Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Burroughs, Edgar Rice: I Am A Barbarian v1. 11 Apr 07

This is a lesser known Edgar Rice Burroughs story about a man named Britannicus. He was a slave for 25 years and belonged to Caligula, who was emperor of Rome from A.D. 37 to 41.

Caligula, as far as we know, was insane. This made life for Britannicus a bit tricky. I only just started reading it so the verdict is out on if I like it or not.

Ok, go easy on me, this is my first book posting. I also created my own cover for this e-book edition. (If interested: I roughed out a quick little sketch in charcoal and pastels, scanned it in and then laid out the info for the cover.)

I also put a blurb on the cover regarding mobileread.com in case the book "escapes" our readers and gets out in the real world, I figured it would be nice if everyone knows where it came from.

Please let me know if I broke any rules regarding the mobileread.com logo and image. I'm allowing my artwork for this to be public domain so no worries.

I'm on a Mac, so I don't have access to Book Designer or anything as advanced. I use "Libriate" and it doesn't offer me any options to adjust font size or anything. But the formatting is pretty clean. Comments are always welcome though

Last edited by tsgreer; 04-12-2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Because I am an idiot!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #2
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Ok, guys, so I spend ALL evening working the cover, getting the book formatted, and then right after I post, I realize that this book may not be public domain!!! Grrrr..

I was so into it and just assumed that all of Burroughs stuff was public domain. I have no excuse other than it's really late and past my bedtime! Ahhh, nothing like my very first book posting to pointless. Sorry!
Advert
Old 04-12-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks anyways... it was well meant!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Good show, wanting to check it, tsgreer, I do hope it turns out that it's PD. You've got me really curious about the cover art you came up with, though!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
tsgreer

I can't find anything that says it's PD.

But I can post the cover art here if you want me to. Maybe someone can see it as a use for a cover for a book they are planning on posting. It's currently a black and white .gif file, proportioned for the Reader. I can post with my current text on it, but I can change the title and author if someone wants to use. It's free of course..

Is it ok to post the cover art here? I may as well get some use out of this painting. Maybe Harry could use for some upcoming Haggard stories?

Last edited by tsgreer; 04-12-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: update
Advert
Old 04-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It took me three tries to post my first book at MobileRead. I didn't read the error messages correctly. Thankfully a few nice people were kind enough to point out that I had posted about a book but failed to include the book.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, I'm afraid this book very definitely isn't in the public domain - thanks for removing it! Burroughs died in 1950 (which means that all the works published during his lifetime are in the public domain in "Life + 50" copyright law countries, such as Australia), but "I Am a Barbarian" was a posthumous work, not published until 1967, so it's very definitely not PD, unfortunately!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
tsgreer

Thanks Harry, that's what threw me off. He wrote it in 1947, but I wasn't aware 1967 was the first published date. Actually I don't even know where I got it now that I am researching! It's in my folder with the rest of his stuff, but I promise to check before I post next time.

I caught it right after I posted, but I should have double-checked before posting. Lesson learned. Thanks Harry! See? You inspired me so much, that I was rushing and not thinking...

Ok, so can I at least do the Moon Men then? I already have an idea for the cover...
Old 04-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You don't need my permission - do whatever takes your fancy . I'll carry on with my "bare bones" Tarzan stuff, but I've no plans to do any other Burroughs stuff in the immediate future.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
.... but what about the cover art you did. Can you share that with us?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
tsgreer

Sure, but I'm not sure how to post pics. Do I just attach the file? It's a small size, since I sized it for the Reader.

Actually I don't know if it's worth sharing or not, but I can. I actually kept it pretty simple, but I have a style that I am trying to do for each book cover. Layout and placement of text on cover stays the same, but I do different art for each one.

Mostly I sketch them on my lunch hour, and they are pretty quick since they don't have to be very big. My co-workers usually end up being the inspiration since they have be my model. They wanna see the final covers, but I tell them they have to buy an e-book reader first....
Old 04-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #12
tsgreer

Ok, a couple of people asked about my cover art for this book. Well since I can't post the book, here is the artwork. Charcoal and black pastels. I'm actually going to finish it with color pastels but haven't and a chance and this artwork is the scanned version so far. This is a small .jpg file.

All of my covers will follow this same format though. Thanks for the feedback guys (and gals), you all are awesome.

P.S. I hope I'm not breaking the rule by posting this, I know Harry only wants books, but maybe this kinda sorta counts since it the cover of a book I can't post?
Attached Files
File Type: zip IAmBarbarianCVR.jpg.zip (146.9 KB, 1104 views)
Old 04-13-2007, 02:13 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fine by me .
Old 04-13-2007, 02:14 AM   #14
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
You should get in contact with Greg Weeks from Project Gutenberg. He can tell you for sure if the book is public domain or not. http://durendal.org:8080/
If the book has been published before 1923 then it is safely in the public domain. If not it probably needed copyright renewal.
I checked in this database http://collections.stanford.edu/copy...e?forward=home which tells us that the book may have its copyright not been renewed. This does not mean it is out of copyright. It means that more digging is needed.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #15
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
VERY nice cover! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing...
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote