Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
zorro18
zorro18 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
NAB Catholic Bible for nook

Am having difficulty looking for a e-NAB for nook.
Can anyone help?
Much appreciated, thank you.
zorro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You can get an html version at the Vatican website:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/_INDEX.HTM
or here:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
zorro18

Thank you, Patricia. I'm an e-book idiot and a 2-day owner of a nook. How do I get them on to my nook and what format will it be if I'm required to convert the text ie pdf, epub or pdb?

Was looking at an e-book that can do Chapter/Verse search..

Last edited by zorro18; 03-28-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that they're going to need converting. I would use Calibre. Why not check out the calibre section of the forum?

The NAB is still in copyright, so I can't make one for our MR upload section.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
...as is every Catholic liturgical book and Bible in English. I have a nice breviary set in Latin on the BBEB section, though. lol
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
zorro18

For starters, I hope to put James (Intro and 4 Chapters) into my nook via Calibre which I have taken from the usccb.org website (html format).

I was able to convert to epub but the end result was 5 separate books for James.
How do I convert a multi-chapter Book into a single Book (ie James) listing 5 chapters in the TOC on the nook?

I hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to describe. Not too good with words....

Step-by-step instructions will definitely help. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader

I think that you had best post that question in the Calibre forum.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
A while back I asked the copyright holders whether I can convert NAB for Kindle and epub. The response was that they are currently working on an update and will only consider the request once the update is finished.

So, the only Catholic Bible alternative right now for the Kindle (and you could probably convert it easily to epub because it has no DRM), Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033PSG1Y/
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I couldn't find the Jerusalem Bible.
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
http://www.freecatholicebooks.com/

http://saintsbooks.net/default.htm
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
A while back I asked the copyright holders whether I can convert NAB for Kindle and epub. The response was that they are currently working on an update and will only consider the request once the update is finished.
I feared that same denial after my attempt a few years ago to create an ebook version of the NAB website for one of my ebook readers, the EBW1150.

I subsequently generated .pdf and .prc versions of same (for other ebook readers), but without any "right" to redistribute it, they remain solely with me.

I posted about my ebook version here with screenshots here.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks! I have recently been thinking about looking for The Story of a Soul, and I see that it is prominently featured on your first link!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil doesn't litterTom Bombadil doesn't litter

Device: EeePC, nook 3G, kobo1, DSi, DS Lite, Sony PRS-350.
Hi all,

I just want to point out to the Douay Rheims english translation pdfs hosted here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1364&highlight

Thank you Deputy-Dawg!

I use the separate OT1, OT2, and NT on my nook for quicker loading. Personally, I like the Douay because it's very english and very catholic imho.

In Jesu et Maria,
Tom Bombadil

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 07-27-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typos
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Yes, I forgot when this originally was posted that the Douay-Rheims, in all its many versions, is available in the public domain...and is probably the only complete, English, Catholic Bible that is.

Several notes to D-R readers, though:

1. As with the King James Version, the D-R is in a form of English from the late 1500's.
2. Rather than being a complete translation from the oldest manuscripts (even for the day) it is a translation from the Latin Vulgate (which itself has been updated since.)
3. Textually, many older manuscripts have been discovered since the time this work was translated (a reason the Vulgate itself was updated). So, as with the KJV, throw historical accuracy and any serious study out the window.
4. Because of its heavy use of the Vulgate (itself a translation of the Septuagint), the titles of some books and segments of books as well as their order in the Bible are unfamiliar and perhaps confusing.
5. As with the above, the Psalms will be particularly confusing, as the numbering, versification, and quantity of psalms are different.

As long as these are kept in mind, the D-R is a wonderfully stilted, public-doman, Catholic Bible that is suitable for private devotion, but not much else. If I recall correctly, the OP was looking for an electronic copy of the NAB for his parish Bible study. The D-R would be particularly unsuitable today for such.

Last edited by beartard; 07-27-2010 at 08:48 PM.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #15
Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil doesn't litterTom Bombadil doesn't litter

Device: EeePC, nook 3G, kobo1, DSi, DS Lite, Sony PRS-350.
I'm not saying anyone should replace whatever they want or need with DR. I was just pointing that out for convenience's sake Obviously one has to check with whatever approved for official use. Btw, English isn't my native tongue, but strangely, I'm more familiar with DR than to newer translations. probably it's because I read other non-english translations other than the obvious Vulgate often as reference.

@beartard: Where can I buy that breviary set of yours beartard? Is it breviary or liturgy of the hours? Can it be converted to epub for nook? Is it usable in terms of flicking between propers/ordinary? Sorry for the OT. PM is most welcome.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote