Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #76
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
Good suggestion, but it would be nice for it to be synced in such a way as to allow me to do this on the Kobo.

Nigol, how would I go about editing the CSS file? I can't quite figure it out. Thanks!
Explode the ePub using calibre and search for *.css then open it in an editor. Look for the following:

Code:
.calibre {
    display: block;
    font-size: 1em;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 6pt;
    margin-right: 6pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    text-align: justify
}
Delete the following lines:

Code:
I personally think it is best to use Sigil to tweak ePubs rather than calibre to convert them, because if you use calibre you will see difficult to follow classes like .calibre, .calibre1, etc. In better formed CSS, you will look to delete margin and padding attributes from within the BODY tag. For example:

Code:
body {
    display: block;
    font-size: 1em;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-top: 0;
    text-align: justify;
}

Last edited by jswinden; 07-16-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #77
kiddish1234
kiddish1234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
To all the KOBO developers, I have to tell you, I bought my kobo touch just two week after it came out. I wasn't as impressed until I heard of the firmware upgrade features for 1.9.5 and to top it with 1.9.6 which convinced me I should have not returned it to Indigo. So I will be going out to purchasing it and upgrade the latest firmware. I would love to contribute to the developers anyway I can, donation, testing or give some input/ideas. I wish you all a success on feature firmware upgrades and keep this community with freedom in mind.

Im sure you are aware of the ideas/suggestions that may have been posted in this forum which did some digging, but let me give you my own suggestions to add to this just because I want to and feel like sharing:

Firmware/Software Upgrade suggestions:

-Neon/lights used by the LED to read at night (im sure we require a hardware upgrade for this if its impossible)
-I read through the forum and to my knowledge the dictionary can be used with epub side downloaded ebooks, can this be cross verified with pdf as well ?
-It would be great to have some "educational" games like the suduko (easter egg) that was integrated, maybe chess or card games.
-Downloading blogs and RSS feed would be a great feature to add for latest news to read (equivilant to the newspaper which already exists)
-Maybe this is not usefull, but a ruler or some sort to track words//sentence where we left of within the page ? (not sure if the highlight feature was made for that reason too)
-Im not sure, but it would be nice to have kobo remember your book flavors so when you purchasing online you can get suggestions.
-Side notes to write on a page
-Mood feature (when kobo knows your reading habbits when you get tired of reading, depending on the day or hours of the day) ex: if you read more during the morning or during the night, kobo would record a little memory of your usage and tries to go with your mood ?

Ty
kiddish1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #78
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
1.9.6 doesn't seem to have improved the accuracy of the battery meter. Mine was showing about 25% when I powered off. Came back an hour later and it wouldn't turn on until I plugged it in.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #79
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Lock Up

Well seems to me I experianced my first bug with the Kobo Touch. Today I was reading along and the unit froze on the book I was reading. Would not respond to anything I did for a number of minutes. When it did finaly respond It went through all the Things I tried till it shut off.

Soft ware version 1.9.6 never did this before this was updated.

Any one else?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #80
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Well seems to me I experianced my first bug with the Kobo Touch. Today I was reading along and the unit froze on the book I was reading. Would not respond to anything I did for a number of minutes. When it did finaly respond It went through all the Things I tried till it shut off.

Any one else?

regards

Jack
I've had that happen before although the non-responsiveness seems to be for a shorter period of time for me than you... It seems like it's getting bogged down processing something in the background that's eating up all the CPU time.

1.9.6 actually seems to be better about this to me though, than 1.9.5 was. (I've only used those two fw to any extent as it came OOB w/1.9 which upgraded through the linux desktop app to 1.9.5 as soon as I had gotten it home. Then I did 1.9.6 last week OTA... IIRC...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #81
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejim View Post
I was able to update (from 1.9.5) manually from GNU/Linux (Ubuntu)...snip
Thank you very much for providing this. Great to see that I can update my Kobo without the desktop software or windows

dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #82
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post

Any one else?

regards

Jack
A minor update and possible cause(?) in that I noticed that it tends to happen more often than not after the Touch has "slept" a couple of times...
Old 07-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #83
cutterjohn42
Addict

Double post, but this is so this'll get noticed.

I've noticed since this fw (1.9.6) that IF I power OFF while in the reading app (epub sideloaded) that the power off screen does NOT appear(I have it set to NOT display covers, but the generic sleep/off screens) OR appears garbled.

IF I go to the HOME screen and THEN power OFF the power off screen ALWAYS displays properly

OR

IF it goes to sleep then hits the 15m power off setting the power off screen also displays normally whether or not the in the reading app or home screen.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #84
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
I've noticed since this fw (1.9.6) that IF I power OFF while in the reading app (epub sideloaded) that the power off screen does NOT appear(I have it set to NOT display covers, but the generic sleep/off screens) OR appears garbled.
I have not been able to reproduce this behavior with my side-loaded EPUBs. How did you side-load your EPUBs?
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #85
cutterjohn42
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
I have not been able to reproduce this behavior with my side-loaded EPUBs. How did you side-load your EPUBs?
The one that I'm using? Heh, can't remember now if I pulled the uSD when shutdown put in SD adapter, put adapter in nb reader, and copied over to card directly using linux OR IF I used calibre...

I'm more inclined to believe that I did the manual copy as i got used to it with the WiFi not playing well with Calibre nor manually mount while inserted in WiFi so it trained me to power down, remove card, and use my nb's reader...