is it correct that it is faster to render fonts with higher sharpness? If so, and if I can't tell the difference between maximum and minimum sharpness, then I may as well just set it to maximum.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The amount of sharpness effect you'll see depends on the font you're using.

It's based on how the human eye perceives sharpness. When something looks blurry or out-of-focus to you, it's because the lines and edges are fuzzy, spread out in space and blending into each other. When something looks sharp, it's because there's high contrast at the lines and edges, changing quickly from dark to light (or vice-versa) instead of blending gradually. So to make something appear artificially "sharper" to your eyes, they simply increase the contrast of lines and edges, often exaggerating them to the point where there's a bright line on one side of the edge and a dark line on the other side. On the eInk screen it's a little bit more limited. All they can do is reduce or remove the grey blending pixels used for anti-aliasing the font.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I commented on the sharpness in another post here.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Thanks!
I was just playing around with the settings on My Aura HD and notice that the text seems to shift a bit when playing with the sharpness.. So it looks to me that the text is smoothed out on the edges(?) making it appear to be more crisp. Then again I could be entirely wrong as I cant seem to find any resources on the net that explain it at all.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Thank you, everybody!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote